Lifting of the Wasa ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifting of the Wasa ship

This took place around the year I was born & a patrol ship me & Sonja later on owned was there also:
    (not in this film thou)

https://digitaltmuseum.se/0211187549...jZ6OutUUc-kLV0
    sigpic

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Cool to see how they did things a few years ago. Thanks for posting.

Comment

It was big news at the time. Remember a big spread in Life magazine.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

An OSHA inspector's nightmare!
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	P5131049.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1885880

Ran when sunk, one owner, a gem! It's actually amazing to see. It's huge too, although a little top heavy.

Comment

During 1990 I was riding a bicycle around Denmark. While there I took the overnight train to Stockholm to stay a single day then take the return overnight train back to Denmark. Soon after leaving the train station I found the new museum building for this ship. It very recently opened; the copper roof was still bright copper colored. I like oak and I like wood work. This whole ship is a huge collection of beautifully worked oak. It did not look like the photo shown in post #5. When I saw it it had been cleaned up and looked like a new ship of newly cut wood. I was so fascinated that I spent my whole time in that museum.

An added bonus for me was a very nice 1959 Pontiac (with New Jersey dealer tag and state inspection sticker) parked by the entrance.

Thank you for this reminder.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Crandall View Post
              During 1990 I was riding a bicycle around Denmark. While there I took the overnight train to Stockholm to stay a single day then take the return overnight train back to Denmark. Soon after leaving the train station I found the new museum building for this ship. It very recently opened; the copper roof was still bright copper colored. I like oak and I like wood work. This whole ship is a huge collection of beautifully worked oak. It did not look like the photo shown in post #5. When I saw it it had been cleaned up and looked like a new ship of newly cut wood. I was so fascinated that I spent my whole time in that museum.

An added bonus for me was a very nice 1959 Pontiac (with New Jersey dealer tag and state inspection sticker) parked by the entrance.

Thank you for this reminder.
              Sorry for the poor photo, it was very dark in there, no flashes and I could not back up enough to take a full shot, it is that big. They explained that light, heat and people is damaging the ship, just like paintings such as the Mona Lisa and those in other galleries. So they have huge dehumidifiers in there and the light level is very low.

Name:	P5131036.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1885989

Here is a model they also displayed. It was in a lighted case.

Comment

Talk about Bling! The captain and crew would not want to take that into battle and have all the masterful woodwork damaged. This explains some of the stuff they were pulling out of the water in the film. Does anyone know what scale this model is built on?
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Name:	P5131033.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1886019

Name:	P5131037.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1886020Click image for larger version

Name:	P5131040.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1886021

Sorry if this is TMI.

Comment

Thanx for the texts Topper, I wasn't interested about this as a kid in class.
                    sigpic

Josephine
                    Champion V8
                    4d sedan

Comment

Not too much information for me. I enjoyed seeing it in 1990, and I enjoy learning about it again. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                      X