Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As seen in today’s paper...as EV cars increase...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J_Cole
    replied
    Is voltswagen the peoples volt? Or the volt car? Hmmm. One of the funniest/dumbest jokes ever attempted.

I live in an apartment that doesn’t have an electric car charger even though it was just built a couple years ago. One a couple blocks down does though. I think apartments and city centers in general may prove to be the hardest obstacle for electric cars, where do we charge them?

however, I can see myself getting the new GMC Hummer truck and the SUV was also just announced that looks really nice. It’s one of the first electric cars that’s spoken to me. I’ve driven a Tesla 3 and it was nice, not the highest HP model but still fast enough. It wasn’t fun and the fit/finish of Tesla doesn’t impress me. But as a daily? It would be about perfect. It just does the car thing so well. It goes and stops and is quiet and largely free of road noise. Electric cars make a good case for themselves

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    Watt's new for 2022? Ohms my gosh, it's the Voltswagen Lightning Bug!

Happy Ampril Fools Day!

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Volkswagen AG's U.S. unit apologized on Wednesday after a false statement it issued about a name change was widely slammed on social media."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/volks...152816914.html
    Personally...I think it is a bit of obvious opportunistic genius if they have taken the name and copyrighted it! Compared to some of the absolutely absurdly insane insurance commercials we see these days..."Voltswagen" makes a lot of sense in advertising. It actually makes sense in relation to market trending, but phonetically falls from the lips with familiar association. If they produce a product that lives up to the tradition they will be fine.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post

Nope. It’s legit. ...
    "WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Volkswagen AG's U.S. unit apologized on Wednesday after a false statement it issued about a name change was widely slammed on social media."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/volks...152816914.html

Leave a comment:

• NCDave51
    replied
    Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    Was a poorly crafted early April Fool's Day joke.
    Nope. It’s legit. And perfectly timed for the arrival of the ID4....see search pic.

We are a VW family and have been awaiting this one for a while. I’m repainting the rim-edges of my Lark wheels; while letting them dry after scrubbing yesterday in the background happen to be two 2008 VW‘s my kids drive....

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Was a poorly crafted early April Fool's Day joke.

Leave a comment:

• Lark Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post
    Just leaked today: In the United States and Canada VW has just announced that they will be renaming themselves to VOLTSWAGEN.
    I read that too. It smacks of overreaching PR stunt, and I can't imagine them actually following through with this (though I don't have a working crystal ball at the moment). Modern EV's have a lot going for them, and I think they'll be finding homes in ever more driveways going forward, even if the manufacturers leave the cringe marketing in the closet.

Leave a comment:

• NCDave51
    replied
    Just leaked today: In the United States and Canada VW has just announced that they will be renaming themselves to VOLTSWAGEN.

In a bizarre marketing concept, the manufacturer wishes to show where their future is going. Strangely, the rest of the world they will remain as Volkswagen and even here we will use the familiar VW logo. Strange times indeed.

Leave a comment:

• Dwight FitzSimons
    replied
    My neighbor is a well-off MD. He has had a succession of nice cars, including a Ferrari. Every year or two, a new car. Several years ago he bought a Tesla Model S (the only model available then). He still has it, and, AFAIK, only the Tesla. That says something about those cars.
    -Dwight

Leave a comment:

• Andy R.
    replied
    Our next vehicle in 2022 will be an EV...perfect compliment to our TDI wagon for long road trips.
    We test drove a Bolt the first weekend they launched, car seats strapped in. The kids were greatly amused by the torque!

When our oldest turns 15, we'll be in the market for a hooptie 5-speed compact or small truck so they're sure to learn stick.
    My wife learned with all 40hp of a '65 Beetle on San Francisco hills and can drive anything with 4 wheels better than me.

Leave a comment:

• Hallabutt
    replied
    As I mentioned in another forum, I had always considered EV a reasonable alternative to IC, as a local grocery getter. Then the Tesla Model S, came out. Here was a car capable of 0-60 acceleration in under four seconds and having a range of over four hundred miles. My head was spinning, I asked myself what had just happened. Here was a true super car, capable of holding it's own with some of the most exotic cars in the world. What was just as awing to me was that this had been achieved in only a few decades of focus on the technology. In a 120 years of unabated technology focus on IC, the best that we seem to be able to have achieved is an $85K pickup which gets very little better mileage the vehicles of a century ago. Count me in as a convert, and not just because of an international green movement either.

Leave a comment:

• Lark Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by Milaca View Post

After doing some research, I am only partially correct, as black ice can be created by circumstances other than car exhaust.

Per Wikipedia:
    "At low temperatures (below −18 °C [0 °F]), black ice can form on roadways when the moisture from automobile exhaust condenses on the road surface."
    Yes. I have actually experienced this back in Montana. It wasn't often that this phenomenon was the sole source of road-slick, but I do remember a couple of times that it was... It happened during or shortly after a very cold spell, and roads were completely dry. Was in a heavily traveled area with a lot of traffic lights and 25mph speed limit, and the concrete was cold enough that any drips out of a tailpipe would instantly freeze, and cars with downward facing exhaust tips would sit a traffic lights fogging the road surface. The intersections seemed to get slippery first, then two strips of each lane iced up, roughly in the position of a left or right exit exhaust... which generally lines up with where a vehicle's tires travel. Under normal winter conditions, this is probably only a minor contributor to icy roads.

Leave a comment:

• Commander Eddie
    replied
    So, whatever happened to the idea of inductive charging to keep vehicles charged as they travel down the road? When we lived in Santa Barbara we heard of a circle track nearby, built and operated by USB (University of Santa Barbara), that had a pair of electric wires buried in the pavement. A continuous charge was run through them which created a field above the pavement that was picked up by a charging unit in a vehicle that kept the batteries charged while the vehicle ran around the track. They were running a city bus equipped with an electric motor and set of batteries. They ran that bus around that track for weeks on end without stopping to recharge the traditional way.
    Just like overhead catenaries for the railroad and trollies in many cities years ago, this could be done relatively inexpensively on main highways and primary streets. Just cut a slot in the pavement, drop in the wires, seal the slot and hook the the power. Or am I just dreaming?

Leave a comment:

• NCDave51
    replied
    All good points. I’d love an EV if I didn’t have to drive 350 miles to my customer in Rincon, GA, or the one in Calhoun, TN at roughly the same distance. As range gets better, I’ll get closer to buying one.

And we’re already seeing signs of mining here in the USA for the right metals needed for batteries, discussed on the Forum before. We just don’t have nearly the metals available here to support a North American EV expansion until we can be sure that cell production AND cell recycling can be seamless.

I’m reminded of the hydrogen-cell excitement we had in BC-WA-OR-CA about 15-20 years ago. That fizzled when the reality of H2 generation got a reality check.
    Last edited by NCDave51; 03-29-2021, 01:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Originally posted by stall View Post
    I think EVs are coming but much slower than we are being told.
    Get back to us in five years and see if you still feel that way. The tipping point has been reached.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

Working...
X