PayPal Policy/ Should have said Ebay policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PayPal Policy/ Should have said Ebay policy

Has anyone experienced a change in checking out with PayPal? Bought something about the 23rd , with no hitches. Today it ask for another credit card info ??
    Last edited by Flashback; 07-04-2021, 04:09 PM.

Has the card you had registered with them been re-issued with an updated expiration?
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Be very certain the query is from PayPal. Never, ever, click on a link in an e-mail. Go to the PayPal URL directly through your browser.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Ebay is no longer associated with PayPal. So, they are asking for everyone to use their new service.

Jack is spot on. Do not click on emails requesting you update your information. Go directly to the host site.

Rhys Arthur
        49 2R5
        66 Cruiser
        66 Commander
        84 Avanti

Comment

After reading what's going on, I have to ask, anybody found a alternative to ebay?

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
            After reading what's going on, I have to ask, anybody found a alternative to ebay?
            I still buy something from eBay almost every week. I haven’t tried selling there in some time, it’s too convoluted to understand. It’s a shame, it used to be the ultimate. Never was a big fan of Craigslist either, the format is odd and outdated. Still use PayPal constantly, never had a problem with it.

90% of my advertised selling is Facebook Marketplace. It’s a great platform, and I have been very successful there, both buying and selling. And, it’s free. It works so well, I keep waiting for them to somehow ruin it like eBay did.
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I order some items from a vendor in China and they sent me a USPS tracking number which showed my order was sent to Michigan, I'm in Vermont. I emailed them about the order and got no response, so I filed a claim with PayPal. PayPal refunded my order costs within a day. Sure beats going through the credit card company with a claim.
              Dan Peterson
              Montpelier, VT
              1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
              1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

I still use Paypal for most of my transactions on the web. I like it because you don't need to use an individual credit card number as Paypal just transfers the money to the seller from the card number they have on file. I haven't noticed any changes lately.

I use the Amazon/Chase card on Amazon as it's a 5% credit on each purchase.

I'm in discussions with Ebay currently as they have $237 on hold and want me to give them either my savings or checking account numbers required by their new policy. That isn't going to happen so I'm done selling and buying from them until they change their policy. There was no requirement to give them my account numbers when I signed up years ago so we'll see how it goes.

Bob
                Last edited by sweetolbob; 07-04-2021, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                  I still use Paypal for most of my transactions on the web. I like it because you don't need to use an individual credit card number as Paypal just transfers the money to the seller from the card number they have on file. I haven't noticed any changes lately.

I use the Amazon/Chase card on Amazon as it's a 5% credit on each purchase.

I'm in discussions with Ebay currently as they have $237 on hold and want me to give them either my savings or checking account numbers required by their new policy. That isn't going to happen so I'm done selling and buying from them until they change their policy. There was no requirement to give them my account numbers when I signed up years ago so we'll see how it goes.

Bob
                  The last purchase i tried on Ebay (last week), was a failure? I am left scratching my head after trying three times to purchase an item with PayPal. They kept asking for another credit card number ?? This hasn't been the case in all the years i have used ebay. I still use and like paypal other places

Comment

I use the debit carb associated with my Paypal account, and have never had a minutes trouble making payments with eBay, Reverb, or Amazon.
                    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                      I use the debit carb associated with my Paypal account, and have never had a minutes trouble making payments with eBay, Reverb, or Amazon.
                      Same here.
                      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                      Romans 15:13
                      Deuteronomy 31:6
                      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

As mentioned below, eBay has split ways with Paypal. eBay now requires you to keep a credit card on file for your account. That now will be the primary/default payment source for all your transactions.

eBay began life without tying itself to credit card companies. You paid the seller directly (I bought many Postal Money Orders to do so), I've been using eBay since 1998. I have things I'd have never located because of eBay.

Paypal is still an option, but the default payment source will be the credit card you have on file with eBay. I never would have opened a Paypal account unless eBay had almost required a Paypal account for so many years. Now, you don't need a Paypal account to buy on eBay. Good or bad, it means eBay has assumed the responsibility to pay the seller.

Frankly, I've never seen so much confusion as I have on the SDC Forum about Paypal/eBay. Now that they are not joined at the hip, it may be easier for some of you to use eBay. Just give them a credit card number, if you dare.

Comment

Originally posted by 556063 View Post
                          As mentioned below, eBay has split ways with Paypal. eBay now requires you to keep a credit card on file for your account. That now will be the primary/default payment source for all your transactions.

eBay began life without tying itself to credit card companies. You paid the seller directly (I bought many Postal Money Orders to do so), I've been using eBay since 1998. I have things I'd have never located because of eBay.

Paypal is still an option, but the default payment source will be the credit card you have on file with eBay. I never would have opened a Paypal account unless eBay had almost required a Paypal account for so many years. Now, you don't need a Paypal account to buy on eBay. Good or bad, it means eBay has assumed the responsibility to pay the seller.

Frankly, I've never seen so much confusion as I have on the SDC Forum about Paypal/eBay. Now that they are not joined at the hip, it may be easier for some of you to use eBay. Just give them a credit card number, if you dare.
                          Those are options to buy but the seller will have the funds credited to a Managed Payments (MP) account that is linked to their bank savings/checking. There is no way I know to get those funds out of Ebay without giving them my banking info. I know this because they are holding money until I send them that info, which will never happen.

I have had several communications with them and they will only transfer the funds to an account. They say open a separate account and then close it after they transfer the money. A separate account will still have my account number associated with it, just a different ending digit indicating the new account. They will still have those numbers in their files which is what I'm avoiding. The rest of the data came from talking to my Credit Union.

I'm done with Ebay, I won't cost them much but it will be more than they are holding.

As an aside - Eventhough I have money in my Ebay account, I can't use it to purchase anything from an Ebay seller unless I transfer it out of Ebay into my bank. Neat business model!!!!????

Bob
                          Last edited by sweetolbob; 07-14-2021, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post

A separate account will still have my account number associated with it, just a different ending digit indicating the new account. They will still have those numbers in their files which is what I'm avoiding.

Bob
                            I haven't sold anything on eBay for 20 years, but the beauty of the initial business model was that they didn't handle the payment. They trusted the seller to pay the fee (commission) to them.

Paypal served as a third party payment service for them. You had to give Paypal your bank account numbers.

The internet and customer base has changed. Also, there was the period where "ghost sellers" set up accounts and skipped off with the money. I only got bit once, and it was a small amount. Another thing that annoys me is half the eBay listings today are just reselling off Amazon. I will not use Amazon.

They had to do something to weed out the fakes and stay competitive with other e-commerce sites.

I think you can still list and dictate the payment terms. Great for big ticket items, limits your buyers if you are selling items under $100.

Not going to argue it's perfect, but it still offers the largest audience to sell to. While trying to cater to younger consumers who just use credit cards.

Comment

Originally posted by 556063 View Post
                              I think you can still list and dictate the payment terms. Great for big ticket items, limits your buyers if you are selling items under $100.
                              While the seller can dictate payment terms there is no option the seller has to dictate where the payment goes. It will only go to the sellers savings or checking account in a bank or credit union. Therein lies my issue, I don't want my account info in anybody's data base. If I was a large seller, I'd setup a separate account in a new institution with entirely new numbers and empty it once a day but as I only sell a few items a year it's not worth doing.

That drives a lot of we small sellers out unless we want go through hoops or take a chance on our accounts being compromised.

Let's look at an example, I will be putting a 53/54 C/K hood, trunk lid and rear fender spears up for sale in the future. I'll start here but if they don't sell my next option would have been to go to Ebay. Not any more so they may not sell and somebody in the future will clean them out of my polebarn as scrap unless they would sell on Craigslist.

I don't share your aversion to Amazon. They are much more user friendly than Ebay particularly on there return policies which I've used several times.

I'll wrap up my commentary on this issue with this post.

Carry-on, Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X