1955-56 Chrysler 300 & Imperial grilles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955-56 Chrysler 300 & Imperial grilles

I might go & look at a -56 New Yorker today but I never could stand the grille on those; it looks so much like something addded later & sits to much outside the body & it's one of the cars I wouldn't mind owning so I could change that. So the option for me is to get hold on 55-56 300 or Imperial grilles or fabric something similar myself cuz those I really fancy!
    Now I wonder if someone can point out any differences between the -55/-56 300 vs Imperial grilles(?) cuz to me they look exactly the same. & I don't mean emblems & such, just the size & shape.
    Yep; second to Studebaker...
    This is where that picture-that-refuses-to-get-in-here would be...

Oh no..? Well whet d'ya know, I thought there was a few MoPar people about here but I've been wrong before.
    (I did go there & I might buy it)

Comment

Nox, I agree with you on the esthetics of the Chrysler 300 / Imperial grille - very pretty and much better than the standard one. I'm an admirer of some Chryslers, including the 1955-56 Chrysler 300's. The only Chrysler I've owned was a '53 Windsor 4-dr. It was built like a bank vault and very comfortable. It wouldn't pull a sitting hen off her nest, though, with that flathead six. I would like to have another one (or another '53-56 model), but would replace the engine & trans.

If you buy the '56 New Yorker please post pix.
      -Dwight

Comment

I've also had early 50's Chryslers; a -53 New Yorker wagon & a -50 Windsor, the Windsor ofcourse wth a flathead six but it was actualy quite powerfull, but I don't know it's history & the only thing I could spot under the hood was that the one barrel carb wasn't original.
        & ok, if I buy the -56, & I will if I can, I'll post pictures...
        Here's the -50 Windsor:

Click image for larger version

Name:	vår se'n.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1903533

Comment

It looks pretty good to me. I like the plain sides.
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
            I might go & look at a -56 New Yorker today but I never could stand the grille on those; it looks so much like something addded later & sits to much outside the body & it's one of the cars I wouldn't mind owning so I could change that. So the option for me is to get hold on 55-56 300 or Imperial grilles or fabric something similar myself cuz those I really fancy!
            Now I wonder if someone can point out any differences between the -55/-56 300 vs Imperial grilles(?) cuz to me they look exactly the same. & I don't mean emblems & such, just the size & shape.
            Yep; second to Studebaker...
            I like the 1956 New Yorker grille. I hope that you know that for 1956, the New Yorker grille is different from the others (Newport, Windsor).
            I do not believe that it is simply a matter of bolting in those different grilles that you mention. I believe that the front panel would also have to be changed.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes Gary, I think anyone can see that there's at least a middle piece to be added & for sure more to make the 300/Imperial grille sides fit.
              What I find interesting is how well a "-56 Chrysler style" grille would have fitted the -55 Studebaker sedan, ever thought about that? Me neither... Until a few days ago when I really took some time to look at it. Even the hood is similar shaped with the bulge being so wide & slightly square.
              Or even on a -56(!) Studebaker sedan as then it would've matched the Hawk face better with its "happy mouth" looks. Maby nobody agree with that thou..?
              Anyway; I aint there yet & when/if I get it (yes, there are others interested) there's other stuff to be done first.
              Last edited by Noxnabaker; 07-17-2021, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Nine months ago I was faced with having to dispose of a good friends car collection for his family after his passing. Fifteen years ago he had asked me to handle the job. He was frightened , and rightly so, that his wife would dispose of the cars and be fleeced in the process. Disposal was a based as much on the what was best for the cars as it was their money value. Mal wanted me to have the pick of his eclectic seventeen car collection. It was to be payment for my efforts, but more then that it was a gift of our forty five year friendship.

At first I was reluctant to accept the gift, but he insisted. The collection included three 1956 Imperials and a 1956 Chrysler 300B. I might add that I knew his cars almost as well as he did. I chose the 300B, but nothing was in writing and I wasn't even sure that he had said anything to his wife about what the two of us had talked about. Between a back injury, my age, Covid, and thirteen hundred miles that separated us, in late November no less, my involvement had to be from where I live. Long story short I was able to find a buyer, but didn't get the car. Sad, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Years ago I had purchased two beautiful grills for the car. I now have no use for them. They will be for sale.

Comment

Oh that was a negative ending...

Anyway, I just saw this:

Name:	Imperial.PNG
Views:	208
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	1904084
                  & figured it's not difficult at all to fabricate the plating for the grilles (so much like Volvo Amazon/122) but I can easily guess the prices of 55-56 300/Imperial grilles = way out of my range. I just have to make something similar myself.
                  Last edited by Noxnabaker; 07-21-2021, 02:03 PM.

Comment

A pretty impressive driving:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yWMIcra40s

Comment

As I was pawing through the net for this thread I happened upon the 56 that I was supposed to have gotten. It may not look like much, but it's a PNW car and legit in every way. I've been around this car, driven it and worked on it since the 70's. We always believed that the speedometer had turned over once, so I think the real mileage 130K. Original interior and chrome, but it might have had some repaint work. If I had gotten the car I would have done the little bit or rust repair needed and paint it and leave it otherwise original.

https://www.goodingco.com/lot/1956-chrysler-300b-1

Comment

Oh that's sweet!:
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	hallabut miss.PNG Views:	0 Size:	28.8 KB ID:	1904393
                        One thing I thought of is wheel arches... I watch "Uncle Tony's Garage" sometimes at youtube & he pointed out why the Plymouth Barracuda never was considerd a "real" ponycar; it's because they left the rear wheel openings low original from the Valiant while Mustang & Camaro had their arches opend up. & yes, I think that made a lot of difference as it made the Barracuda look mode soft.
                        & from that to this; the -55 Imperial has round arches & as coupe I think it looks sportier that the flat-top ones & I sure think the 300 should have had it instead of the Imperial...
                        Don't you agree?:

Click image for larger version  Name:	55 imperial.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.9 KB ID:	1904394

Comment

[QUOTE=Noxnabaker;n1903590]
                          What I find interesting is how well a "-56 Chrysler style" grille would have fitted the -55 Studebaker sedan, ever thought about that? Me neither... Until a few days ago when I really took some time to look at it. Even the hood is similar shaped with the bulge being so wide & slightly square.
                          Or even on a -56(!) Studebaker sedan as then it would've matched the Hawk face better with its "happy mouth" looks. Maby nobody agree with that thou..?
                          Anyway; I aint there yet & when/if I get it (yes, there are others interested) there's other stuff to be done first.[/B]

The customized 55 Speedster I had was originally modified with a 56 Chrysler grill (and 61 Chrysler canted quad headlights)

Name:	IMG_6907 copy.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	1904412

Name:	custom.speedster copy.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1904413

By the time I got it, the grill had been changed. Still a Chrysler grill, I believe, but I don't remember what year...

Name:	IMG_7118 copy.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	1904414
                          Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick - I believe that it was first a 1956 New Yorker (only) grille. The later one appears to be 1961-1962 Newport grille and headlight assemblies. Of course, the grille is mounted low.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes Dick, I've seen that one before, nice one & I really like the rear & prefer it with the -62 NewPort grille.

Off topic; today I think I've done the last work on Josephine's face, the weld spots I'll leave:

Click image for larger version  Name:	003.JPG Views:	0 Size:	58.8 KB ID:	1904437
                              Last edited by Noxnabaker; 07-24-2021, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X