Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BK Supply

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BK Supply

    Today, after getting a haircut and on my way to go grocery shopping it was about noon. I was several miles from home and decided to stop somewhere for a little lunch. I was going by a Burger King and figured that I would get a small burger. I haven't been to a BK in probably years. It was just about noon. When I walked in, I was greeted by "We don't have any beef". I guess that it is a supply chain issue and being a franchise, they can't just go to a store and buy beef. I had a chicken sandwich.
    On a related note, I have noticed that most of the car dealerships have about one-third of the inventory that they normally have.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

    SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

  • #2
    Well, as the vintage Wendy's commercial said:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	wheres-the-beef-commercial.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	1908845
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Not a day goes by that I don’t have some limited availability or back order for something I’m trying to buy. Makes it near impossible to operate most businesses. And there’s nobody in charge with the ability or will to create policy to start to remedy the situation, in fact they’re doing the opposite. And those on the front lines take abuse from customers because they’re out of things.

      I had somebody ask me yesterday about my plans for the fall. It took me a second to realize they meant ‘autumn’, not the fall of civilization. Lol.
      Proud NON-CASO

      I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

      If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

      GOD BLESS AMERICA

      Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

      Illegitimi non carborundum

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by studegary View Post
        I guess that it is a supply chain issue and being a franchise, they can't just go to a store and buy beef.
        Even if they could go to the store and buy beef, I don't think there would be enough room in the 'prep area' of a typical BK kitchen for staff to actually cut and form the individual beef patties. Their beef come pre-formed to size and stacked ready for grilling from their distribution warehouse and placed in the cooler until required without the need for appreciable counter space. Not to mention, their profit margin would be lost having to pay someone to prepare food 'fine dining style' before tossing it on the grill.

        Craig

        Comment


        • #5
          Time for In and out burger on the east coast:-) Or maybe Carls Jr.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
            Time for In and out burger on the east coast:-) Or maybe Carls Jr.
            I am all for that, but it probably would not solve today's supply problems.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

            SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

            Comment


            • #7
              Here's what's causing the delay in getting the things you ordered. And it's about to get worse.

              https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...hBMMi06a5LE3D4
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

              Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10,
              '51 Commander Starlight,
              '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
              '56 Sky Hawk

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

                Even if they could go to the store and buy beef, I don't think there would be enough room in the 'prep area' of a typical BK kitchen for staff to actually cut and form the individual beef patties. Their beef come pre-formed to size and stacked ready for grilling from their distribution warehouse and placed in the cooler until required without the need for appreciable counter space. Not to mention, their profit margin would be lost having to pay someone to prepare food 'fine dining style' before tossing it on the grill.

                Craig
                You can buy beef preformed into patties at the local markets here. I bought a bunch for a reunion picnic that I ran. You just pop them on the grill.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

                SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  Today, after getting a haircut and on my way to go grocery shopping it was about noon. I was several miles from home and decided to stop somewhere for a little lunch. I was going by a Burger King and figured that I would get a small burger. I haven't been to a BK in probably years. It was just about noon. When I walked in, I was greeted by "We don't have any beef". I guess that it is a supply chain issue and being a franchise, they can't just go to a store and buy beef. I had a chicken sandwich.
                  On a related note, I have noticed that most of the car dealerships have about one-third of the inventory that they normally have.
                  1) A shortage of crappy frozen beef patties at Burger King is probably better for your health. At least the chicken was..

                  2) 1/3 inventory at car dealerships is probably not a bad thing. I would venture dealers are secretly glad to be relieved of the mandatory minimum volume required by manufacturers. When they aren't paying interest on all that stagnant stock, the price should be lower. Oh wait, car dealerships exist in opposite-land, where less monthly interest is a dis-incentive to giving the customer a better deal. Cry me a river for the car dealers...
                  Andy
                  62 GT

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I can tell you that dealers are NOT relieved to have low inventory. Most people today want a car NOW. It’s not like years ago when most took care and went through the options list and ordered a car. They pick a type of car, then the only concern is monthly payment and how little they can get away with putting down. Even more, buying online is gaining ground rapidly; you can order a car through an app and have it delivered to your door without ever leaving your couch. All this means that on-hand inventory is critical. To make things worse, those who would special order are being hit with wait times of several months, so they decide to buy from inventory. And if their local dealer doesn’t have it, they go where somebody does.

                    I don’t think that there is any business that isn’t fighting supply issues. As if the crazy covid shutdowns weren’t enough.
                    Proud NON-CASO

                    I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

                    If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

                    GOD BLESS AMERICA

                    Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

                    Illegitimi non carborundum

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      My cousin works for a VERY large Caddy dealer in Miami, he is the lease manager, and VP. All his business is via the internet, no walk in "ups". Works like a dog, but makes a very impressive 6 figure income. Told me he can not deliver rides fast enough.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        LOL back in the day my Avanti was purchased right off the dealers showroom floor. Seemed the factory built it, and many more on 'spec' and just shipped the cars to dealers lots. My Avanti sat for almost one year till it was sold.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
                          LOL back in the day my Avanti was purchased right off the dealers showroom floor. Seemed the factory built it, and many more on 'spec' and just shipped the cars to dealers lots. My Avanti sat for almost one year till it was sold.
                          I think this was a "not uncommon" practice. One of dad's lodge brothers had a rural Buick-GMC dealership and often had to take more Buicks than he wanted to get the number of GMCs he needed. He did drive a sweet white on white Riviera, as a result.

                          Bob, I totally agree in high-demand times like these. It took me 7 months to find our last purchase and I cast a 200 mile radius to find the exact spec/color we wanted. Ended up finding it only 15 mi. away.

                          Best advice I ever heard (which seemed counter-intuitive at the time) was the best time to buy a car is when you don't really need one.
                          Andy
                          62 GT

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Andy R. View Post
                            Bob, I totally agree in high-demand times like these. It took me 7 months to find our last purchase and I cast a 200 mile radius to find the exact spec/color we wanted. Ended up finding it only 15 mi. away.
                            I'm surprised your local dealer didn't do the searching for you. Dealers often trade new vehicles back & forth for customers who are looking for a specific vehicle.

                            Craig

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

                              I'm surprised your local dealer didn't do the searching for you. Dealers often trade new vehicles back & forth for customers who are looking for a specific vehicle.

                              Craig
                              Yes, I did quite a few. I can even remember going to Newton, New Jersey to exchange a new Chrysler 300. Also, we got some cars out of Connecticut. Sometimes we supplied other dealers with what they needed. We only kept about 30 - 35 new cars in stock. They were representative. We could either order a new car or swap with another dealer (two C/P dealers within ten miles of us).
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

                              SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X