Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The U.S. had a plan in the '60s to nuclear blast an alternative Suez Canal route through Israel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The U.S. had a plan in the '60s to nuclear blast an alternative Suez Canal route through Israel

520 nuclear bombs to create a new canal through Israel.... wow!
    The US had a plan in the 1960s to blast an alternative Suez Canal through Israel using 520 nuclear bombs (yahoo.com)

sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Yep. In the early days of nuclear energy, they were looking for all sorts of things it could be used for besides military. I think it was to demonstrate that the atom could be used for things other than leveling cities; partially driven by a quest for knowledge, and likely a good pinch of novelty value added to the mix. All of this was grouped under the name Project Plowshare.

Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

I remember talk abut using nukes to make a new Panama Canal...whether serious plans or simply speculation I don't remember. It shows how little we understood the ramifications of such "tools".

Notice how it always seemed to be on non-US territory and not within our nation's borders?
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
        Notice how it always seemed to be on non-US territory and not within our nation's borders?
        Where within our nation's borders would you propose a canal from the Atlantic to the Pacific?

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10,
        '51 Commander Starlight,
        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

It seemed like a good idea at the time.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

rockne10, You need to think OUT of the box.....how about straight down through the earth from the US to Australia ? Gravity could work 1/2 the travel distance,then it would be up hill for the other part of the trip but we could work that out.

Just kidding in case folks haven't figured it out. But I sure would like to be on scene and help out with Ever Green container ship stuck in the canal. The Navy heavy rescue four vessels that were built in Sturgeon Bay WI have my Caterpillar propulsion / aux. engine systems in them. you can look the ships up on the net as A.R.S. 50 through 53 to see the details on them, they are neat but I am bias! Wonder what a four ship hook to pull would look like . I know its not an option but it is fun to be out-of-the -box.

Comment

Originally posted by firestoper 25 View Post
              .....how about straight down through the earth from the US to Australia ? Gravity could work 1/2 the travel distance,then it would be up hill for the other part of the trip but we could work that out.
              John ! Shame on you !
              You just made me bust a gut and spew my beverage on the keyboard.

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10,
              '51 Commander Starlight,
              '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
              '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Glad to help We all need a good chuckle now & then.....I have the most fun when I can make fun of myself !

In high school I won two MAJOR awards, the first was for being the 'most courteous' and the second having the 'dirtiest mind' .

So being small in stature ( think World War II size ) I must have learned to tweak bigger folks with a smile and run fast to get away with it

Comment

Well they could sure use another route right now. What a mess the Suez Canal is and it doesn't look like it's going to be fixed in the very near future.
                  If they had proceeded with the nuclear canal, how would the workers have been protected from the radiation?

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                    If they had proceeded with the nuclear canal, how would the workers have been protected from the radiation?
                    Duck and cover!

I'll preface this by saying I'm not really qualified in this area, but did read a lot about the nuclear testing going on in this era many years ago, mainly to satisfy my own curiosity. I was most interested in the tests that actually took place, and especially the ones that didn't go as planned and/or made a big mess... so I never delved into the details of this proposal. Seems like many of the tests had workers positioned some miles away before blasting, and they used topography and prevailing wind direction to shield workers. Would guess that a larger number of lower yield charges would have been employed, and they may have tried to place them near or below grade in an attempt to minimize the amount of fallout. Depending on levels and type of radiation, they may have set time limits on how long workers could spend in a hot zone to cap the accumulated radiation dose each person was .

Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Working...
                    X