This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost a long time employee

When Matthew was 10 years old his mom started sending him to work with me when school was out. She said she thought I could teach him somthing about work Also it was cheaper to send him with Papa than to a babysitter. The main thing he learned was that he didn't want to be a bricklayer. After he turned 18 his dad, a boilermaker,got him a job as a fire watchman at a paper mill he was working on. Matthew said he was getting paid twice what I was paying him for doing nothing at all. I only paid minimum wage and expected him to Earn that. Oh well good help is hard to find anyway. Good luck Matthew.. NT

Neil Thornton
    Hazlehurst, GA
    '57 Silver Hawk
    '56 Sky Hawk
    '51 2R16 dump truck
    Many others.

Neil,

I think it is part of his master plan for Studebakering. He is hoping to earn enough to buy my 4 wheel drive.....

Gary

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

First thing I'm gonna do is get back on that Daytona that's taking up shop space... [^]

Matthew Burnette
      '59 Scotsman
      '63 Daytona
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

First thing I'm gonna do is get back on that Daytona that's taking up shop space... [^]
        Good idea! You can't win our bet with it just "taking up shop space". [}] [^]

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

True Dick, but YOUR '63 Daytona already has the hard work done! [}]

Matthew Burnette
          '59 Scotsman
          '63 Daytona
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Neil- I think our most important job on this earth is teaching the kids as they grow up the value of hard work, and the satisfaction of knowing how to provide for oneself and their family; and achieve their goals in areas of passion (i.e. Studebakers) through their efforts. My beautiful son graduates from school this June, will be 18 on September. He's as fine a young man as there is, nothing like the PITA I was at his age[V] (I can thank his mother for that). I feel a lot of pressure to assure that I've given him the tools, and ambition, and motivation, to build a successful life as his own man. He is a high honor roll student, and is off to college in the Fall, and while he's doing great, he and I are so different I'm always wondering if I've given him everything he needs to get his start. He has zero interest in cars of any kind, and they are the core of who I am... so while we have a great relationship, I'm always guessing on how to relate to him...

I was privileged to meet you and your family at SB. I have a knack for getting a feel for people in short order; and you and your family are clearly top-quality folks. When we look at Matthew and the type of person he reveals himself to be here, we're really looking at the product of his family- parents of course. But obviously you have been a huge influence in his life; and who he is is a badge of honor for you as well. How great it is that he's had you to give him that taste of your work, experiences... and of course Studebakers! Thanks to my Dad I experienced first-hand the car sales business, mechanical repair, body/collision work, logging, roofing, blacktopping, and the rough townie-bar business. Thanks to him I was able to rule out most of that as a life for me, and left room to find what I DID want to do.[^] This country desperately needs more folks like my Dad- and you.

Clearly Matthew's influences have helped him get started. And for that you should be proud.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Thanks Bams, That felt good. NT

Neil Thornton
              Hazlehurst, GA
              '57 Silver Hawk
              '56 Sky Hawk
              '51 2R16 dump truck
              Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

I AGREE WITH BAMS ABOUT NEIL AND FAMILY.

Comment

Bob, your well thought out and appropriate statement about our function in life is appreciated by all. It is a shame to watch kids today believe that we owe them a living and that they can have what they want without working for it and obtaining the satisfaction of knowing that they earned it. Thanks for the great post.
                  sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Working...
                  X