Update: Richard Lentinello's new magazine: Crankshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lark Hunter View Post

I'm totally on board with that. I probably straddle the line between younger and 'conventionally aged'? car enthusiast, so I honestly appreciate stuff like the '79 Buick. At one point, much of my interest was directed toward 1977-up GM B-bodies... yes. I just admitted to that . As I've aged, my tastes have matured as well.
    Thanks. That 1979 Electra Limited Coupe is drop-dead gorgeous; double soft yellow exterior with tan velour interior. With a magnifying glass, you can just barely read the odometer in an instrument cluster photo: 10379, so it has rolled over 10,000 miles. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      That 1979 Electra Limited Coupe is drop-dead gorgeous; double soft yellow exterior with tan velour interior.
      Isn't your '72 Buick convertible the same color combination, except with tan vinyl interior?

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

Isn't your '72 Buick convertible the same color combination, except with tan vinyl interior?

Craig
        "Kind of," Craig.

The color is called Sandalwood and is not what you would call yellow, no matter how soft, as is the '79 Electra.

The Electra's interior is lighter, too, although they would both be called tan.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1822.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1888640

BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I will take your year of Buick over a '79 any day; considering the fact they dropped from six, to only three body styles by 1979. Of the most desirable body styles, the convertibles, and the true 2 & 4 door hardtops were NLA the year that Electra was built. And even the Estate Wagon was at its height of blandness in the late '70's, with its most interesting feature, the Glide-Away tailgate gone. As a side note, all the full-size GM wagons used the same body shell from 1977, the only difference being the taillight design, and arrangement of trim on the tailgate between divisions, which was another step towards GM brand dilution, where one had to be fairly close to tell them apart from the rear.

Craig

Comment

I let my subscription to HCC lapse a year ago. I still thought it was a very good magazine and I found the foreign cars very interesting being that I was very unfamiliar with them. However, I was devoting less and less time to reading magazines but instead, spending more time reading things on the internet. I never throw magazines away and rather than continue to find places to stash the old copies, I felt it best to reduce my magazine subscriptions. That leaves me with just Turning Wheels and the Minneapolis-Moline club magazine (Prairie Gold Rush). I may even quit the MM club magazine soon, but I will never quit Turning Wheels.
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Bob Palma,

I just took the plunge for one year subscription. I look at things perhaps in a different way. I could go to a nice restaurant for a meal and spend $60.00 and be satisfied for 8 hours. I look at being satisfied for a year at least 4 times and go back and enjoy the articles over and over again for the same $60.00.

Thanks for the link and information. I look forward to this periodical and hope other will support. This, other than Turning Wheels is the only publication I decided to subscribe.

Bob Miles

Comment

[QUOTE=Bob Andrews;n1888566]One point of correction, Bob- I went to order on the link and the price for a year says $56.95, not $59.95 as per your original post.

Correction Bob on the correction. Had you investigated what the subscription cost for 4 issue/one year it is posted that shipping is $3.00 dollars for the one year. $56.95 plus $3.00 is $59.95. Sometimes it is a good idea to check things out before hitting the send button.

Bob Miles

Comment

[QUOTE=6hk71400;n1888656]
                  Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                  One point of correction, Bob- I went to order on the link and the price for a year says $56.95, not $59.95 as per your original post.

Correction Bob on the correction. Had you investigated what the subscription cost for 4 issue/one year it is posted that shipping is $3.00 dollars for the one year. $56.95 plus $3.00 is $59.95. Sometimes it is a good idea to check things out before hitting the send button.

Bob Miles
                  i went by this, where all it says is- read it carefully for yourself.

Sometimes it is a good idea to check things out before hitting the ‘post’ button.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F15D079A-542E-4B8E-8021-11468AF253A4.jpeg
Views:	167
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1888686
                  Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                  Romans 15:13
                  Deuteronomy 31:6
                  Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                    i went by this, where all it says is- read it carefully for yourself.

Sometimes it is a good idea to check things out before hitting the ‘post’ button.
                    You didn't go far enough, young fella. https://secure.squarespace.com/check...C_243lClSbo6oS

Shipping is calculated a the very end of the ordering process.

Craig

Comment

Incidentally, to confirm: I've put my money where my mouth is: My check for $59.95 to subscribe was in the mail within 4 hours of when I received Issue #1! BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Incidentally, to confirm: I've put my money where my mouth is: My check for $59.95 to subscribe was in the mail within 4 hours of when I received Issue #1! BP
                        Bob,

Do you know as to when the issues will be issued and if they will be Volume one, issue one?

Incidentally, when I worked in the bulk mail section at our local USPS plant, charge for shipping was based on number of advertisement and percentage of the content. Back before Newspapers lost volume and circulation, each issue that was delivered out of town had the percentage of ads, legal ads, and news. More often than not, the "news" part of the paper was 37-41 percent, legal was 3 percent and ads were 56-60 percent. I always called them after that ads paper. Based on the shipping charge of 75 cents Crankshaft indeed has very very little advertisement. That may change in the future but I hope not.

Just out of curiosity I wonder what Turning Wheels percent of advertising is.

Bob Miles

Comment

Bob Miles.

If you include the classified ads in the back of the magazine about 30-35%
                          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post

Bob,

Do you know as to when the issues will be issued and if they will be Volume one, issue one?

Incidentally, when I worked in the bulk mail section at our local USPS plant, charge for shipping was based on number of advertisement and percentage of the content. Back before Newspapers lost volume and circulation, each issue that was delivered out of town had the percentage of ads, legal ads, and news. More often than not, the "news" part of the paper was 37-41 percent, legal was 3 percent and ads were 56-60 percent. I always called them after that ads paper. Based on the shipping charge of 75 cents Crankshaft indeed has very very little advertisement. That may change in the future but I hope not.

Just out of curiosity I wonder what Turning Wheels percent of advertising is.

Bob Miles
                            Interesting, Bob; thanks for that insight. As I mentioned, for all practical purposes, there is no advertising in Issue #1. I don't know when he plans to mail Issue #2, although he said it's pretty much done and he is working on #3.

I see no reference to "Volume 1, #1" on the first issue of Crankshaft. All references are simply to "#1," so perhaps Richard is simply planning to number the issues consecutively from #1, with no reference to Volume or Calendar Year. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Bob and Don,

Thanks for the information. Turning Wheels has a low percentage of advertisement if you do include classified. The content is always outstanding. I just got notification that my issue #1 is being shipped for Crankshaft. I will update when it gets to my home.

Bob Miles

Comment

Thanks. That 1979 Electra Limited Coupe is drop-dead gorgeous; double soft yellow exterior with tan velour interior. With a magnifying glass, you can just barely read the odometer in an instrument cluster photo: 10379, so it has rolled over 10,000 miles. BP
                                Am looking forward to reading about this car . Toward the end of my senior year in high school and beyond, I owned a highly optioned 1978 LeSabre Custom 4 dr; which on the face of it, doesn't sound like much. It was very sharp looking, though! Two tone dark metallic red with gold pinstripe, 15x7 Buick Rallye Wheels, sport mirrors, dark tinted windows, and no vinyl top. It had a med-dark red interior, and *almost* every option in the book. Was powered by a 403 Olds; top engine option that year... complete with "fuel economy" indicator lights on the face of the gas gauge- one lit up green to let you know you were getting poor gas mileage, and another illuminated amber when it was worse. I really loved that car, and it was a comfortable place to be... I even spread out and did homework assignments in the Buick on occasion, as it was a much more relaxed place to be than trying to stay out of the path of a frequently raging step mother at home Had a good stereo, map and reading lights everywhere, and a large analog clock on the dash to keep me from getting reamed for arriving home late.
                                Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Working...
                                X