This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• selling cars on ebay, newbie

Ok, I'm about to try my hand at selling a few cars on ebay.
    Trying to understand the costs and fees of all of it.

Looking at ebay's new fee charges is a bit confusing.

Can someone put it in plin english so this "newbie" can understand?

thanks!

George
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    65 Commander 2door
    64 Wagonaire's (1 parts car, 1 Canadian fixed roof disc brake car, the other sliding roof South Bend car.)
    63 Champ
    63 GT Hawk
    51 Champion Starlight Coupe

A rule of thumb for a car is $75-$100 total. There's a base fee, and a menu of charges for extras you can select (or not) as you write your ad- like extra to put a reserve, a BIN, etc. Also different fees based on length of days you want it to run, etc. There are also end-of-listing charges.

My advice is to just figure it will cost in the range above, and get started. As you write the listing, all the options you can select appear with their prices shown; you can pick them as you go.

It's really easy to do; don't worry about it. Focus your attention on writing clear, descriptive, PROOFREAD copy, and plenty of CLEAR, QUALITY PICTURES! I can't stress this enough- it makes all the difference in the price your car will draw!

Preparation and presentation is everything

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

George...good advice from Bob.

On the fees, count on about $50 to LIST it, and another $50 IF it meets reserve and sells. You will also have some PayPal fees if you accept the deposit or full amount via PayPal. I recommend you accept the deposit via PayPal (maybe even insist on it).

Most of the "normal" options (reserve price, scheduled start time, highlighted listing, etc.) are relatively cheap. eBay makes it pretty easy for a rookie to get started. The screens will walk you right through it. You can review your listing many times before you hit the "go" button to make sure it is what you want. Even after hitting the "go" button, if you have scheduled it to start at a later time, you can still revise it.

Give it a try. You really can't go too far wrong. Your second one will be better than your first [^]

Let us know when you have one listed.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I like to write my ads in Word so that I can proof the spelling and syntax and then I cut and paste to the ad.

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
        Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Thanks; Bob, Dick & Gary.

Watching the ebay ads for several years now I have learned that presentation is important. I will take several clear pictures and hope to have enough information and descriptions with all the ads.
          There will be some Studebakers along with other makes & models.

once again, thanks!

George
          Grants Pass, Oregon
          65 Commander 2door
          64 Wagonaire's (1 parts car, 1 Canadian fixed roof disc brake car, the other sliding roof South Bend car.)
          63 Champ
          63 GT Hawk
          George King
          Grants Pass, Oregon
          64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

Couple more things I thought of re: presentation:

Cleanliness- wash the exterior if it's dusty. Make sure the tires are all fully inflated and scrub the sidewalls, even if the tires are crappy. Clean out the interior of all loose stuff- no parts, books, anything laying in view in the pictures; same with the trunk. If you want to show extra parts, lay them out neatly in the trunk or on a tarp- no stuff laying against the car. Make sure the car is sitting on solid, level ground- no ruts, no grass growing around it; which leads to:

Setting- If it's a driver, position it in front of the prettiest backdrop you can; expensive house, park, lakefront, church, etc. Pictures ALWAYS look better on pavement or concrete. No other vehicles visible in any shots. If it's a non-runner, hard surface or freshly parked on lawn, again all tires fully inflated. NEVER take pictures where it is if it has been there a long time. Move it 10 feet then take them. Same with a pats car, if possible.

The key is to present them in the best image possible; which includes FULL lighting- no dusk or pics that require a flash!!

Guess I'm done for now. Good luck!!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Actually, dusk or late afternoon is the best time to take pictures when the lighting is the most flattering. Here's a example taken late in the afternoon by StudeBob

more from my ebay listings:

Funeral homes make a great mansion looking backdrop as in this picture:

A low angle with a great background looks good too:

JDP/Maryland
              64 R2 GT (Sid)
              spent to date $62,839.60
              63 Daytona HT/4 speed
              63 Lark 2 door

JDP Maryland

Comment

Ok, Cool. Yes the vehicles will be clean, inside and out. I live in the forest (trees and lots of them!)
                I have a dead end road that I think would make a excellent backdrop. No houses, cars, etc.. Just trees. I was thinking that would be a good setting.. And taking the pics in late afternoon, good idea.
                Thanks!!

George
                Grants Pass, Oregon
                65 Commander 2door
                63 Champ
                63 GT Hawk
                George King
                Grants Pass, Oregon
                64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Actually, dusk or late afternoon is the best time to take pictures when the lighting is the most flattering.
                  Great pictures. I agree dusk can be ideal, but you've got to catch it just right; it's easy to wait just a little too long, then they're too dark[xx(]

Probably a good rule of thumb is, if the flash goes off, the pic will likely be too dark.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Here's too dark :

JDP/Maryland
                    64 R2 GT (Sid)
                    spent to date $62,839.60
                    63 Daytona HT/4 speed
                    63 Lark 2 door

JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                    X