George Bailey’s car from the 1946 movie, It’s a Wonderful Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Bailey’s car from the 1946 movie, It’s a Wonderful Life

As promised, here is a picture of the 1919 dodge driven by Jimmy Stewart in the movie. I took possession of it yesterday in Johnstown Colorado, headed back to New York now, stopped for the night. First stop tomorrow will be in South Bend for a quick visit with my good friend Jim Maxey, then on to New York, where the car will be featured in the annual festival based on the movie and Seneca Falls NY. after the festival the next step is unsure, because the car is for sale. This is just a screenshot from a video clip, I can’t figure out how to post videos here. As always, they and the whole story are on my Facebook page. I will add another picture or two once she is set up at the festival.

Very exciting to have such an important piece of movie history, even if it is just for a brief time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	54C39366-9B85-4E63-A0AE-D3561F0BE20A.jpeg
Views:	474
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	1922908
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Why not keep it??

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
      Why not keep it??
      No way I could afford it. It belongs in a museum or a wealthy persons collection.
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

I hope the owner has adequate insurance coverage while its in transit, and while at the festival. Your own insurance probably doesn't cover someone else's property while its being transported.

Craig

Comment

That's cool! Hee-haw!!

Comment

Wow! My wife is on a Christmas movie kick so we should be watching that one soon.

Comment

The Taxi Cab from the movie still lives as well and is located in the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania.
              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

As I recall, the Dodge has a different pattern rather than the H pattern we are all used to having. Is that so? Did you drive the car at all? That would be a thrill for me.

Bob Miles
                Buffalo girls won't you come out tonight

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                  As I recall, the Dodge has a different pattern rather than the H pattern we are all used to having. Is that so? Did you drive the car at all? That would be a thrill for me.

Bob Miles
                  Buffalo girls won't you come out tonight
                  You are correct. The H shift pattern is upside down on both sides of what most of us are used to. I did not drive it... thus far it only went from the garage directly into my trailer, and the owner drove it. Although hesitant, I hope to do so.

One other cool thing is the 'silent starter'. This is actually the generator also functioning as the starter.
                  Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post

You are correct. The H shift pattern is upside down on both sides of what most of us are used to. I did not drive it... thus far it only went from the garage directly into my trailer, and the owner drove it. Although hesitant, I hope to do so.

One other cool thing is the 'silent starter'. This is actually the generator also functioning as the starter.
                    And it's 12 volt- not 6 volt- another unique feature of those early Dodges.
                    Evan Davis
                    Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

The car is comfortably ensconced at the local Dodge dealership. Today was the unveiling, including the dignitaries. Some of them in the picture are, on the running board, the young George Bailey that rescued his brother from the pond; next to him was the baby that was standing up in the crib crying; and sitting in the car, in the blue, is the woman that played Zuzu. In the driver’s seat is the owner. They also had a pretty accurate professional Jimmy Stewart imitator, but of course this forum can’t handle a six second clip, so I’m adding a picture of him. Note: I did not regale him with my own Jimmy Stewart imitation, knowing that he would be severely upstaged. Let him have the moment.

I did not realize how deeply this car affects people. Some people, upon seeing it in person, let out a gasp and their eyes filled with tears. Everybody just loved it.

NBC sent their crew to cover the unveiling and Harry Smith as the correspondent. Great people, and Harry was very friendly. I have my own video of the entire event but I had to agree not to post it publicly. They took about 15 minutes of video, which I assume they will boil down to about three minutes and it will be on NBC morning show starting at 8 AM EST.

Edited to add a better picture of Zuzu. In the first one she was blocked off.

Maybe now I will get my angel wings.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0CE2C0C7-FDF4-4F9F-BA40-B5BF282D992E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	114.6 KB ID:	1923304 Click image for larger version  Name:	7635C80D-6C56-4873-BA73-F30E1EFD2E6A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	125.5 KB ID:	1923305 Click image for larger version  Name:	670502CB-FE57-4A14-A782-D72F11BE1D78.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	122.8 KB ID:	1923306 Click image for larger version  Name:	66D1E23B-4F51-488E-A266-72AB90FADE7E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	116.8 KB ID:	1923307
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	2391ED06-5850-4706-885B-5B52B18047E3.jpeg
Views:	237
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	1923308
                      Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

I've held on to mileposts such as this car represents as the world has gone insane around us. Thank you so much for posting this!

Comment

Owner has decided to sell, so I will be representing it for him at next month’s Mecum auction in Kissimmee.
                          Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Well that was fast; the car must have VERY well received in Seneca Falls.

Comment

It was a huge hit in SF. But the owner and his wife are in their mid-80s and their health is fading, so they are looking to downsize and have asked me to help. He has some other beauties to sell, this is the third car to go.
                              Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                              X