Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64studeavanti
    replied
    We currently own a hybrid and are really pleased with it. We generally get 50+ mpg for mixed driving and around 45mpg for the longer trips. Given that we split our time between 2 sparsely populated areas, Wimauma FL and Crossville TN, a full EV does not seem practical at this time due to the lack of charging facilities. However, a plug-in HEV is likely our next purchase. That way we would use little or no gasoline for the shorter trips and still get reasonable mpg for the longer.

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    Yes, I was generalizing about the tech itself, not specific examples of it.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
    That's a big chunk to chew. But I've been involved in new technology for a long time, and one thing I know is that disruptive technology is always 1) more costly and 2) less efficient when it first debuts, but over time things even out as the tech matures.
    One may only get their money's worth out if it provided it's 'backwards compatible' and can be progressively upgraded as each new version comes along. Otherwise, the school jurisdiction will be stuck with a zero-value dead horse of an old school bus good only for a portable classroom.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
    Average price for a full size electric school bus is around $400K.
    Whoof! That's a big chunk to chew. But I've been involved in new technology for a long time, and one thing I know is that disruptive technology is always 1) more costly and 2) less efficient when it first debuts, but over time things even out as the tech matures.

Leave a comment:

• Lark Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by Studebaker Omaha View Post
    I wonder how long it will be before gas powered cars are made illegal, and cars like Studebakers have to be retrofitted for electric use, or forfeited to the government for mandatory recycling.
    I'm honestly betting that this day will never come to pass... at least not in any of our lifetimes. I know there are looming mandates in certain places, but the reality is that batteries have only gained the energy density to even make long distance travel a reality in the past 15 years or so. And while BEV's are often able to fit in the usage patterns of more and more people, their price remains high enough that they just don't add up when you break it down in overall cost of ownership. I think the biggest shoo in for the future of ICE engines is in long distance transport of goods and people... railroads, ships, airplanes, and over the road trucks are far, far away from a reality (though the latter has a fighting chance if every trip is on the level with a prevailing downhill grade). I bet we will continue to see electrics making inroads, but it won't be a binary thing, where internal combustion just drops dead.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
    I'd love to have an electric car for local trips, close to home, but the fuel savings would never begin to pay for the cost of the EV.
    We had the same conundrum. We knew an EV was perfect for our daily local use, but we had a paid-for car in the garage. Our annual fuel cost savings would never show a net profit. However If one requires an actual bottom line savings, there's seldom a cost justification for any new vehicle purchase. It's usually more cost effective to continue repairing the existing one.

Finally, we just said we want an EV and in 2017 bought the first Bolt which came to Spokane and have been smiling every time we use it.

FWIW, currently there are really great deals on the Bolt at your local Chevy dealer. Even the curmudgeons here owe it to themselves to take a test drive.

jack vines, who will keep his three Studebakers just because and the old Ford F250 diesel for the dirty work.

Leave a comment:

• t walgamuth
    replied
    Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
    Most of our trips away from home are from 300 to 600 miles, with a diesel one ton pulling a 28' Airstream. There really is no electric replacement for that purpose at this time. I'd love to have an electric car for local trips, close to home, but the fuel savings would never begin to pay for the cost of the EV.
    They should build trailers with regen braking. Tow vehicles could be a lot smaller.

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    I have seen quite a few electric UPS package cars in US urban areas. No big deal.

Leave a comment:

• tsenecal
    replied
    Most of our trips away from home are from 300 to 600 miles, with a diesel one ton pulling a 28' Airstream. There really is no electric replacement for that purpose at this time. I'd love to have an electric car for local trips, close to home, but the fuel savings would never begin to pay for the cost of the EV.

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
    I hate to beat a dead horse, but the Post Office just signed a 10 year multi billion dollar contract for gas powered vehicles.

https://about.usps.com/newsroom/nati...icle-fleet.htm

They don't understand the present....let alone the future.
    This contract may be modified if some members of congress have their way:
    USPS Won't Get Many EVs in New Postal Truck Fleet; Politicians Mad (caranddriver.com)

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    I hate to beat a dead horse, but the Post Office just signed a 10 year multi billion dollar contract for gas powered vehicles.

https://about.usps.com/newsroom/nati...icle-fleet.htm

They don't understand the present....let alone the future.

Leave a comment:

• 1inxs
    replied
    The day that I’ll believe electric powered vehicles are the future is when a fully loaded 767 flys coast to coast using battery power!

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    FWIW, because our daily driver is an electric Chevrolet Bolt, I'm on those fora. The number one complaint/wish for EV owners is greater range and/or shorter charge times. To build in this capability just for the exceptional use would make EVs much more expensive, as the average daily mileage for personal use is 29 miles. The current range of electric cars will cover 99.9% of US daily trips. For the few long road trips, one can rent a gas car, van or SUV.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
    ..... Average price for a full size electric school bus is around $400K.
    What is the average price for a conventional internal combustion school bus?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X