Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 1963 Tempest which could have been king.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 1963 Tempest which could have been king.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightn...n/photostream/

Has anyone here ever seen one of these rare cars? It would probably have given Ted a good run.

I have seen pictures of that car, or one like it, in old magazines. It definitely would have run in a different class from Ted's.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

The Tempest ran in AF/X or "factory experimental". They were an interesting back-door experiment to let GM race without being in racing.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Here's a bit more about the program and one 1963 Tempest factory race car that was found in a storage shed about 40 miles north of me.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...st-super-duty/

Bob

Comment

Thanks for posting - the MT article was a good read.
          I always love the debate of restoring either the "as delivered" or "as developed" specs.
          Which history do YOU think is more important?
          Andy
          62 GT

Comment

After reading the article, I was curious about the "two piece intake manifold".
            I expected two separate runners, a la Chrysler 413 cross-ram, but found something very different:

https://www.supercars.net/blog/wp-co...SuperDuty4.jpg

So cool that, in minutes, you could swap out the upper half with fresh, differently tuned carbs with only one mating surface to worry about.
            Andy
            62 GT

Comment

Cool! I remember reading about it back then.

Too bad it never raced at LeMans.
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

What it sold for in 2010: 226K eBay 63 LeMans update - Studebaker Drivers Club Forum

Craig

Comment

I saw one on display about 20 years ago at a POCI convention in southern California. It was an impressive sight.

The standard '63 LeMans could be had with the 326 V8 and it was a runner, since it was based on the '61 chassis designed for the rope-driveshaft Tempest 4-banger. Its body was lighter than the larger '64 - '67 Tempests, but the suspension wasn't as good, and you could only get the V8 with a 2-speed auto. But it is generally considered the launching pad for the GTO.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Late coming to this thread, stumbled across it while searching for something entirely different.
                    Always Studebaker crazy, but it happens that back in 1967-69, at 17, I owned a ‘61 Tempest Coupe ‘gasser’ fitted out with a built 389/hydro and a ladder bar hung 57 Pontiac rear axle. The engine had a radical experimental “McKellar #11” solid lifter cam that idled at 1000+ rpm and was totally unsuited to street. This was in the early ‘funny car’ heyday. Towards the end of my ownership I cut the firewall out and moved the engine back under the windshield.
                    In the fall of ‘69 as a newly married 19 year old, I took a job at Fisher Body/ Oldsmobile in Lansing, and soon sold off my impractical toy.

Far from the end of the story. Fast forward 15 years and 2 teenage kids, I located and bought a ‘63 LeMan’s coupe already outfitted with the complete drivetrain from a ‘69 4 speed GTO and wrinkle wall slicks, again way too much for street use.
                    Oh oh! Son is definitely college material, eventually it is time to say bye bye to the Tempest. Best decision and investment I ever made.
                    Son is now an outstandingly successful Engineer, Partner and Vice President of a huge engineering firm. Both grandkids are now in Collage.
                    Honestly, although they were a thrill to own, and ‘fire up’ to show off, I never got near a drag strip with either of the Tempest’s, and in my 6 years of ownership the only road miles they covered were while being hauled on dollies and trailers.
                    Now content with my barn full of old Studebaker’s. I use to drive Studebaker’s daily. But I haven’t had a driveable one on the road in over a decade now. I’ve had my fun, and it cost less than golf, or beer and wild women.
                    Not that I’ve given up yet, just got a set new Moon Equipment finned aluminum valve covers for my dual-quad 390 Caddy mill.

Comment

Jessie,
                      I too have a custom pair of "Moon Finned Valve Covers" which Joe Mondello convinced Dean Moon to cast for himself and my Oldsmobile W30 455 with Harland Sharpe roller rockers which won't clear most valve covers.
                      Sure glad I have something of a memory.

Comment

Wow! Now that is some really rare parts.

Comment

Jessie,
                          If you look closely you can see the fins are bent due to being hand cast by Dean.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2213[1].JPG
Views:	112
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1910881Here is why they were required: Screw in studs, pushrod guide plates, 3/8" pushrods etc.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2217[1].JPG
Views:	110
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	1910882

Comment

Cool! I had a buddy with a base '64 Cutlass fitted out with a built 455 and Muncie 4 speed.
                            Just incredible acceleration.
                            When I went to work in Lansing in '68 I was offered several opportunity's to purchase factory 'experimental' 455's. Saw them on the cover of Hot Rod magazine years latter.
                            If only I had known then what I know now....
                            What is yours going into?

Comment

The 1963 Le Mans with the 326 V8 engine was offered with a 3 speed manual transmission. The throw from first gear to second was probably the longest in automotive production.
                              I had friends who owned a coupe in 1963 which was painted maroon with a black top . Cool but strange car with some idiosyncrasies.
                              Bob Caser
                              mrbobinc

Comment

Working...
                              X