No announcement yet.

Good Wal-Mart News! <GGG>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I am a snob that is not why I avoid Walmart. I avoid it because of all the businesses they closed in our town. Nice, family owned shops where you could find helpful people who knew their business. Yes, I had to pay a little more but to me it was worth it. Chasing the lowest price has done a lot of damage.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
      While I am a snob that is not why I avoid Walmart. I avoid it because of all the businesses they closed in our town. Nice, family owned shops where you could find helpful people who knew their business. Yes, I had to pay a little more but to me it was worth it. Chasing the lowest price has done a lot of damage.
      ...and once the tax abatement runs out, they close the old one to build a new one!

HOWEVAH... the program Bob linked with this scale will help accelerate development of AI/autonomous vehicles. The more flat screens delivered without damage means less of us humans delivered without damage...Too bad all my parts don't have the Costco return policy.

Bob, don't accuse Dick of getting his panties in a bunch...I have it on good authority he wears boxers!
      Besides, he was just teasing me because I'm the one in a bunch of panties - six for $10 - red light special!

Andy
      62 GT

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
        Comments about Walmart are neither political nor religious.
        The corporation is fair game.
        The internet posts of "The People of Walmart" are a real hoot! https://www.peopleofwalmart.com/
        Agreed, Brad...unfortunately, so has become politics...or, I suppose, it always has been...

On that, I'll leave this happy (?), light-hearted (?), tongue-in-cheek conversation to go promote Studebakers at the 27th Annual Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race; Team Studebaker's 24th consecutive appearance at the event. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
          I probably shouldn't comment, because I've only been in a Walmart once or twice in my life, and I didn't find it a pleasant experience. It was partly because of the overwhelming size of the place (wasted a lot of time looking for the one thing I needed), but mostly because I just don't like to shop -- for anything. Neither the expenditure of the money nor the acquisition of the goodies gives me any great pleasure. But I have noticed that when Walmart moves in, most of the little stores that I used to use to make shopping a less unpleasant experience have slowly withered away. Not only have a lot of good people with useful knowledge lost businesses and jobs, but we are now swamped with cheap imported consumer junk. That is not a positive development.
          Last edited by Skip Lackie; 09-17-2021, 02:36 AM.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Omaha View Post
            Good post, but I've got to disagree with the "snobbish" part. I went to Wal-Mart last night, went through the checkout lane (with a real life cashier), and pushed my card towards the door. The door greeter demanded to see my receipt which I was holding in my hand. She went through every item in my cart. She couldn't tell cat litter from cat food, so she called a manger over to help her. As this was happening, dozens of other shoppers walked by without being stopped.
            I told them it's not often I shop at a store that treats me like a criminal. Not being a snob, but just expecting basic customer service and respect.
            You dont have to show them your receipt, at least in California. You can refuse and just walk out. That's what I do.

Comment

I don't shop at our local walmart because they are to cheap to hire cashiers. There are 24 cash registers, and one clerk running one of them. I would rather support the smaller business that is there to ring up you purchases on the way out.

Comment

I have TOO much invested in Costco, I can't AFFORD to shop at the Free Walmart!
                Maybe not the best decision because the distance to either is about the same 10-12 Miles.

What I mean is, I pay I think $75.00 for the Annual Business Costco Membership, and THEN Citibank wants about the same for the required Costco/VISA Card Annual Fee.
                I guess I like to shop there, because the GIANT Size containers and packages of Food cost less & last all Month and then some, DONE for 30 to 50 days!

I have NOTHING against Walmart, the few times I went there it was OK, but I only went there for "Stuff", not Food, that comes from Costco, all from USA and Canada.

When one of the 2 Costco "Checkers" look at your Receipt, they seem to focus on Qty's. I hear them say: 2 Cereal, 4 Coffee etc. but of course they have to be looking for Large, or Expensive items slipped past the Cashier, but all they do is quickly scan the Bill, they NEVER check each item and are Very Courteous, Smile and say have a good Day!
                Last edited by StudeRich; 09-18-2021, 11:26 AM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                X