Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dick LeRoux
    replied
    I shook JFK's hand in Duluth, MN less than a month before he was killed. Long story there, but because he was Catholic, and I attended a Catholic school, the broadcast was piped into our classrooms. When he was declared dead we were marched over to the church. The Sunday morning when LHO was being transferred at the Dallas jail, we were tuned into the news on our B&W TV set while having breakfast. My mother, and none of us 5 kids know why she said this, said, "Someone is going to step up and shoot him."
    Seconds later Jack Ruby did exactly that. We just sat slackjawed at the kitchen table, and Maw said, "Good. Now that's over."

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    I was a sophomore at Woodbridge High in New Jersey, biology class (with the schools most beautiful girl sitting behind me, but that's another topic!) when the announcement came over the p.a, speaker in class telling the outcome. We were in shock & tears were shed my so many. It was the end of an era, Studebaker's end in the U.S. followed just days later as a result.

Leave a comment:

• Flashback
    replied
    Driving up to the local Dairy Queen, not in a Studebaker, but in a 58 Corvette, to meet my Girlfriend for lunch (she told me)

Leave a comment:

• Dwight FitzSimons
    replied
    I was using a steam jenny to clean the front bumper of a brand X car at the car wash where I worked when a customer said that JFK had been shot. I said "Are you kidding?", but it was quickly obvious that he wasn't.
    --Dwight

Leave a comment:

• ChampCouple
    replied
    It was my first birthday, my mom said not a very happy birthday.

Leave a comment:

• Bud
    replied
    I was sitting in my 12th grade history class when the announcement came over the PA that said President Kennedy had been shot. I remember the teacher broke down in tears. Bud

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    I was in the inaugrual class of engineering students at what today is the University of Alabama Birmingham.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• t walgamuth
    replied
    I was a freshman at Greencastle hi. We were in a basement classroom. The teacher had a small radio which he put on the window sill up high. Later we had a full school function. I stood in the gym seats next to my first girlfriend. Unforgettable...

Leave a comment:

• greyben
    replied
    In the neighborhood pub having a cold one.

Leave a comment:

• skyway
    replied
    3rd grade on a warm, sunny day at a Catholic school with a classmate’s Mom as a substitute teacher.
    All of a sudden KMOX radio started coming from the classroom intercom speaker & the Mom began to cry.
    JFK’s election was a REALLY big deal for Roman Catholics, and especially adults who were his age.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    As per Post 9 here-----------> https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....ears-ago-today

Craig

Leave a comment:

• jts359
    replied
    I was in 6th grade , Science class , Central school , E.Hanover N.J. Ed

Leave a comment:

• shifter4
    replied
    I was working for a construction Testing Laboratory , here in Daytona Beach . I was out on a project , taking compaction tests .
    The company paid for us to use our own vehicles , and I was using the trunk of my 1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk , set up with scales etc , to do that, and had the radio on , and heard the news . I wrapped things up quickly and returned to the main office / Lab , and no one there was yet aware . Sad times.

Leave a comment:

• Hallabutt
    replied
    I was a Sophomore in college. That day was kind of a blur, but I certainly remember the impact that it had.

Leave a comment:

• 1inxs
    replied
    I was at home (too young to be in school) wondering why my mom was so emotional. When she told me I was sitting and watching the news. A sad day in history for sure!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X