Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting article about the future of electric cars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy R. View Post
    The rep was happy to let me attach two child car seats and give it a "spirited" drive. I never to this day heard so much laughing from the back seat as under acceleration with that car.
    Well, now there is another substantial reason to buy an EV: a fun ride for the kids or grandkids.
    -Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

The small town of Bargersville IN, due south of Indianapolis, has had a Tesla patrol car for a couple of years. 'Haven't heard much about it lately, though. BP
      Just a guess, but I think a Tesla would sustain only one PIT maneuver before immediate retirement.
      Perhaps a protective exo-frame inspired by our TRUE favorite EVs!

Click image for larger version

Name:	320px-Bumper_car_from_the_1950ies.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	1908888

Oh yeah, in my earlier mention of my preschooler boys laughing at the sense of acceleration, as much of that could be attributed to regenerative braking.
      Andy
      62 GT

Comment

Just a guess, but I think a Tesla would sustain only one PIT maneuver before immediate retirement.
        Good point, Andy... BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Perhaps a protective exo-frame inspired by our TRUE favorite …
          so, I took a moment to google Tesla’s crash ratings. They are rather impressive. With typical law enforcement bumper enhancements, I suspect that the vehicle should compare very well against traditional vehicles with a skilled driver.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Interesting article from Car & Driver. Some of the comments are amusing...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ign=nl24526744
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

VERY interesting. Puts a cloud over the whole EV situation.
              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
              50 Champion 2 door*
              53 Commander K Auto*
              53 Commander K overdrive*
              55 President Speedster
              62 GT 4Speed*
              63 Avanti R1*
              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                VERY interesting. Puts a cloud over the whole EV situation.
                Or not. The Takata air bag recall has endangered 42,000,000 vehicles and has that put a cloud over the whole air bag situation? Not so much, every vehicle produced since has from two to ten air bags.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Did you read the July/August 2021 Car and Driver devoted mostly to EV's?
                  It has an interesting article on driving 11 EV's for a 1000 miles across 4 states.
                  My conclusion was that I sure don't have the patience required.
                  Bill

Comment

I haven't been in reading about this for quite some time now so I don't know if the electric car fires have been discussed but it sure worries me BIGtime! This guys videos I've found interesting about other stuff & here's a video that enlightend me just now:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuVxwmnhqP4
                    I'd say it sure makes one think & I wouldn't wanna see my friends ending up in a situation like that...

Name:	TeslaFire.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	1912295

Name:	TeslaChargFire.png
Views:	60
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	1912296
                    sigpic

Josephine
                    Champion V8
                    4d sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
                      I haven't been in reading about this for quite some time now so I don't know if the electric car fires have been discussed but it sure worries me BIGtime! This guys videos I've found interesting about other stuff & here's a video that enlightend me just now:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuVxwmnhqP4
                      I'd say it sure makes one think & I wouldn't wanna see my friends ending up in a situation like that...

Name:	TeslaFire.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	1912295

Name:	TeslaChargFire.png
Views:	60
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	1912296
                      ...because ICE cars NEVER catch on fire

Comment

Well Creegster, if you look at the video & read up about it you'll see it's no denying that but there's quite a MIGHTY BIG difference.
                        & yes; I've had a few fires myself.
                        Last edited by Noxnabaker; 09-19-2021, 11:26 AM.
                        sigpic

Josephine
                        Champion V8
                        4d sedan

Comment

6.5 million (gas powered) vehicles recalled because they could catch fire at any moment.
                          https://www.click2houston.com/consum...rs-one-of-them

BMW recalls 1,000,000 vehicles for fire risk
                          https://www.autosafety.org/bmw-recal...les-fire-risk/

Toyota recalls Tundras for fire hazard.
                          JEEP WRANGLER RECALL ISSUED AFTER FUEL LEAK FIRES
                          40,000 Lincoln Aviators recalled for fire risk
                          GM recalls 331,000 pickups for fire risk,
                          Model year 2021 Cadillac XT5 & XT6s, and GMC Acadias recalled for fire risk
                          RAM TRUCK ENGINE FIRE RECALL INVOLVES 32,000 VEHICLES
                          2021 Genesis GV80, G80 2.5T recalled with potential fuel pipe fault
                          https://jackwardfire.com/fire-recalls/

The above are just ones in the last couple of months.

Lots of press on the Chevy Bolt fires. Somewhat deserved. GM didn't exactly reinvent the wheel with their EV.

The media would get no readership if they reported on ICE vehicle fires. They happen every day. An EV fire, OTOH, will get reported on and read due to the novelty of EVs.

"...from 2012 to 2020 there was about one Tesla vehicle fire per 205 million miles traveled—versus one per 19 million miles traveled for all types, citing data from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and U.S. Department of Transportation."

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...s-gas-vehicles

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

'Looks like New York is on board:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...0Non%20Openers

Meanwhile, the latest Bolt instructions from The General are to park your Bolt not only outside, but at least 50 feet from other vehicles! Well, at least that will garner plenty of exercise from the far corners of parking lots. I hope they get that sorted out before New York's ban goes into effect...I mean, some places in New York don't have 50 feet to spare between vehicles, do they? BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Also Bob, how are they going to stop another car/driver from parking next to one?
                              Bill

Comment

Just got this Tesla Model 3 dual motor for a
                                couple days

Name:	EB5EE59A-3F42-4F0C-821C-38F31C48998C.jpeg
Views:	0
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	1912784
                                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                                Romans 15:13
                                Deuteronomy 31:6
                                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                                X