This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Truck / Road Trip Dilemma...

Ok, so two weekends from now, The Lonestar Roundup is going to take place in Austin, TX.

www.lonestarroundup.com

I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to enter my '62 Willys 4x4 pickup in the show as it's kinda ratty but all original. It'll fit in. There won't be parking for my newer truck and trailer to bring it down there.

The Willys flat out does 60, but it's not good for the engine to drive it like that. Fast cruise speed is usually 50mph tops for me and this truck. That equates to about 2700 RPM, which the manual says not to exceed for an extended period of time. The hot rod show is in Austin, and I live in Hutto. It's about 20 miles with no country backroads. I think i'll either be forced to take the highway, or take the frontage road down and stop at every light.

I know atleast one of you guys has an old Studebaker pickup with no overdrive that needs to get somewhere other than the country. Do you have any tips for me? What do you guys do?

I was thinking about heading down in rush hour traffic because it's slower... but it's kinda dicey. I'm not worried about the reliability of my truck, so sitting in one place for a while is no big deal for it. It's got the L6 226 Hurricane engine in it incase anybody was wondering. [^]

Chris Salisbury
    Hutto/Austin, TX

1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop

Around here 20 miles is nothing. Go for it!

If it were me I'd take the highway. 50 MPH should be OK as long as you stay in the farthest right lane. The others will just have to go around![8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Another thing: Now that we have this page, how about a picture or 2 of that Willys?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

20 miles? Take the highway,cruise at 45.
        Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

I had a '62 Willys wagon with the Super Hurricane engine in college. I lived 70 miles from home and had no problem keeping up with interstate travel (but the speed limit was 55 then).

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
          Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

For 20 miles, just take the frontage road.

Comment

I personally would not use the interstate. We had a discussion about this on another part of the SDC Forum a while back. For only 20 miles or so I would take the frontage road, as 61hawk suggested or some nice back road or highway. Around here 55 on the Interstate is libel to get you killed.

Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Editor of "The Down Easterner"
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

My t-Cab is approximately 80 miles from home right on loan to a museum. I drove it there and will drive it home at the end of April. No it does not have Overdrive so top speed is about 50mph. I stay off the interstate and suggest that you do the same. 20 miles is a piece of cake. -
                sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

I drove an m16, 1948 at 47 mph to South Bend last summer, 210 miles one way. I say, take the Interstate, at least the crazies can get around you. Go early in the AM before too much traffic. Sharon

Comment

Thanks for all the good advice. I think i'm going to judge the traffic that day, and if it looks like I won't get killed, i'll pull on the highway and test the waters. If I get people riding my butt and flippin' me off, then i'll just run down the frontage road after I return the favor.

The funny thing is that people really forgive this truck a lot. I get more thumbs up than anything, and I haven't ever had anyone angry at me. Looking at the truck, you'd understand.

It "looks like an old cowboy" as my wife puts it. And people who are smart know not to mess with old cowboys. [^]

Bams - I'll try to snap a pic of it tomorrow and post it.

Chris Salisbury
                    Hutto/Austin, TX

Comment

Take the frontage road,and enjoy the ride,enjoy the scenery,and get there and back in one piece. Why endanger your life and others by creating a hazard on a big road????
                      EDIT: A 'cowboy' in trucker lingo is a guy that drives a big-rig like an idiot-85 in a 65,70 in a 55,and so on.
                      And by the way,-know what a 'gapers block' is????

Oglesby,Il
                      61Hawk "Studebaker? It must be hard to find parts for those!"
                      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Just a follow up for anyone that may be interested - I took the Willys downtown with just about no close calls or other incidents...

I decided to take a new toll road which was practically at the starting point at my house and finishing point to the car show. It took about 40 minutes to get down there. Going down town was another 10 miles or so through a kind of ghetto in East Austin. It made it just fine on Friday, to the show and to downtown for late night festivities with all the other hotrodders.... day 2 was a bit more eventful. On the way downtown from the car show... the Willys electric fuel pump started sucking air and I had to pull over in previously said ghetto... at an abandoned lot with derelicts all around.

I was able to relocate the fuel pump from the fender to the frame in the lot. I managed to scare off the derelicts with wild cursing because the sun was going down and I didn't want to be harassed by these folks anymore and didn't want things to take a turn for the worse with them. Luckily i'm a big dude that's been in a rough and tumble before.

On the way downtown I nearly rearended a newer pickup that jammed on it's brakes and did a full 60-0 stop in a VERY short amount of time. I couldn't have been more than a half inch off his bumper. I'm sure I was every bit as hot as the brakes at that point.

Aside from nearly getting shanked in the ghetto, and plowing into a brand new truck with faded brakes... the weekend was EXTREMELY enjoyable, wild and MEMORABLE... that's for sure.

I also forgot to mention that my bestfriend that was with me doesn't know the difference between putting the ignition in the on position (to test the fuel pump) and the start position. I still have a bruise on my side where the front tire attempted to run me over. [B)]

Serves me right for laying under a car while someone is fiddling with the ignition... feel free to chastise me for that... but in my defense I was stressin' big time and not thinking 100% clearly LOL. Being broke down where I was at, at night, while relocating a fuel pump, having the ground wire snap in half, with no flashlight... it just didn't help to clear my mind for some reason.

Chris Salisbury
                        Hutto/Austin, TX

Comment

Deja Vu for me! About 40 years ago two of us went about 100 miles away to bring back a hunting vehicle for a local used car dealer. So in the middle of winter, we have this old open cab CJ, on a tow bar behind my '55 Clipper. About halfway back I ran out of gas, between towns! So the other guy had to sit in the jeep and push the Packard to the next town at about 40 mph.

Dwain G.

Comment

LOL... you can always count on a Jeep! haha. I love Willys products, always have and always will. My electric fuel pump died on me a month ago and the Jeep brought my dad and I home from 30 miles in the middle of nowhere without the pump working... Don't ask me how it did it but it just did. It must've been surging just enough or something. I know I couldn't give it more than a quarter throttle, but it got us home. I took the feed line off of it and held my finger there while my dad turned it on. It didn't have any suction on my finger whatsoever.

It was looking after us like all good Willys Jeeps do I guess. [^] Who knows how many people owe their lives to WWII Willys and Ford Jeeps.

Chris Salisbury
                            Hutto/Austin, TX

Comment

tomorrow im driving my 2R5 to las vegas from orange county.
                              about 300mi
                              but i have an overdrive so i can do 60-65 comfortably, except for the cajon pass.

Comment

Working...
                              X