Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody here have or know about Crosleys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody here have or know about Crosleys?

I just got a '48 Crosley wagon in a package deal. Pretty decent but not running in years. Fascinating with everything being so tiny. And like Studebaker they seem to have a pretty devoted following and parts support. If it doesn't sell I may play with it some.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Click image for larger version

Name:	3F1E787D-6CC9-4D31-9B12-69DEDBA42D27.jpeg
Views:	213
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1905571
    Attached Files
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

There are two different Crosley blocks. The first generation had a brazed sheet metal block. They rusted out, so pretty much gone now. The later versions were cast iron.

A guy who also has a Packard bought some V8 parts from me. He was big into the little Crosleys. I'll see if I can find his contact info.

A bit of OT trivia, after the end of car production, the Crosley engine was stood vertically and for another twenty years was sold as an outboard boat engine.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

I know pretty much nothing about them. I seem to remember the early engines had blocks that had sheet metal on the outside of the cylinders to contain the coolant. It was such a problem they soon went to a cast block I believe.
        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Yes, they didn't come out with the CIBA iron block until '49. This one does appear to be a later iron block. Came with a spare engine that looks rebuilt from the outside but the ear where the starter goes is broken off. It shouldn't be a big deal, seller said it ran last year. And the amazing thing is that there seems to be an abundance of engines out there.
          Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

The engines were also used to power generators & refrigeration compressors.
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I have a 1950 Crosley Super sedan. Overhead camshaft, 44 cubic inch with 26.5 hp and factory 4-wheel disc brakes (only offered for the 1950 model year). There was a large parts source in Indiana but everything was bought-out and moved to Nevada a few years ago: Service Motors - Service Motors - The Crosley Parts Leader Since 1940!

Crosley Automobile Club Inc.- Home for all Crosley Car Owners (crosleyautoclub.com)

I seem to recall there being a large parts source in New York also, but I haven't found there website yet.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Bob Andrews, I have 3 stories about the Crosleys, none of which will help you, but neat memories anyway... 1st one I rode in was my Uncle Ray's little red station wagon. He had bought the little propeller and put on the grille that I play'd with, and during my 1st ride in it, he had to slam on the brakes and I was thrown out of the seat and into and under the dash... I was still a tiny guy, but it's a big family story. 2nd story is I was looking at a tiny engine in the crate at an AACA show in Huntsville, AL. back in the late 70s or early 80s, and the guy told me it was a "COBRA" engine. I thanked him, sneakily made some remarks to my wife and her Dad about how dumb he was, then later found out it was for COpper BRAzed block. The crate has U.S. service markings on it, can't remember which arm of the service. 3rd. I had one of those outboards for a while, it actually had FAEGOL stamped on the block, had a tiny aluminum intake with two tiny carbs on it, the distributor came out one end (the "top") of an aluminum valve cover, and the generator looking apparatus was on the top fastened to the flywheel. It had 44 in big letters on the cowl, which I think was cubic inches and NOT horsepower. Neat rig !!! Lousy pics, but you can see it in the background of some of our baby cars we had back then. (still have the 63 Mini) Click image for larger version

Name:	lil tims back.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	1905614 Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	1905615

Comment

Yesterday I watched two episodes of Chasing Classic Cars featuring Crosleys. Great fun!
                  Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                  X