Dogs everywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogs everywhere

What's with it where now people are bringing their dogs everywhere? Is the dog going to help you pick out lumber at Home Depot, help get your package mailed at the P.O., or give you his preference on dog food in the grocery store. This is the U. S. of A., not France.
    What I've always feared would happen, happened today at the grocery store. The dog took a dump right in the deli section. It's not the dog's fault it's the clueless owner. The Mgr. came over and forcefully told the owner to take himself and the dog out of the store and she told him they'd be happy if he never came back. The owner stammered, "It was hot out today and I couldn't leave him in the car."
    "That's not our problem sir. Leave NOW!!"
    I went over and thanked her. We're dealing with clueless individuals and it's time to make them realize how clueless they are. Rarely have I ever used my horn, but I'm tired of waiting at intersections while the driver in front of me continues their conversation on the phone or is looking something up.
    Okay, I'm now 68 and retired, but I'm above room temperature and I'm tired of putting up with this mindless sh*t pretending that it's okay to take your time and bring Fido wherever your heart pleases you. Wake UP!
    Okay, I'll get off of my soap box, it's Happy Hour.

For some reason many people in recent history have no common sense or are so self centered that they could care less about anyone else. In most places it is illegal to bring an animal into a grocery store or restaurant unless the dog is a certified service dog. I would never think about bringing my German Shepherd into a grocery store or restaurant. She likes to ride in the car, but when it is hot outside, she stays home in the airconditioned house. I also agree that there are more distracted drivers using their phones while driving. I live in Kingman, Arizona which is for the most part rural and I still had to use my horn a couple of times yesterday because some idiot was texting instead of paying attention to the traffic light. Bud

Comment

Yep, they're ALL over the country! We get the "north easterners" that come down on vacation, have NO clue where they are going, while talking or texting on their phones. Somewhere I saw that somebody makes a 12 volt train horn to replace your car horn! I just might look into that!! A few years ago we did a repair on Adam Vinatari's truck, he had an actual train horn mounted under the bed. I asked him had he ever used it, "Only when I showed up at the Colts training facility" he let them know he had arrived! He "said" he never used it on the streets.

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37260529493...EAAOSw8qVfrJpC
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

THANK you. I have no idea how people have suddenly started thinking dogs are people. They have ridiculous sayings like ‘fur babies’ and call themselves a dog’s ‘mommy’ or ‘daddy’. And they expect everybody to think that Fido is as wonderful as they do and that they’re equal to a human. They bring them to places that are confusing or even frightening to them, and think they’re doing something great. It’s mind boggling.

I like dogs just fine. But they are JUST DOGS. They are not children, and you did not give birth to them. We currently don’t have one because we don’t want to have to figure out how to care for them when we’re working or traveling, or spend the money to acquire and care for them. And we don’t want hair and stink all over our stuff. That doesn’t mean we don’t enjoy seeing them IN THE APPROPRIATE VENUE.

At some point, hopefully, the tide will turn back toward rationality. People survived thousands of years without having to have a dog everywhere as ‘emotional support’. Have and enjoy your dogs; that’s the whole point. But we need to stop convincing ourselves that are what they are not. It’s starting to get out of hand.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

At the annual arts and crafts event in Tucson known as the Street Fair, not only dogs on a crowded street scene, but there are people with parrots, monkeys, and my favorite, boa constrictors draped around them.

I stopped going after medical conditions have affected me. It is only a guess, but in these instances, people are wanting attention drawn to them. Never bought anything except a straw hat that was light and cool to wear.

Bob Miles
            The deer said to the antelope "I just heard a discouraging word"

Comment

Our little dog is about 8 now and middle aged. She used to be able to go with us places like the farmers market but now she gets too anxious so we leave her behind.

People do seem to lack judgment about a lot of things today. The way a lot of folks dress is just ludicrous in many cases. Driving while texting is rampant too. One day I saw this guy whizzing along about 20 mph in traffic driving one handed on his scooter and talking on a phone....no eye or head protection either.
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

'Couldn't agree more...and what of the dogs' welfare? It was so cruel to attend our town's 4th of July Fireworks show and see all the anxious dogs at their owners' feet, fearful of the noise and commotion. Worthy of a citation for animal cruelty, IMHO. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                  In most places it is illegal to bring an animal into a grocery store or restaurant unless the dog is a certified service dog.
                  The problem is that it seems EVERYBODY'S pet is now a certified service or emotional support animal. Probably because of all the internet sites that will provide the certification (legally) for a small fee. If you need a doctor's note to back up the certification, they provide that also. I love animals, but I'm not a fan of a Chihuahua barking its little head off at the table in the restaurant next to me, or of the big slobbering filthy horse size dog in the produce aisle at the grocery store, or the emotional support Iguana in the seat on the airplane next to me.

(I'm starting to sound like an old man )
                  Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 07-12-2021, 07:11 AM.
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick, you're young at heart.
                    Before anyone comes down on me as being a "dog-hater" please be aware of the fact that I've owned and cared for dogs for 48 of my 68 years on planet Earth. I was probably one of 10 individuals in the U.S. who regularly picked up after my dog way back in the late 60's early 70's. Most people thought I was nuts. We've been dogless now for 10 years but given our status as newly-retired and taking long hikes in National parks, I can't see it being fair for a dog to be home alone for well over 8 hours.

Comment

I'm perhaps a bit of an outlier, but I have a cat that I consider a full on member of my family. She's been with me 17 years now (and still in good health!), and has well earned that place in my life (long story). She rides around on my shoulder at home, and actually likes to travel by car. If you come to my place, there might be a little cat hair on the floor, furnishings, and bed, and she's allowed to do her thing... She is surprisingly well behaved, but I wouldn't think of pushing the animal onto others and their personal space.

Where I'm going with this... is that at one time I managed a residential group home. One of the clients was a middle aged man who was highly autistic. He was nonverbal, save for being able to blurt out a few words here and there. He liked to go places, but was extremely afraid of dogs and most other animals. This meant that we had to seek out places to go where there weren't going to be dogs walking around, but occasionally you would run into a legitimate service dog somewhere you wouldn't expect it. This meant the trip had to be immediately aborted, and we hauled butt back to the van and vacated. While you may need your dog for emotional support on your outing, S____ needed there NOT to be a dog for his, and he had just as much right to be in a restaurant or book store as anyone else. Just dragging a dog inside a business for whatever selfish reasons is crap.
                      Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Usually when I go some place crowded, I think, “this would be a lot better if there were less people and more dogs.”

Comment

I saw a bumper sticker that said:

Wag more. Bark less.
                          Last edited by RadioRoy; 07-13-2021, 08:46 AM.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I agree Matthew as we find our dogs (two Golden Retrievers) to be better company than most people. We are retired and they go absolutely everywhere with us with zero problems or hiccups. There is very little more satisfying than seeing two happy heads hanging out the windows on our back road.
                            As for Dick's comment in post #1, that is the owners fault, not the dogs. Our guys even tell us when they have to go potty and we let them out (we live in the wilderness so no problems) and they respect our house and surrounding area by hiking up the mountain to their personal dumping grounds, never near the house. We never have to clean up after them. We even (until this covid border closure BS) travel back and forth to Arizona and they are fabulous and easy to live with.
                            So aside from dog hair being in my staple diet, there is no downside.
                            Bill & Sonja

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                              THANK you. I have no idea how people have suddenly started thinking dogs are people. They have ridiculous sayings like ‘fur babies’ and call themselves a dog’s ‘mommy’ or ‘daddy’. And they expect everybody to think that Fido is as wonderful as they do and that they’re equal to a human. They bring them to places that are confusing or even frightening to them, and think they’re doing something great. It’s mind boggling.

I like dogs just fine. But they are JUST DOGS. They are not children, and you did not give birth to them. We currently don’t have one because we don’t want to have to figure out how to care for them when we’re working or traveling, or spend the money to acquire and care for them. And we don’t want hair and stink all over our stuff. That doesn’t mean we don’t enjoy seeing them IN THE APPROPRIATE VENUE.

At some point, hopefully, the tide will turn back toward rationality. People survived thousands of years without having to have a dog everywhere as ‘emotional support’. Have and enjoy your dogs; that’s the whole point. But we need to stop convincing ourselves that are what they are not. It’s starting to get out of hand.
                              I was going to comment but you said it best
                              Murray
                              Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

Working...
                              X