• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tops or Flops. Here is my take on 2 brands of both a Top and Flop

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado
    1978 Oldsmobile Diesel

1964 Pontiac GTO
    2001 Pontiac Aztek

Bonus: First to Worst Chevrolet Chevette and Citation. How many do you see being on the highway or collected?

Bob Miles

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
      My folks bought a three-tone (light blue, medium blue, white, with gold insert trim) 1956 Hudson Hornet with the Packard V8 (which got me started on those, but that's another story) The Hudson was the ugliest car ever sold in the US and was thirsty of fuel and tires.

jack vines
      Second ugliest; The 1957 Hudson was even worse. On the other hand, I think the 1955 Hudson wasn't too bad. At least it was better looking than the same-year Nash.
      -Dwight

Comment

One of the better cars I ever owned was a 1970 Chevrolet Camaro, 350" 2-bbl TH350. It had wonderful styling, great build quality, decent power, decent fuel mileage and was a great road car. It's the only car I've ever owned which one could put the windows down and run at any speed without buffeting and noise.

Wanting to post a photo, I did an extensive search and couldn't find a side view of a base model car. All the photos I found were RS or SS or vinyl roofs, stripes, spoilers and every one had some sort of custom wheels. The base model was the cleanest styling and by far the best bargain.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Jack,

I agree the 1970 Chevrolet Camaro was an all around top car. I was dreaming of one but that was as far as it went. I did buy a new car in 1970 and was paying $74.85 a month for 3 years. I was working at 31 Flavors making $1.10 and hour going to school and living at home until my number came It was a plain jane 2 door AMC Hornet with a 3 speed and 199 six. An okay car but interior appointments left something to be desired. People did see it as a nice styled car the first couple of years, but as all the cars from 73 on with their stuck out lip bumpers, the style faded.

Bob Miles

Comment

Since 1957 was kind of a pivot year, the 57 Nash, 57 Lincoln, 57 Plymouth and Dodge with their quasi quad headlights in my opinion missed the mark. They sold many of those cars with the exception of the Nash and maybe Lincoln.

Since the Vega/Astre has not been mentioned, Yechhhhhhhh.

Bob Miles

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
              Tops or Flops. Here is my take on 2 brands of both a Top and Flop

1966 Oldsmobile Toronado
              1978 Oldsmobile Diesel

1964 Pontiac GTO
              2001 Pontiac Aztek

Bonus: First to Worst Chevrolet Chevette and Citation. How many do you see being on the highway or collected?

Bob Miles
              Coming the opposite direction yesterday was a rust free '76 Chevette in burnt orange (of course it was).
              I kept one eye on the side mirror to see when it stopped or something fell off.
              Last month we saw a yellow Luv pickup about the same vintage - that I liked.
              Andy
              62 GT

Comment

1972 & 1974 stripper Vega's (I was in college & then 1 st entry level college job) had 90,000 on the 72 & over 100,000 on the 74......just beat the crap out of both of them (both were the 75 hp 1 bbl carb engines with 3 speed manual & 2.50:1 diff's). The ONLY modifications I did to both the cars was to through away the dog-dish hub caps......made them look like European rally cars with silver slotted rims !

Used Kendall GT-1 green racing oil, changed every 1000 miles. As has been stated on this forum before "your results may vary".

When I look at my new car price (I think the 72 was $ around 1950 and the 74 was 2270, both were notch backs......I liked them better than the more expensive hatchbacks) and the service miles driven including normal maintenance items, they were the best bang for the buck I have ever had.

I never had any problems BUT I drove both of them like I stole them, I could get an indicated 80 mph in second gear.....I think 85 was tops in 3 rd !! I suspect the speedo was even MORE optimistic than the Studebaker speedo's .

How sad is it to be looking up the rectum of your 8 th decade and admit your best new cars were Vega's

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                  One of the better cars I ever owned was a 1970 Chevrolet Camaro, 350" 2-bbl TH350. It had wonderful styling, great build quality, decent power, decent fuel mileage and was a great road car. It's the only car I've ever owned which one could put the windows down and run at any speed without buffeting and noise.

Wanting to post a photo, I did an extensive search and couldn't find a side view of a base model car. All the photos I found were RS or SS or vinyl roofs, stripes, spoilers and every one had some sort of custom wheels. The base model was the cleanest styling and by far the best bargain.

jack vines
                  Jack-
                  Not sure this will satisfy your desire for a base model 70 Camaro, but it's the best I can do. I've owned this 70 Camaro SS 350 since January 1971, and agree it's a great road car. The 4-speed and a/c helps, too. The only visible differences between the SS 350 and the base model are the grille, rocker panels, rally wheels, Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-08-05 002 2018-08-05 004.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	1889863 and some emblems. Sorry it's missing a few trim pieces, but I'm stripping it down for paint.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

I'm trying to think of what an equivalent buy today would be. There are few two-doors. Today's Camaro and Challenger are unquestionably better all-around cars, but I won't give them better looking.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Jack,

I agree with the choice of today's Camaro and Challenger. Classic styling doesn't go stayle. I do think that if a new design is being considered-this has to be among the best.
                      https://www.jaguarusa.com/all-models/f-type/index.html

Comment

Unfortunately, the worst car for me was 1960 Lark. 4 door, flat six, 3 on the tree. Every time I went around corner, the door would open. Always needed repairs. The next worst were 59 MGA and 75 Spitfire. The MG needed work every weekend so I could get to work during the week. Had to rewire as the cloth covered wiring burnt up. The Spitfire needed a new engine in less than a year. Wiring burnt up in the middle of the Nevada desert at night on the way to Las Vegas. Had that car for over 10 years. Only had 40,000 miles on it as everytime it broke, I would let it sit until I got around to fixing it. Both were a lot of fun to drive when working.

The best for me was 73 Toyota Landcruiser. Had it for 6 years and over 150,000 miles. The only things I had to do was routine maintenance and replace muffler.
                        78 Avanti RQB 2792
                        64 Avanti R1 R5408
                        63 Avanti R1 R4551
                        63 Avanti R1 R2281
                        62 GT Hawk V15949
                        56 GH 6032504
                        56 GH 6032588
                        55 Speedster 7160047
                        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

My wife and I have owned many cars/trucks over the years. The worst I think was a Fiat that had lots of little gremlins that when added up were a real pain. The worst, or maybe the most unique, thing is when the car just up and stopped running amid a heavily traffic street at night. The car just quit running. For some reason I knew immediately that it was a wire to the fuel pump rubbed to the point that the bare wire rubbed through the paint in the floor of the car causing a short and thus the pump wasn't pumping. The best cars we owned were a number of VW's, the Saab 96 and the two Subarus we owned. All of these cars were reliable, got great gas mileage and were fun to drive.
                          Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I guess that I've been lucky with my cars. I've never bought a new one, and I pay attention to what I buy. As long as I know that a car has an issue I factor that into what I do moving forward. With a collector car I expect to have to do some work on all of them, so I just factor that in. I'm glad that all 1960 Larks are not as poster #26 describes. I found just the opposite to be true, my 1960 V8 wagon has proven to be among my most reliable tour cars. My Jaguars on the other hand have provided challenges. When they are right there is nothing like them, when they are not it can be difficult. On measure the good outweighs the bad.

Comment

Discussions on reliability are akin to discussions of styling. The foibles one will tolerate cheerfully, another will find deal breakers.

A family member has always owned Toyotas, "Because they're the most reliable."

I tell him, "That's like marrying an ugly woman because she's less likely to run around on you."

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Worst cars I've owned are a BaderMeinhofWagen & a Mazda, best cars are a -62 NewPort, a -50 Windsor & -66 Amazon = "Volvo 122" to you guys. (well I never had a bad Amazon & I've owned 18)
                                Cars I never owned because I saw others having problems with them are Opels & japanese cars exept Subaru, thou I never owned a Subaru but my wife had 2 before & has 2 now.
                                Opinion about cars I haven't owned is that if it's from 1968 or younger I'm not interested but never the less I've had my share of failures & owned many younger cars & aside from age; 8 Mercedes'es for example before I learned the lession that if they're not new they're trouble & expensive trouble to boot...

sigpic

Josephine
                                Champion V8
                                4d sedan

Comment

Working...
                                X