No announcement yet.

Tops or Flops cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A handful of 1955 Speedsters were built for car shows and were a hit. So, Studebaker built 2215 (?) of them. I'm not surprised that a few were unsold at the end of the model year. It was an expensive car (for a Studebaker) and a specialty car.

Even though I have two 1964 Avantis and love them, I think that, objectively, the Avanti was a big failure for Studebaker. It looked nothing like the Larks. An Avanti buyer was not a Lark buyer, and vice versa. So, it didn't increase Lark sales. Sales in 1963 went down, perhaps primarily due to increased competition from the big 3 and AMC.

Avantis don't have Flightomatic transmissions, they have the Powershift transmission. It gets to be second nature to start off with the Powershift in 1st, then manually shift to drive. Why Studebaker thought their automatics should start in second I'll never understand. Too much fuddy-duddy economy thinking maybe on the part of top management. The Powershift, at least, should have started in 1st gear (in drive).

I've never floored the throttle in a Powershift-equipped Stude, so don't know whether it's supposed to downshift or not. One doesn't need to do that. A V8 equipped Stude has enough power to pull any hill around here or to pass.

-Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
      I think that, objectively, the Avanti was a big failure for Studebaker. It looked nothing like the Larks.
      It looked like nothing else on the road either. It would have done well had their been stock available at local dealerships. It got rushed into production too soon, too fast which caused tons of supply problems. There actually was a waiting list for them when they were first announced.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

It looked like nothing else on the road either. It would have done well had there been stock available at local dealerships. It got rushed into production too soon, too fast, which caused tons of supply problems. There actually was a waiting list for them when they were first announced.

Craig
        Yep, I agree with all these points. It would be nice to have about twice as many Studebaker Avantis today (if production problems had been ironed out very quickly).
        -Dwight

Comment

I owned a K car Plymouth wagon (used) when my family was small. We packed up the kids and went to Estes Park for the International meet then drove across Wyoming to Salt Lake City then to Clarkdale, AZ then home. Loaded, freeway driving it got 28-32 mpg depending on headwind/ tailwind in Wyoming. Decent little car that saved Mopar as most of the offerings from 70-80 Mopar in my opinion were dismal (Volare anyone). As my family was growing, we traded it in on a new Aerostar. Only good for 57,000 when the A/C went out at the Las Vegas International meet and my "extended warranty" was only good at the dealership I bought it. At 3:00 am in Las Vegas, it was 103 degrees. When the head gaskets blew they were fixed then I got rid of it.
          The advenventure continues: Bought a Buick Roadmaster 92 model in mid summer 91. It was so bad I wanted to get a bumper sticker to put on the car that said: "The parts falling off this car are of the finest quality" In 1996, got a Plymouth Voyager, 2003 Pt Cruiser, and 2012 Dodge Caravan, that my estranged wife has. All good if not dull cars although the PT is one car we agreed on. Probably the only thing we agreed on for 17 years.

Bob Miles

Comment

Working...
          X