This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now where did I put that shop rag???

This was posted over on the V8 Buick Board by one of my pure stock racin' buddies. This is a Vortec V6 in a Blazer that the owner did a valve cover and intake gasket change, and then lost oil pressure.
    If you always wondered what would happen if you left a shop rag in the lifter valley, here are the results!! What looks like red Permatex all over the crank and rods is really remnants of the red shop rag. This ended up becoming a total engine rebuild (read expen$ive) for the Blazer owner!!
    Remember where you left all of your rags!!!!

Frank Remlinger
    SDC# A004602R

Dang! That looks bad.

Chris Pile
    StudeFolk Manager
    http://tiny.cc/RYqAK
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Reminds me of the Mt.St.Helens eruption here in the NW. One of the widely circulated tips was to wrap your air filter element in a pair of panty hose (a homemade pre-filter).
      One owner apparently just removed the lid and layed the panty hose inside. The local Olds dealer had a photo of the engine with the intake manifold removed and melted nylon stuck in all the intake valves.

Dwain G.

Comment

This reminds me of the pix posted some years ago on a ford forum I read where someone (person A) left a intake manifold sitting on a bench with a shelf above it. A open box of BB's for a BB gun was on the shelf and got tipped over (by person B); spilling some into the intake. Person B cleaned up the spill, but not the intake. Person A comes back, puts the engine back together, starts it, and all [}] breaks loose. The pictures showed BB's embedded in the pistons and other carnage It must have sounded quite exciting.....[]

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Wow - That's ugly enough to be a modern art masterpiece.

I've had a few close calls where i've knocked something down an open carb, or intake... but I alwasys seem to remember to do a triple check right before I hit the key. It'll get your heart pumpin' and a bad case of the "what if's" LOL.

Chris Salisbury
          Hutto/Austin, TX

1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop

Comment

Class of 1970-I put the 283 I rebuilt in auto shop class in a 55 Chevy 2dr post. Lost oil pressure and spun a bearing before I'd driven more than 5 miles. Paper towels in oil pan.sabotage. Junked the car.

Oglesby,Il
            61Hawk "Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"
            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jeff_H

This reminds me of the pix posted some years ago on a ford forum I read where someone (person A) left a intake manifold sitting on a bench with a shelf above it. A open box of BB's for a BB gun was on the shelf and got tipped over (by person B); spilling some into the intake. Person B cleaned up the spill, but not the intake. Person A comes back, puts the engine back together, starts it, and all [}] breaks loose. The pictures showed BB's embedded in the pistons and other carnage It must have sounded quite exciting.....[]

I saw something similar over at Miata.net...
              http://www.miata.net/apple/images/piston3.jpg
              whole story here http://www.miata.net/apple/0111.html
              EEEEK

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop
              http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i44/DansStudes/
              http://s427.photobucket.com/albums/p...Studes%202010/

Comment

Someone once told my brother that a roll of toilet paper would work in place of a canister type oil filter. He lost a good Plymouth flat 6. NT

Neil Thornton
                Hazlehurst, GA
                '57 Silver Hawk
                '56 Sky Hawk
                '51 2R16 dump truck
                Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockinhawk

Someone once told my brother that a roll of toilet paper would work in place of a canister type oil filter. He lost a good Plymouth flat 6. NT

Neil,
                  Weren't those oil filter kits advertised back in the 50'-60's?? Replace your spin on filter with the conversion canister, load in a roll of TP, and drive away. I always wondered how much that TP would turn to pulp and slurry back into the engine. I rated those filter conversions right next to the "miracle gas miser fuel line magnets" and snake oil.[:0]

Frank Remlinger
                  SDC# A004602R
                  Frank Remlinger
                  Detroit, Michigan
                  SDC# A004602R

Comment

Working...
                  X