Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The more things change...

...the more they stay the same.

What a concept; order what you want to own!

When my father and his brother were in the new-car business, most new cars were ordered specifically for the customer, to his specifications. Sure, they occasionally sold from a small stock, but most people expected to order a car as they wanted, and wait a month or so for it to arrive.

All of a sudden, that's a new idea...again...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ign=nl24442285
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I remember when the shift started to "packaged options" Of course the options you wanted were in different packages so you had to buy more than you wanted to get the couple options you desired.

I welcome this "build to order" return...
    DT Holder - Bakersfield CA, USA
    1950 Commander ("Resto-Mod" in progress)

Comment

I think that the "new idea" would be great. It is unlikely that I will be buying anything new, but it would be fun to go through options, and add what I wanted at the factory. Also agree with DTHolder on the packaged options. They would add more than you needed, to get the few things that you wanted.

Comment

In the last three or four years, Lionel trains are having their high end ($1500 - $2000) locomotives built to order. If you wait until they appear at the dealer, it's too late. That assures Lionel that they do not have excess inventory and also creates a feeling of scarcity/mystique among buyers.
        Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-03-2021, 10:49 AM.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Read that a while back and it all sounds good on paper just like the Saturn model of no haggle pricing. My overview is that a large number of folks go new car/truck shopping with an idea they would like to buy if they can find the right price and features. A lot of cars are sold by dealers that say tell me what you want and I'll find it on a lot elsewhere and you can have it tomorrow. It's harder to say no! when your dream vehicle is a day away.

Waiting 8-12 weeks for your dream vehicle to arrive isn't what a lot of buyers want when they can go next door to the GM or Ram dealer and have what they want in a couple of days. It's also fairly well known that Ford has been losing sales of it's 150 model to Ram and Chevy over the last couple years due to bigger incentives and lower dealer pricing. Making a customer wait the additional time doesn't make me think they will be increasing 150 sales unless they lower their pricing and then where's the savings from a lower inventory.

Comment

When I sold new cars, the vast majority bought what we had in stock or could get on dealer swap.
            Personally, I ordered new cars (one exception - my new Avanti). I felt that if I just wanted to take what was on the lot it made more sense to buy a slightly used car. I have had seven new cars and many one to three year old cars.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I'm not sure the majority of today's new car buyers, who think of automobiles as a necessary evil, will care that much. Most people seem to want to get quick financing with a payment they can live with, and something they can get NOW.
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

A girlfriend's dad in the early 80's was italian & wanted his new car red (ofcourse) but he aslo wanted it with red interior & they said it only came with light brown... So he replied that he would go & get another brand then! He got what he wanted.
                Before that I never thought about this but it sure opend my eyes & aince then I'm super-surprised why a buyer of a new car go for black, silver or white???
                Josephine
                -55 sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
                  A girlfriend's dad in the early 80's was italian & wanted his new car red (ofcourse) but he aslo wanted it with red interior & they said it only came with light brown... So he replied that he would go & get another brand then! He got what he wanted.
                  Before that I never thought about this but it sure opend my eyes & aince then I'm super-surprised why a buyer of a new car go for black, silver or white???
                  Two reasons on that; 1) It is what the dealers stock because you can get most people into them and/or 2) Most manufacturers now charge extra for what I consider to be nice colors.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I recognize what you guys are saying, and I knew that it existed, but I've never bought a new car, so can someone give me a approximate time when the change from custom ordering to prepackaged cars began?

Comment

I almost purchased a new truck back in 2001, but after dealing with some dealers that kept trying to steer me into something they or a sister dealer had in stock, then ultimately deciding that none of the available Chevy/GMC colors in 2000-2001 were something I could love, I ended up buying an older truck instead (which took almost another full year to locate). To me, dropping $30k (2001 dollars) on a vehicle, it better be EXACTLY what I want, and I'll be patient and wait it out. Another thing was the unavailability of certain options on certain models... fo example, I couldn't get leather seats without an extended cab, no 6.0L engine or trans temp gauge in a half ton, yada yada.
                      Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                        I recognize what you guys are saying, and I knew that it existed, but I've never bought a new car, so can someone give me a approximate time when the change from custom ordering to prepackaged cars began?
                        A family friend ordered a brand new 1982 Chevy Citation with no power steering, power brakes, a/c, radio, or much of anything else. It was powered by a TBI Iron Duke... had no clue that power steering and brakes weren't standard equipment. BTW- The Citation lasted him until he passed away a month ago, so not too bad for reliability, eh?

A neighbor had a 1987 Celebrity Euro with power windows, but no power locks. My 1991 Lumina has power locks but crank windows, and is fairly oddly optioned overall. Most of them I've seen are either highly optioned or stripped, so that's the way most dealers or people were ordering them, but you *could* still get your goods ala carte as late as the first gen Lumina ran (mid 1989-94; 1990-94 model years).
                        Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                          When my father and his brother were in the new-car business, most new cars were ordered specifically for the customer, to his specifications. Sure, they occasionally sold from a small stock, but most people expected to order a car as they wanted, and wait a month or so for it to arrive.
                          I believe that is the reason for Ford encouraging 'special orders' now. With the chip shortage, and other component availability issues, it allows them to buy time where the customer can expect to wait for his new vehicle, as there aren't nearly enough new units 'for immediate delivery' out there at present. A complete, 180° change from late 2008 when dealers couldn't give vehicles sitting on the lot away.

Depending how desperate Ford is at keeping the factories running, maybe one can now order options and paint colors that are not in the current catalog.

Craig
                          Last edited by 8E45E; 08-05-2021, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

I believe that is the reason for Ford encouraging 'special orders' now. With the chip shortage, and other component availability issues, it allows them to buy time where the customer can expect to wait for his new vehicle, as there aren't nearly enough new units 'for immediate delivery' out there right now. A complete, 180° change from late 2008 when dealers couldn't give vehicles sitting on the lot away.

Craig
                            Not long ago, the local, large Ford dealer had new cars and trucks packed into every nook and cranny on their lot. Recently, they are spaced out with about one for every three spaces.

I have seen an electric Mustang on the road about one half mile from my home. I believe in the last month reported, more electric Mustangs were sold than gasoline Mustangs.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                              I have seen an electric Mustang on the road about one half mile from my home. I believe in the last month reported, more electric Mustangs were sold than gasoline Mustangs.
                              Yes, I have seen exactly one on the road here as well. Have all those 'sold' units actually been delivered to the customer yet?

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X