No announcement yet.

Washington, potentially first state to ban new petroleum-fueled cars in 2030

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washington, potentially first state to ban new petroleum-fueled cars in 2030

Does this only apply to cars? Or does it apply to SUVs also? Will sales of old-fashioned pickups/trucks increase beginning in 2030 as a replacement for cars? And how would a state determine how many miles you drive your vehicle? Will it require a functional odometer or will it require an electronic tracking device? If I have a car that can fly, can I then avoid mileage fees? The times are a changin'!

Washington First State To Ban Gas Cars — So Far (jalopnik.com)
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

The key word is “new”. As in, anything new from then on.

How they deal with grandfathered gas engines is hopefully captured somewhere in that article…that I haven’t read yet.

My hometown of Vancouver British Columbia outlawed new gas powered small engines for yard and lawn repair about 15 years ago. Volvo Trucks was one of the first heavy truck manufacturers to declare all-electric by 2030 as well.

Again, this is great if none of us want to drive more than 200 miles; less in winter.

Comment

Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post
      Again, this is great if none of us want to drive more than 200 miles; less in winter.
      The range of current EVs is sufficient for 99.9% of US daily use. Only .1% of trips are greater than 200 miles. With current technology, those would require one or several recharges, but many EV owners have already adapted.

Given the rate of improvement, by 2030, it is anticipated more efficient battery technology and fast charging will have both extended the range and reduced the recharge time.

jack vines, owns three Studebakers, but a Chevrolet Bolt for everyday use.

PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post

3 years ago, the statement would have been "This is great if none of us want to drive more than 60 miles"

10 years from now it will probably be "This is great if none of us want to drive more than 2,000 miles"

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

In sunny climates the Aptera NEVER EVER needs to be plugged in.
          Regardless of how many fences we erect, technology will never be caged.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10,
          '51 Commander Starlight,
          '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
            Lol! They never have to be plugged in because none have ever been produced from this bankrupt company. Since 2005 they have been peddling their fantasies with no return to the investors. They’re a California dream living off of R & D fantasies.
            1963 Studebaker GT Hawk R1 63V-33867
            1964 Studebaker Avanti R1 R-5364
            1970 Avanti II RQA-0385
            1981 Avanti II RQB-3304

Comment

Originally posted by 1inxs View Post
              They’re a California dream living off of R & D fantasies.
              Robert,
              they were struggling and underfunded ten years ago, five years later than your observation; that's not bankrupt.
              I might suggest you do more reading, and deny the future with a little more hope and a little less cynicism.
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10,
              '51 Commander Starlight,
              '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I read about this recently, and it is pretty cool as a concept. I'm not sure I would say "never ever". While it may be true in a select few use cases, I'd have a rough time willfully leaving my car baking in the sun all day every day to save a few bucks worth of electricity; the UV exposure where I live is cruel and unusual punishment to anything that's not a solar panel, and having to use additional energy to cool a car parked in direct sun will nullify some of the benefits. Still, things like this *could* be the difference between making an electric car viable for someone who lives in an apartment with no power in the parking lot, or otherwise doesn't always have access to charging infrastructure.

It's neat that electric cars have made more progress in the last ~15 years than they have in the 100 years before that (like, they're real world, high performing and viable daily transportation with few compromises)... but I'm still have a hard time getting behind the all-or-nothing approach to electrification. It'll be an interesting journey, though
                Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

I am not a big fan of electric cars for two reasons. I don't like the sound and range is an issue for now. However I think they are not a bad idea for running around town.

The biggest problem will be how to generate enough electricity to move a significant amount of the automotive energy usage to electric from petroleum. In California we don't produce enough electricity for our usage right now. We need some nuclear powerplants to support the move to electric cars.
                  David L

Comment

Robert,
                    they were struggling and underfunded ten years ago, five years later than your observation; that's not bankrupt.
                    I might suggest you do more reading, and deny the future with a little more hope and a little less cynicism.
                    I was just using facts about the company. Founded in 2005. Bankrupt in 2011. 2019 the two original founders started the company up again. These are the facts, do a little more reading and you'll be brought up to speed.
                    1970 Avanti II RQA-0385
                    1981 Avanti II RQB-3304

Comment

... do a little more reading and you'll be brought up to speed.
                      With over 10,000 orders for the new models, and deposits placed on same, I will continue to follow their progress.

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10,
                      '51 Commander Starlight,
                      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

With over 10,000 orders for the new models, and deposits placed on same, I will continue to follow their progress.
                        You sure like to buy into that" Pie in the Sky" B.S.

Bill

Comment

Sounds good! Follow their progress and in 5 years let us know why they still haven’t produced any cars. I’m sure there will be many more excuses to come. Combustion engine vehicles account for over 1/7th of the economy. They are proven! The facts tell us that electric power is far less efficient as a power source and time will never change that fact. I’m not trying to burst anyone’s bubble, but electric cars will never amount to anything other than a warm fuzzy idea. I worked for G.M. For over thirty years and last time I checked, they still have not made a profit from their electric cars.
                          1970 Avanti II RQA-0385
                          1981 Avanti II RQB-3304

Comment

Combustion engine vehicles account for over 1/7th of the economy. They are proven! The facts tell us that electric power is far less efficient as a power source and time will never change that fact.
                            I have been unable to find those "facts" you speak of.
                            And history also reminds us internal combustion will never replace the horse.
                            Progress is obviously a terrible, terrible burden.

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10,
                            '51 Commander Starlight,
                            '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by billslark View Post
                              You sure like to buy into that" Pie in the Sky" B.S.

Bill
                              Pies can either be made in your own kitchen or bought in a store. Never have seen any pies in the sky.
                              But I do know there is what's been called a past, and what is currently called the future; and they never resemble each other; at least never have, and probably never will.
                              Simply pragmatic, Bill; simply pragmatic.

Last edited by rockne10; 04-17-2021, 08:32 PM.

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10,
                              '51 Commander Starlight,
                              '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Working...
                              X