Replacing fluorescent tubes with LED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing fluorescent tubes with LED

Attempting to cut out all ballasts and rewire all fluorescent shop lights to use LED bulbs. As far as I can tell, type 'A' LEDs will NOT work for this purpose despite all the online instructions and youtube videos. Any input on the subject?
    "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Why not simply remove the ballast from each fixture, and mount 2 or 3 ordinary Edison-base plastic lamp sockets to the fixture cover, and tie in to the line entering the fixture? Screw a hundred-watt equivalent LED bulb into each fixture, and you are done. The LED "bulbs" are cheap compared to the "tubes", and if one goes bad you can change in a minute with no tools at all.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I bought LED tubes and they work perfect just replacing the old. What a difference!
      Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
      Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

Just did my Kitchen fixture. So simple. Pull out all the old and replace with items in the Box. I got my parts from HD. Click image for larger version

Name:	P1200303.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1913096 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1200463a (1).JPG
Views:	195
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1913097 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1200462.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1913098

Comment

If you pulled the ballasts you need type B led bulbs that are available at most big box stores. I got mine from Menard's. This video should get you where you are going.

https://youtu.be/dxa9460FTQM

Just finished converting 16 to Type B leds in my pole barn.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Silverplate View Post
            I bought LED tubes and they work perfect just replacing the old. What a difference!
            That's what I did. Not knowing that there was soon to be a lighting revolution I mistakenly hard wired the forty inch florescent fixtures in the attic, rather than wiring in outlets. Now the place is crammed so tight that there is little room to move up there to rewire them.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I replaced the florescent fixtures in my garage with LED fixtures a little over a year ago and will never look back. They are brighter, no noise, longer lasting and use less electricity.
              And, I don't have to worry about where and how to recycle the burned out florescent bulbs, or accidently breaking one and creating a hazard.
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

It can be confusing... Here is my experience..
                (1) LED's are great.
                (2) Know what you have before you start swapping bulbs.
                (3) You can replace your standard bulbs with LED's (from the big box stores) if you have 'electronic' ballasts.
                (4) Replacing your standard bulbs with LED's with a 'standard' ballast won't work properly.
                (5) Replacing your standard bulbs with 'no ballast' lights will work, but you'd best remember what bulb is where.
                (6) All new big box light fixtures are 'electronic' ballasts and big box LED bulbs work great.
                (7) Replacing old ballasts with 'electronic' ballasts is easy. Then you can buy big box LED bulbs by the case. No need to rip out your old fixture(s)... Just change the ballasts.
                (8) Plan your work, work your plan. Don't start with one style and switch mid stream. I am 8 LED's into a 24 light changeover. The balance can wait, as I am sticking with one style.
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Man, what a bunch of work. You guys ever hear of Rube Goldberg?

I upgraded my lights in both my buildings with a simple three step process:

1. Take cutters up the ladder and send 8’ fluorescent fixtures crashing to the floor

2. Go to Sam’s and buy multiple 4’ LED fixtures at about $20 each

3. Install and enjoy massively improved lighting

I don’t know nuthin bout no balistis or rewirin.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/honeywell...=plp_product_1
                  Last edited by Bob Andrews; 09-25-2021, 12:16 AM. Reason: Typo
                  Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                  Romans 15:13
                  Deuteronomy 31:6
                  Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post

-It's actually quicker and easier to pull (or bypass) ballasts and install direct wired LED bulbs into existing fixtures.

-The ones that keep the fluorescent ballast in the circuit are pretty Goldbergian, though...

Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

1. Take cutters up the ladder and send 8’ fluorescent fixtures crashing to the floor

Did that downstairs in the pole barn where the lights were hung by chains and plugged into the 120 volt outlets. Just rehung the new one's I purchased from Costco and plugged them in.

Up stairs the lights are screwed into the finished ceiling and directly wired so pulling the ballasts and adding a couple of wire connectors was much easier.

Depends on the situation but you are correct about the improvement in lighting and the Leds go on in 20 deg weather.

Bob

Comment

Exactly, No project, Bring home, plug in and enjoy
                        M
                        Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

That's the great thing about forums. People can share experiences and methods.
                          And a lot depends on how their current setup is.
                          And a lot depends on what their desire is for the finished setup.
                          Oh, and a lot depends on what their skill level is.
                          There is no one single best answer.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thank you everyone for the assist. Finally got it figured out because of the replies on this forum. Most of the instructions or videos found online are BS or incomplete at best. So after purchasing and returning the wrong tubes from two different hardware stores I ordered a ten-pack of type B tubes from Home Depot. Signed up for their card and saved $25 on the order
                            "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

Working...
                            X