This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 gallon drum color code

Is there any systematic code for the color of drums? If so, can someone point me to a reference? I have already googled this a dozen different ways, but I can't find anything authoritative. What I think I know is that oil =black, diesel fuel=green, gasoline=red, potable water or food products=blue. Are these colors right? What are others?

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
    Holdrege NE

When we were painting model trains we were buying a highly toxic paint remover that we put into our mask washer machine. It was Triethylepercoclorlate. ( or some sort of wild name ). It was and I tink still is used to de-caffinate cofffer. POWERFULL stuff, fumes would strip paint, on a fresh 55 gallon drum. They were all blue with a white top.

Back then it was $300 a drum, and $960 for disposal.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Lothar

Is there any systematic code for the color of drums? If so, can someone point me to a reference? I have already googled this a dozen different ways, but I can't find anything authoritative. What I think I know is that oil =black, diesel fuel=green, gasoline=red, potable water or food products=blue. Are these colors right? What are others?

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
      Holdrege NE
      NOOOOOOOOOOOO, everything I typed out for the past 20 minutes is not there.Chop Stu
      61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Ok, even shorter answer.

NO there isn't a uniform barrel color code, US DOT and the UN regulate/relegate this classification to LABELING and PLACARDING
        http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/hazmat/placards/

Reason being colors are used interchangably too often. And don't identify the contents reliably. The 4 digit UN identifier does this job better, ever see a gasoline tanker with 1203? Thats gasoline, however the same tanker container can haul another material if placard another number.

Black can mean corrosives also.

I believe blue, and yellow were also used for Diesel or Kerosene containers but all across the nation at gas stations Green identifies Diesel. But Green also identifies non-flamable gas (medical oxygen etc.)

Red is Flamable LIQUID period, color doesn't tell me whats in the container, the LABEL should.
        I've also seen water in White containers, and TRASH in every color.
        I think you can see the confussion one would have in identifying the material.

I would check with your local fire department as a guide and reference. As they would be the ones responding in an Emergency if ever needed. And if you need to label hazardous material use the US Emergecy Response Guidebook. it contains all the 4 digit identifiers.

Personally I would identify blue as water, and if your the only one that will be using barrels/plastic or metal, then confussion won't be a problem, but if there's a chance to cross contaminate there's nothing wrong with being safe and identify. Hopefully with something more substantial than duck tape and sharpie.

Chop Stu
        61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Stu
          Thanks for the info!

1950 Champion 4 Dr.
          Holdrege NE
          John
          1950 Champion
          W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
          Holdrege NE