Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just don't understand this master brake cylinder...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just don't understand this master brake cylinder...

I took the master brake cylinder appart, it's from the Citroen, & there's some small parts that I can't figure out how they're gonna fit.
    & when googeling I only see pictures without the small pieces, this is what mine looks like:

Click image for larger version  Name:	010.JPG Views:	0 Size:	30.9 KB ID:	1900853
    Click image for larger version  Name:	009.JPG Views:	0 Size:	24.5 KB ID:	1900856
    So in mine there's a small spring too in the front, difficult to see in the picture...
    & this is what I find on google, asking for pictures of "Citroen Traction Avant 11CV Master Brake Cylinder":

Click image for larger version  Name:	hy - wielremcilinder-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	37.6 KB ID:	1900854
    Click image for larger version  Name:	unnamed.jpg Views:	0 Size:	27.2 KB ID:	1900855
    (text on the lower picture is in Dutch)

That small collection of parts was a check valve which is supposed to hold a residual pressure of a fraction of a bar on the brake system even when the pedal is released. The rubber washer is just to seal it to the end of the cylinder bore. Your new rebuild kit should contain a new assembled "bodenventil", so just discard those old parts. Also, turn your main spring end for end so that the metal cup will push against the afdichtring.

Comment

Aha, well I'm not Dutch, I just found this on the internet. What I wonder is that in the picture with only numbers there's no small spring, metal plate with holes or "nail-looking thing" & there's loads of the other kind of pictures, the two lower pictures, on internet considering Citroen 11cv master brake cylinder.
      So I figure that maby I can just skip these parts...
      Last edited by Noxnabaker; 06-27-2021, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Modern kits have an annoying tendency to fit several different applications, (requiring one, or more of these extra parts), aside from your particular application. Take your old parts and schematic and assemble using only the parts shown, or existing in your old unit. Discard the other junk, unless there is a note in the new parts box indicating something is a replacement, or upgrade part for your specific application.

Bo
        Bo

Comment

The extra parts + the rest on the top pictures are the "old" parts & the other two are the way I'm used to.
          The cylinder is just taken appart cuz the ex owner said something felt strange, so I removed it & took it appart & then all the "extra" stuff was there. Anyway; I just wonderd if anyone had any knowlage of that since I never experianced those little details.

Comment

Hello Nox,
            I hope you are fine and enjoying the summer. The little parts are a dismantled residual pressure valve. I've never seen this before as they usually are fully assembled. Don't discard this unless you plan to use this MC on a car equipped with disc brakes. The picture with the numbers shows one of these valves but you can't notice the spring on this views. The last picture shows a MC with the earlier valve with no spring but a rubber diaphragm that is just pushed away by the flow of fluid.
            You might find this view is clearer:
            Nice day to all.
            sigpic

Comment

Oh thanx Christophe, now I see!
              I will get a complete new master cylinder later this week as I don't trust old or even renovated ones, experiances I could have done without...

& yes; I'm always at my best in hot weather! I guess you have a quite warm summer too? Our place is always the hottest & driest in the area & that suits me fine.
              New cat in the house too; Plyma - swedish nickname for Plymouth as we already have Dodge:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Plyma 28 Juni 2021.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1900998

Comment

Name:	1624909308580383840746.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1901003

Here is my own black & white, currently resting on the salon table. Congrats for Plyma. I am glad he found a good home. In case you need some Traction parts, do no hesitate to ask, a friend of mine knows where to find them.
                sigpic

Comment

100 km from me, in Malmø, there's "citrofilur" with parts & 3000 km north-west in Gøteborg is "Stålnackes" who I've visited at the time when I built my DS Rallye Coupe', so I think I'm good with parts, but thanx all the same Christophe!
                  Maby it's a wee bit more expensieve like this but probably quicker.

So what's that beauty cat's name?
                  Here's Dodge:

Name:	Dodge pømsig.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1901005

Comment

Name:	1624910787774234968066.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1901007
                    The black & white is named Maxou. Here is my own black model named Zaubette.
                    sigpic

Comment

"Like" just aint enough...

Comment

Working...
                      X