No announcement yet.

Update: Richard Lentinello's new magazine: Crankshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think much of the Crankshaft name. Is there supposed to be some sort of double meaning to it?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
      I don't think much of the Crankshaft name. Is there supposed to be some sort of double meaning to it?
      Not necessarily a double meaning or anything, Gary; pretty straightforward.

Electric cars aside for the moment, Richard named it that because "...every car has a crankshaft." He wanted it to stand out against all the other magazines that are some variation of "Collectible" or "Antique" or "Classic" or what-have-you. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Update: To satisfy my curiosity, I just put a micrometer to the covers of the comparatively "stiff" Turning Wheels and Crankshaft publications. Each measure .009" thick.

By contrast, the covers of the current Hemmings Classic Car measure .005" thick. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by ronstrasser View Post
          Hemmings Classic Car; it has become a shadow of its past. I am not interested in the cars of the late 70's and newer and Many contributors were missing ; in the latest issue. In my opinion the magazine has been going down hill for over a year. I ordered a copy of the new magazine. I have no problem with advertisers ,it keeps the reader up to date as to what is available and it helps keep the cost down
          The ONLY complaint I do have about Crankshaft magazine is there was too much emphasis on 'Malaise Era Cars' in that first issue. They are definitely NOT 'Fascinating Automobiles That Blow my Mind' as per the subtitle.

I would have preferred to have read an article on Australian market cars from that same timeframe, which still had great performance, and no ugly 5-mph bumpers to ruin their appearance.

Craig

Comment

Both my Dad and I have been debating what may have happened with Lentinello at Hemmings, but this does clarify it a bit. I have liked HCC in the past, and while there's still some good stuff, I'm coming away with the feeling that it may be entering a state of terminal decline, which there have been signs of for awhile now. Considering that the Sports and Exotic was merged into Classic Car a number of years ago, but the page count is still dwindling... well... yeah. Though my main interest is North American cars, I do like to read up on what was happening in other countries as well. I am also a fan of many 1970's and 80's cars, as those were the "old cars" when I was growing up. I know de-smogged CAFE specials with ha-ha horsepower can be pretty campy with their "performance improving" decals, but they may well have contributed to my joining the Studebaker ranks... a kid a grade or two older than me in high school drove an old 1962 Lark with a 289 auto, and it was famous for laying waste to the smogger Firebirds, Camaros, and Mustangs some of the rest of us had access to.

The list of cars on this inaugural issue of Crankshaft looks to contain a lot that will interest me!
            Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

The ONLY complaint I do have about Crankshaft magazine is there was too much emphasis on 'Malaise Era Cars' in that first issue. They are definitely NOT 'Fascinating Automobiles That Blow my Mind' as per the subtitle. Craig
              Gosh, Craig; I don't know how you could complain about excess coverage of Malaise-era cars.

To wit: Milton Stern's articles on the incredibly-nice, original 8,500-mile 1979 Buick Electra Limited and Malaise-era styling total 12 pages.

By contrast, the articles on the 1957 Plymouth Belvedere convertible, 1967 Thunderbird, and original-owner 1971 Malibu SS total 24 pages, twice as many...and that's to say nothing of additional articles on prewar cars!

There are many younger people coming into the hobby who can only afford and/or relate to malaise-era cars, so I endorse their inclusion if the hobby is to remain viable. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

One point of correction, Bob- I went to order on the link and the price for a year says $56.95, not $59.95 as per your original post.

How bold to start a new magazine in a time when magazines as a concept are continually fading. Even bolder, going to the length of high-dollar paper stock for a disposable item. And on top of that, little to no advertising, adding further expense onto the backs of subscribers. Pretty gutsy approach IMO.

A few decades ago, the top weekly paper in oval track racing was Gater Racing News. For decades they were the main source- thousands of subscribers, plus every race track had them for sale on location. Everybody had to have one.

Two local friends had teamed up to start the Gater, and grew it into a powerhouse. After 25 years, one of the owners had a dream of starting a magazine based on the same subject. The other did not agree. Dave sold his share to his partner, and struck out to start his magazine.

For the first year, Dave had many subscribers, mostly based on his reputation. It turned out to be a wonderful magazine, similar to what you described here. Quality magazine with quality content. But after one year it turned out that for most people the Gater was enough, they didn’t want a magazine as well. Dave tried everything in the world to keep it going. At the end he was offering discounted subscription extensions to try to raise cash. When he was finally forced to throw in the towel, it took everything out of him. He passed away not long after that, I have always felt it was from the failure of the magazine. Here’s hoping Richard’s magazine has a better fate.

I ordered the introductory issue of Crankshaft, it will be interesting to see if it captures my attention. At this point I can’t see subscribing, for that kind of money. But then, are usually don’t sit still long enough to read a magazine these days. I have the latest turning wheels, and thus far I unwrapped it and gave it a quick flip and that’s it. But, we will see.
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

In order to get a copy of the first issue of CRANKSHAFT can we find it on magazine section of local book stores? If not how do we get one? It sounds like a great magazine.....
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                    In order to get a copy of the first issue of CRANKSHAFT can we find it on magazine section of local book stores? If not how do we get one? It sounds like a great magazine.....
                    As Bob said in his original post, they will be available through subscription only. He also posted the link where you can order it.
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post

As Bob said in his original post, they will be available through subscription only. He also posted the link where you can order it.
                      Joe and Bob: If you click on the link I provided and then click on ORDER in the upper right corner, you'll have a choice of subscribing for $59.95 postpaid OR buying a single copy of Issue #1 for $12.95, plus postage. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        Gosh, Craig; I don't know how you could complain about excess coverage of Malaise-era cars.

Milton Stern's articles on the incredibly-nice, original 8,500-mile 1979 Buick Electra Limited and Malaise-era styling total 12 pages.

By contrast, the articles on the 1957 Plymouth Belvedere convertible, 1967 Thunderbird, and original-owner 1971 Malibu SS total 24 pages, twice as many...and that's to say nothing of additional articles on prewar cars!

There are many younger people coming into the hobby who can only afford and/or relate to malaise-era cars, so I endorse their inclusion if the hobby is to remain viable.
                        Collectible Automobile, (of which many here are comparing Crankshaft to) devotes only two pages per issue, called "Cheap Wheels", which is directed at those getting into the hobby, and many have been Malaise cars.

There has also been plenty of discussion of Crankshaft here as well:
                        https://forums.aaca.org/topic/358652...ne-is-now-out/

Craig

Comment

Thanks for the input, Bob P. "Crankshaft" is getting some good reviews from people on the AACA forum. I'll be giving it a look, but as for subscribing we'll have to see.

Since the changeover I've seen some substantive drop off at "HCC." Today, there isn't much out there, from which to choose. However, when I pick up a magazine it's not just for entertainment, I want to be educated, as well. In order to do this I want my reading to take me to a time and place where I would not ordinarily be drawn. Before the Changeover at "HCC" it really checked off the boxes for me. Maybe not as good today, but I will certainly maintain my subscription.

I appreciate Bob P's highlighting original cars. Regardless or era of manufacture or model, a story of survivor cars intrigues me. I do like reading about foreign cars, as well. A car is still a car wherever it is designed and produced. The story of the automobile shouldn't be just an American Story. I feel sorry for people who are unwilling to step out of their comfort zone.

Comment

The biggest gripe I had was that they insisted high-performance Studebakers began with the 1956 Hawk series. I felt the 1955 Speedster deserved that role; first year of the enlarged V-8, first year 4-bbl carb and dual exhausts, etc...and standard equipment on that special car.

But they said "no" and deleted all the Speedster material I submitted as the starting point for high-performance Studebakering. My opinion was, "Why pay someone to write an article if you already know what you want it to say? Just do it yourself!
                            I agree with that, which is why I insisted that Ed George have at least one Speedster present at MCACN in 2017.

I am surprised they didn't allow you to state that fact in at least ONE sentence, about the four barrel, dual exhausts, tach as standard, etc., and then make reference to RQ's 'Speedsters only' article in the October, 1998 issue. It would have possibly resulted in some sales of back-issues that would be otherwise languishing on the shelf.

Craig

Comment

There are many younger people coming into the hobby who can only afford and/or relate to malaise-era cars, so I endorse their inclusion if the hobby is to remain viable. BP
                              I'm totally on board with that. I probably straddle the line between younger and 'conventionally aged'? car enthusiast, so I honestly appreciate stuff like the '79 Buick. At one point, much of my interest was directed toward 1977-up GM B-bodies... yes. I just admitted to that . As I've aged, my tastes have matured as well.
                              Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

I am surprised they didn't allow you to state that fact in at least ONE sentence, about the four barrel, dual exhausts, tach as standard, etc.... Craig
                                Nope, Craig; not a peep.

If you compared the first 20% of that High-Performance Studebakers article as I submitted it with what they printed, you'd see no resemblance at all. They didn't edit the first 20%; they simply threw it out (seriously) and wrote what they wanted the article to say, which was nothing about Speedsters; nothing at all, which leaves the impression that the author (me) ignored Speedsters.

Further, they had only one photograph of a 1957/1958 Golden Hawk and no 1957/1958 Golden Hawk engine room photographs to showcase the 1957/1958 supercharger installation. But they found it appropriate to have EIGHT Avanti photographs! Talk about imbalance...

If that didn't showcase EA (Editorial Arrogance), I don't know what would. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Working...
                                X