Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting article about the future of electric cars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anxious to hear what you think.

Comment

Also Bob, how are they going to stop another car/driver from parking next to one?
      Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
        Just got this Tesla Model 3 dual motor for a
        couple days
        A family member owns one like that. The acceleration almost can't be believed. To go that quick in absolute silence is mind-altering; faster than any street rod I've ever driven but without all the noise and fuss. It's also a great highway car if one can adjust to stopping to supercharge every three hours.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

It's also a great highway car if one can adjust to stopping to supercharge every three hours.

jack vines
          I have to stop every 3 hours to take a leak anyway.

I looked at my car usage over the last two years. I know everyone has a different pattern, but during that time I took 2 trips longer than the range of my Model 3 (250 miles). With the frequency of Tesla Superchargers, and networks of other chargers (and the size of my bladder ), I can't discount a mid range EV based on long distance trips I take. Your criteria may vary.
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

A family member owns one like that. The acceleration almost can't be believed. To go that quick in absolute silence is mind-altering; faster than any street rod I’ve ever driven

jack vines
            Truth.
            I was 7 the first time I drove a car. In the ensuing 53 years I’ve driven so many things, including 24 years racing cars, many with brutal acceleration. But none compare to this. It’s like a magnetic rollercoaster launch.

I’ll give more of a report later, but early impressions: you have to shelve most of what you know from driving IC cars, but it’s very intuitive, at least for me. Trickiest is almost no using the brake pedal; once you get used to it though it’s awesome. I am however concerned with battery usage observed so far. More later.
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
              Trickiest is almost no using the brake pedal; once you get used to it though it’s awesome.
              We took to the one-pedal immediately and consider it the best single EV feature. We can drive for weeks without using the brake pedal unless another driver does something dangerous.

jack vines

PackardV8

Comment

https://www.autoweek.com/news/green-...letter_Sending
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

What about the revolutionary new batteries ( Ultium) GM is supposed to be introducing?

Comment

"The recall itself is still expected to carry a price tag of $1.8 billion for the automaker".
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Bob,
                      Have you heard how they plan to recycle (destroy) the batteries they are removing?
                      Bill
                      ​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                        Bob,
                        Have you heard how they plan to recycle (destroy) the batteries they are removing?
                        Bill
                        In theory, the batteries are too valuable to destroy. Since only a fraction of a percentage of the cells have the manufacturing faults, a recycler might buy them, test all cells and rebuild them into packs for later use; this is being done with Chevrolet Volt batteries today. An alternative use might be for power walls.

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

If I was to purchase a new electric car now, it would probably be either a Cadillac Lyric or Ford Mustang Mach-e. Partly due to nearby dealers and also the appearance.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            If I was to purchase a new electric car now, it would probably be either a Cadillac Lyric or Ford Mustang Mach-e. Partly due to nearby dealers and also the appearance.
                            Gary, for either of those, you'll be waiting a year and paying considerably above MSRP. Both cars have long reservation lists.

FWIW, many of us who currently own the Bolt don't want GM to buy them back, since there's nothing currently available at the same price point which has the same performance.

jack vines
                            PackardV8

Comment

Gary, for either of those, you'll be waiting a year and paying considerably above MSRP. Both cars have long reservation lists.
                              The new Ford F100 Lightning which won't be shipping until this Spring has 150,000 pre order reservations prompting Ford to increase production to 80,000 per year.

https://www.forbes.com/wheels/featur...g-performance/

Ford is 2 years behind before they ship their first one! The consumer continues to tell the automakers over and over what they want and the automakers just don't get it.
                              Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Food for thought

Bill Foy
                                1000 Islands, Ontario
                                1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Working...
                                X