November 22, 1963, where were you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• November 22, 1963, where were you?

I was in 6th grade, at Glen L Down elementary school in Phoenix, AZ getting ready to go home for lunch.

Bob Miles
    59 years later getting ready for late lunch

Cedargrove Elementary/Middle school, SoCal.
    Walken from one class to another when I heard about it.
    No one believed it actually happened.
    Don't recall talking about it in any classes, but I could be wrong.

Mike

Comment

Gladstone Michigan junior high school (8 grade), during change of class period room change going down the very well worn wood steps to wood shop class.
      After an hour of standing / milling around absorbing the event we moved out and all students were brought to the gym where a TV was set up and for the rest of the school day we were in current events.
      The loss of our 'happy times'.

Comment

West Vancouver Junior High School
        West Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
        I was in (I believe) my English class when the Mathematics teacher from down the hall came into our class crying and sobbing as he tried to explain to us what had happened.
        Our innocence left us that day (Or as John stated in post#3, loss of happy times).

Comment

Had just returned from four months at sea in the North Pacific and Sea of Okhotsk on a Navy research ship (as a civilian oceanographer). Had spent the morning on the phone with my parents and girl friend for the first time since August. At the time of the shooting, was in my apartment, listening to AM radio, going though four months of mail and checking for overdue bills that my roommate hadn't paid. As was the custom in those days, the local radio station broke into their programming to switch to the network for the news flash. As horrible as the event was, we were getting used to such bad news: MLK, Bobby Kennedy, etc. And FDR had died in office in 1945, and Ike came very close to doing the same thing in 1955.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

I was in art class, when we heard the announcement. One of the "tough guys" made a real stupid comment. No-one saw him for the next few days. Sad times for sure !

Comment

Yikes! I was standing outside the gym at Northridge Junior High School in California when word came over the school speakers system. I think I must have stood there for several minutes by myself until I heard some girls crying. That is when I realized it was for real. The school became very quiet and somber the rest of the day.
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Further reflection: Our music teacher went knocking on the classroom doors saying the President had been shot. Our class had just finished the music class and was back in home room. Our music teachers name: Mrs Ruby. I kid you not I never thought about the name until just now, 59 years later. We came back to school after lunch then at 2pm we were dismissed and went home.

Bob Miles
                One of several days that stands out in time

Comment

I was at home (too young to be in school) wondering why my mom was so emotional. When she told me I was sitting and watching the news. A sad day in history for sure!!!
                  1963 Studebaker GT Hawk R1 63V-33867
                  1964 Studebaker Avanti R1 R-5364
                  1970 Avanti II RQA-0385
                  1981 Avanti II RQB-3304

Comment

I was a Sophomore in college. That day was kind of a blur, but I certainly remember the impact that it had.

Comment

I was working for a construction Testing Laboratory , here in Daytona Beach . I was out on a project , taking compaction tests .
                      The company paid for us to use our own vehicles , and I was using the trunk of my 1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk , set up with scales etc , to do that, and had the radio on , and heard the news . I wrapped things up quickly and returned to the main office / Lab , and no one there was yet aware . Sad times.
                      Bill H
                      Daytona Beach
                      SDC member since 1970
                      Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

I was in 6th grade , Science class , Central school , E.Hanover N.J. Ed

Comment

As per Post 9 here-----------> https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....ears-ago-today

Craig

Comment

3rd grade on a warm, sunny day at a Catholic school with a classmate’s Mom as a substitute teacher.
                            All of a sudden KMOX radio started coming from the classroom intercom speaker & the Mom began to cry.
                            JFK’s election was a REALLY big deal for Roman Catholics, and especially adults who were his age.

Comment

In the neighborhood pub having a cold one.
                              American iron, real old school
                              With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
                              With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
                              With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
                              The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
                              I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

Working...
                              X