Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting article about the future of electric cars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting article about the future of electric cars.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57...=pocket-newtab
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

They do seem to be our future form of transportation. Makes me wonder if restoring an old petrol powered car is a poor way to spend money. How long will gasoline and diesel be available? I would love to have an electric car, but most of our driving is outside the 300 mile range, and it wouldn't make sense to have one for the small amount of local driving that we do. With better batteries, and quicker charge times, they will become more feasible to own.

Comment

I suppose it is just not doable but it seems to me that quick change batteries would be the way to go. You drive in to the "change center", they disconnect your battery and swap in a charged one and off you go.
      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
      50 Champion 2 door*
      53 Commander K Auto*
      53 Commander K overdrive*
      55 President Speedster
      62 GT 4Speed*
      63 Avanti R1*
      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

But...
        https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/in...negligible-co2

Or
        ​​​​​​​https://www.zerohedge.com/commoditie...-resource-race
        Bill Foy
        1000 Islands, Ontario
        1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Billy View Post
          But...

Or
          A recent study at the University of Toronto has determined the carbon footprint of manufacturing an electric car, and its batteries, and regularly charging it is higher than that of an equivalent internal combustion car; until they each reach about 22,000 miles. And then the electric vehicle far exceeds the efficiency of the ICE vehicle.

https://www.wsj.com/graphics/are-ele...r5tgjSBhyWMifs

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10,
          '51 Commander Starlight,
          '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

As much as I am in favor of EVs, why don't we invest in reliable and effective mass transit? A lot of the issues would disappear.
            78 Avanti RQB 2792
            64 Avanti R1 R5408
            63 Avanti R1 R4551
            63 Avanti R1 R2281
            62 GT Hawk V15949
            56 GH 6032504
            56 GH 6032588
            55 Speedster 7160047
            55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Another article that thinks it has everything figured out, yet does not acknowledge the source of (considerable) resistance: practicality.

The way the market works in the real world is, if what you’re selling does what needs to be done better than what’s already here, it will be bought. No incentives, mandates, or government pressure needed.

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
              As much as I am in favor of EVs, why don't we invest in reliable and effective mass transit? A lot of the issues would disappear.
              The problem with this idea has always been two-fold: one, outside cities there is no way to make the idea practical and two, where it is, people still want the freedom of transporting themselves on their own schedule, with their own people, as opposed to trying to conform to a transit company’s schedule, and doing so crammed in with strangers.

Mass transit is always presented with great fanfare, yet frequently struggles financially in actual use- usually for the reasons noted.

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I wonder what's gonna happen to butan/propan for all the campers in the world..?
                & the reason why I'm asking this silly question here is because my -55 sedan Josephine runs on LPG or(!) gasoline, I can just press a button either way...
                This is where that picture-that-refuses-to-get-in-here would be...

Comment

I'm a huge fan of EV's and just ordered a Tesla model 3 for delivery in July. If I was rich I'd want to order the model S Plaid it just set the world record for production passenger car quarter mile of 9.24 seconds and 0 to 60 1.99. I just spent a half day installing a 240 volt outlet to charger at home.
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
                    I wonder what's gonna happen to butan/propan for all the campers in the world..?
                    & the reason why I'm asking this silly question here is because my -55 sedan Josephine runs on LPG or(!) gasoline, I can just press a button either way...
                    Did you install the LPG system yourself? Is the storage tank in trunk of the car? Do you have photos and component information? I ask because I have considered doing this to a Studebaker.
                    sigpic
                    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

The future is not some linear progression off in the future, or unobtainable fantasy, it's here and now. I'm sure that to a great extent, it depends on where you live, but if you lived where I do you wouldn't have to wonder about the future, it's everywhere.

I read on the AACA forum, that as expected, California was number one in EV sales, but number two was not NY, or Texas or Florida, it was Washington state. With 7+ million people that may sound far fetched, unless you lived in the Greater Seattle area. Money, technology, high gas taxes, relatively cheap electricity, mild climate and hills, all make the EV technology a perfect fit.

With cheap fuel prices the US would have been in deep trouble keeping up with the direction the rest of the world was headed. Inter stage left the Tesla S. With one fell swoop there was a car that leapfrogged EV from grocery getter, to world renowned super car. On virtually any type of measure the S was at least competitive with the best that IC could produce. What's more the technology had evolved in a generation, not the one hundred twenty years that it had taken IC to develop.

One benefit of our mild climate and the large numbers of EV in our community, is that Craigslist is loaded with good used Tesla S offerings. With a price tag of $25-40K it makes the car affordable, when compared with all but the cheaper IC grocery getters. Sadly for me I'm afraid that I'm too old and too conservative to make it work. I'm just excited for those who can.

Comment

Yes Milaca, I installed it myself. I did it already from the start when I lived in Holland where it's very common, you never see a classic car (exept Citroen 2cv's) without LPG.
                        There was somethings that had to be new such as all pipes & hoses, so I bought a 2 year old complete system that was taken out from a early 80's Chevy Caprice with 350.

There's one thing about it tho; the systems develope by time so my system is now 12 years old & as I was doing it the system was (as I remember) going in the direction to have pipes going into the intake manifold direct instead of sitting on top of the carb.
                        I have a slight problem with that due to my alu intake being a wee bit to high so I had to open a hole in the hood:

Click image for larger version  Name:	voa 19.JPG Views:	0 Size:	93.2 KB ID:	1898104
                        The "carburetor" for the gas is warmed by the water form the engine, it's up in the rear passanger corner behind the windscreen washer container:
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	voa 18.JPG Views:	0 Size:	93.7 KB ID:	1898105
                        & I picked the biggest tank possible, its a 100 liter tank, I had to bang out the wheelarches a bit cuz it aint allowed to have it touching the car's metal & it looks like this:
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	voa 11.JPG Views:	0 Size:	75.2 KB ID:	1898106
                        Then there's switches for selecting either gas or LPG; one to press that I've put under the dashboard & one on the gas line to cut the gas flow. It's the ugly square one, it has little lights to show circa the content:
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	00072 4.JPG
Views:	609
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1898108

Clean stuff, you'd be amazed...
                        Last edited by Noxnabaker; 06-08-2021, 12:00 AM.
                        This is where that picture-that-refuses-to-get-in-here would be...

Comment

I've never had a problem with electric cars. For some people I suppose they make sense. What I have a problem with is government interference with the process. If the product makes works, it will succeed.
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
                            I'm a huge fan of EV's and just ordered a Tesla model 3 for delivery in July. If I was rich I'd want to order the model S Plaid it just set the world record for production passenger car quarter mile of 9.24 seconds and 0 to 60 1.99. I just spent a half day installing a 240 volt outlet to charger at home.
                            You and me, JDP.

I'm a third-generation Studebaker owner and will have one as long as I can manage three pedals. I've been building engines for sixty years, but our daily driver is a Chevrolet Bolt EV.

Now, I consider ICE cars/trucks to be the same as horses. They're a fun hobby and will probably always be around, but much too expensive, inefficient and messy for every day use.

Back before the ICE, New York City was ankle deep in horse manure and in the summer when it dried, the air was thick with manure dust blowing around. Today, the few horses still in central cities have to be equipped with a manure catcher. ICEs today don't pollute very much and it's technically feasible to require wells, refineries and electrical generating plants to reduce and/or capture a much higher percentage of their CO2 and methane emissions. All it takes is the political will.

Bottom line, those who prefer to drive a petroleum powered ICE will be able to do so for the foreseeable future. European-level taxation at the pump to discourage prolificate use ( 10 MPG mongo quad cab truck guys, they're coming for you!) may be a thing here; how soon is the unknown.

jack vines
                            PackardV8

Comment

Thanks for the pics, Nox. I'm thinking about running some of my older less driven vehicles on LPG. Long storage times would not affect the propane system. I would love to have an electric car, but can't justify the cost for a local driver. The other issue is the high cost of power here in Nevada. It will be interesting to see how the EV pickups work out when they hit the market. Most of our longer trips are in a truck, usually with an RV in tow.

Comment

Working...
                              X