Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torqflite question... (not often one sees two q's that close, eh?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torqflite question... (not often one sees two q's that close, eh?)

My -56 New Yorker has 318 LA & 904 & the shifter is connected with a cable.
    So I got this thought about getting the push buttons to work on the newer trans, impossible or doable..? I mean it's ony one(!) cable so the trick ought to be to get the buttons to do the right thing, right?
    & here's the question:
    Has anyone here any knowlage about it or know of anyone else who has?
    (& yep; I am already asking about it on MoPar forums but it's mostly younger folx there who thinks old Chryslers are a religion.)

This is where that picture-that-refuses-to-get-in-here would be...

IIRC, that vintage uses the push buttons to establish cable length for the shift positions. I think that trying may be the only method of determining whether you can achieve the correct lengths or not.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, most are of the "two" cable design.

MANY years back, I bought two different (YES, there is more than one design), Chrysler, push button modules. I wanted to use them with a T-400 (GM trans.).
      I decided that because of the two cables, it was going to take much more work than I wanted to invest. A modified output cable shaft, (one inside of the other) was required.

Note - as I recall the second cable is either "park" OR "reverse", it's been a while.
      I'll look for them tomorrow to verify.

If in truth you do have a module that requires only one cable, I did not find that one in my search years back. I could have made a single cable design work with the GM trans.

Mike

Comment

I have a 64 Dart with push button 904. It has 2 cables, one is for park.
        sigpic
        Ross.
        Riverside, Ca.
        1957 Provincial X2
        1958 Transtar

Comment

Okidoki, this is getting further than on any Chrysler forum / group!
          So maby I'll have to come up with a "gearing / ratio" device if the old vs new moves different as in lengthwise... Shouldn't be to hard if I use a disc with holes for the cables at different distances from the center & outside / rim side.
          & ofcourse something extra for the park,. (But that I've already figured out.)

Comment

You got me thinking...not always a good thing. How about an electric actuator, maybe just for park? I know some new cars have these on trans, seen them in junk yards. Maybe a transfer case "in-out" actuator.
            sigpic
            Ross.
            Riverside, Ca.
            1957 Provincial X2
            1958 Transtar

Comment

I've seen a lot of electric divices for push button gear shifts but I like it "easy to see what went wrong".
              I just discoverd a silly thing that I didn't look closely at before: The "button box" is for an early -56 = 2-speed / no torqflite:

Click image for larger version  Name:	56EarlyTF.jpg Views:	0 Size:	20.3 KB ID:	1907747
              Gotta get a late -56 model now:
              Click image for larger version  Name:	56LateTF.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.7 KB ID:	1907748
              So I'll have to make do with the stick a while more...
              Click image for larger version

Name:	A30.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1907749

Comment

Working...
              X