This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Car Laws

I'm sure you've heard about this, but anyways it is cut and pasted below.
    http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1971695

Old Car Emissions Exemption Threatened in 8 California Counties; Hearing Scheduled for April 1

Legislation (S.B. 1549) has been introduced in the California State Senate by Senator Dean Florez (senator.florez@sen.ca.gov) to repeal the state's current emissions test exemption for pre-1976 vehicles registered by new owners in the San Joaquin Valley Unified Air Pollution Control District. The District includes eight counties in California's Central Valley: San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Merced, Madera, Fresno, Kings, Tulare and the valley portion of Kern. Under the bill, after Jan. 1, 2009, new owners seeking to register a pre-1976 vehicle in these eight counties would be subject to emissions tests for the life of the vehicle. S.B. 1549 is scheduled to be considered by the California Senate Transportation and Housing Committee on April 1, 2008.

We Urge You to Call, E-Mail or Fax Senator Florez and Members of the Senate Transportation Committee (List Attached) Immediately to Oppose S.B. 1549

Existing law in California exempts all pre-1976 vehicles from emissions testing.

California's current emissions testing exemption recognizes the minimal impact of pre-1976 motor vehicles on emissions and air quality.

Pre-1976 vehicles constitute a small and shrinking portion of the overall vehicle population in California and are a poor source from which to look for further emissions reductions.

Pre-1976 antique and classic vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained.

Repeal of the exemption in the San Joaquin Valley could lead the Legislature to target other areas in the state in the future.

Legislators and regulators are again feeling the heat from a failed effort to meet air quality goals and are looking for a convenient scapegoat. The old car hobby should not carry the burden of their mistakes, as it has in previous amendments to the old car exemption!
    Please phone, fax or e-mail Senator Florez to express your opposition to S.B. 1549. Senator Florez can be reached at:

E-Mail: Senator.Florez@sen.ca.gov
    Phone: (916) 651-4016
    Fax: (916) 327-5989

Please phone, fax or e-mail members of the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee to express your opposition to S.B. 1549

California Senate Transportation & Housing Committee

(Click here to email all Committee members)

Senator Alan Lowenthal - Chair
    Phone: 916/651-4027
    Fax: 916/327-9113
    Email: Senator.Lowenthal@sen.ca.gov

Senator Tom McClintock
    Phone: 916/651-4019
    Fax: 916/324-7544
    Email: senator.mcclintock@sen.ca.gov

Senator Roy Ashburn
    Phone: 916/651-4018
    Fax: 916/322-3304
    Email: senator.ashburn@sen.ca.gov

Senator Gilbert Cedillo
    Phone: 916/651-4022
    Fax: 916/327-8817
    Email: senator.cedillo@sen.ca.gov

Senator Ellen Corbett
    Phone: 916/651-4010
    Fax: 916/327-2433
    Email: senator.corbett@sen.ca.gov

Senator Bob Dutton
    Phone: 916/651-4031
    Fax: 916/327-2272
    Email: senator.dutton@sen.ca.gov

Senator Tom Harman
    Phone: 916/651-4035
    Fax: 916/445-9263
    Email: senator.harman@sen.ca.gov

Senator Christine Kehoe
    Phone: 916/651-4039
    Fax: 916/327-2188
    Email: senator.kehoe@sen.ca.gov

Senator Jenny Oropeza
    Phone: 916/651-4028
    Fax: 916/323-6056
    Email: senator.oropeza@sen.ca.gov

Senator Joe Simitian
    Phone: 916/651-4011
    Fax: 916/323-4529
    Email: senator.simitian@sen.ca.gov

Senator Tom Torlakson
    Phone: 916/651-4007
    Fax: 916/445-2527
    Email: senator.torlakson@sen.ca.gov

Senator Leland Yee
    Phone: 916/651-4008
    Fax: 916/327-2186
    Email: senator.yee@sen.ca.gov

Please e-mail a copy of your letters to Steve McDonald at stevem@sema.org

Mabel 1949 Champion
    1957 Silverhawk
    1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    1955 President State
    Fresno,Ca
    [img]http://

My question is......why is anyone still living in Califonia?

Comment

Jack,

It's 70 and sunny here today. What's it like in Utah today?

This proposal is one that some thinking(?) state legislator dreams up every now and then to garner some notion (from his constituents) that he's earning his pay.
      I predict that in REAL short order - the car hobby industry of California will help him understand the folly of his proposal. He'll then apologize and go onto something else. BUT... he'll have given John Q Aintgotaclue the notion that the legislators are workin' hard to address the states problems and he'll also get some campaign coin from the forgiving hobby car industry. In the end - everybody wins!

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Sunny and 70 in Louisville!

Mark Anderson
        Member SDC and FMCA
        Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
        http://home.alltel.net/anderm

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
        Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

Comment

Come Summer, though, we'll be asking how's the humidity in Louisville? Here in CA is arid (dry) all year. So, this summer, while ya'll are sweltering in the 115% humidity at 100 degrees, we'll be sitting pretty in our dry 115 degrees. So, we'll be fat city here in California then, eh? [8D] [V]
          sals54

Comment

Well, in fat city as much as you can be with a declared state deficit bigger than France's. [:0]

Comment

sweet home ALABAMA its a nice day and we dont title anything older than 1975 bill of sale only i also wonder why anyone would live in calif. whith the cost of living, smog, mud slides, fires, and EARTHQUAKES

27 commander 47 M5 50 2dr 51 conv. 50 starlite 37 coupe express

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studeefrek
                i also wonder why anyone would live in calif. whith the cost of living, smog, mud slides, fires, and EARTHQUAKES

My question is......why is anyone still living in Califonia?
                I don't live in California, but quite frankly, these are very rude comments.

Would YOU feel insulted or defensive if folks started telling you what a fool you were for living where you live?

California has the #1 population number of any state in the union. Maybe that's for good reasons?

BTW, plenty of them are contributing members of this forum.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Well one things for sure California may start the Crap with these laws but you can bet your bottom dollar if it happens here its coming your way eventually.

Mabel 1949 Champion
                  1957 Silverhawk
                  1955 Champion 4Dr.Regal
                  Gus 1958 Transtar
                  1955 President State
                  Fresno,Ca
                  Mabel 1949 Champion
                  Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                  Gus 1958 Transtar
                  The Prez 1955 President State
                  Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                  Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                  Fresno,Ca

Comment

Anne,
                    I don't know about the "Zone"....we are still a "right to carry"
                    state...and there is always a battle about "citizen rights" down
                    in the "great state" of Maricopa county (Phoenix). If you want to
                    visit the "wild west"....the "Zone" doesn't spare any theatrics.

glen Brose - Perkinsville, AZ

Comment

Being from the Motor City originally, my thoughts are probably stronger than most. As Anne said, it all starts in CA. I always hoped the auto makers would band together and refuse to sell cars in CA. Yes, I know it's the largest marget in the US, but at some point, someone has to tell the politicians in Sacramento to get lost.

I also think if Pelosi and the rest of the CA politicos want to show this isn't just against the auto industry, ban the sale of gasoline, E-85, diesel and jet fuel in the entire state. Make California a true zero emissions state. Take away the ability of the state to use anything other than coal and horses and maybe they'd adjust their attitudes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1826.83)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Well I live in California because my parents were born here and my grandparents on my Dad's side were here before 1900. California wasn't allways "crazy". Also as someone pointed out the weather in many parts of the State is so mild and the same that it is somewhat boring.

In any case I don't think where you live is all that important other than finding a place with the job you want and if it is important to you, where your family is.

Having said that it is very expensive and when I retire I may move out of the state just so I can afford to build a house with a 3 or 4 car garage and a 5 car workshop.

David L
                        David L

Comment

Well, here in northern Sonoma Co. Ca., we don't have smog check except when changing title. That is nice for us but I think will end soon.
                          What realy get to me is when I drive down 101 to Santa Rosa we pass through the wine county. The smog is so thick from the vineyards burning cut vines I can hardly see the hills all around. But nothing is ever said about that. To much money.

John Ratliff

Comment

Thanks Ann, for posting this topic and the contact information.
                            This came up about a decade ago and was dismissed with a simple letter-writing campaign as you are encouraging. Thanks for your conscientious work.

quote:My question is......why is anyone still living in Califonia?
                            A tour of the unrestored, 100% rust-free undercarriage of my Hawk is one answer. A climate conducive to 104,000 trouble-free miles on an engine that's never been apart and neither burns nor leaks oil is another.

The Pacific Ocean also help us suffer through it. We'll get by.

Andy
                            62 GT
                            Andy
                            62 GT

Comment

Working...
                            X