Vintage Indy car, first fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Indy car, first fire

I hope this link works. My good friend Steve Miller, here in my town, restores Indy cars from the 60s for clients. That’s Steve in the hat, operating the throttle. Steve owns well over 100 Studebakers, mostly parts cars. He still intends to restore his Studebakers, but the Indy car collectors keep him busy. Steve spent maybe 15 years working for one client restoring every Watson roadster still in existence, some started as pieces of the frame. I forget what brand this one is, but he shoots for having one per year ready to deliver to Indy every May for the 500, and here’s another one ready- no deadline stress, no all-nighters, none of the silliness you see in TV shows.

Turn up your volume and enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/sharon.mere...9860204356867/
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Sorry Bob, but the content wasn't available, so I couldn't see or hear it. Bill

Comment

The video is of course on my
      facebook page, but for those still afraid here’s a couple still pics; although the sound cannot be described.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EE8CE910-FA9D-4522-A702-CE6C087C8E5D.png
Views:	159
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1885723Click image for larger version

Name:	8AA137B5-61A0-4070-95AB-DF6B5D810CE1.png
Views:	161
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1885725
      Attached Files
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Those old indy cars are very cool but what can you do with them? Very limited track time available anywhere I believe.
        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I have an active Facebook account and I'm signed into Facebook, but get this when I click on the link in Post #1

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 8.39.59 PM.png
Views:	128
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	1885734
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Don't know how old an Indy car needs to be to get out on the dirt at the track at the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing; but they have an annual event open to all.
            Francisco Eduardo Menendez, aka Frank "Rebel" Mundy drove a '51 Commander Starlight to three NASCAR victories that year. And I've made a few laps on the track at the EMMR with my own '51 Commander Starlight.

Even when there isn't a scheduled event, the museum is worth a visit for those with fumes in the veins.

https://emmr.org/

https://emmr.org/schedule/

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10,
            '51 Commander Starlight,
            '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
            '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

[QUOTE=Bob Andrews;n1885722]The video is of course on my
              facebook page, but for those still afraid here’s a couple still pics; although the sound cannot be described.

Bob,

I really haven't been afraid of anything since 1973 when I was in Southeast Asia and had to hit the floor during the all night rocket mortar attacks. Fear of dying at a young age is a legitimate reason, not some made up social media.

I am not afraid of facebook. I just flat DON'T LIKE IT. Anytime I was on it, immediately I was targeted by people I did not know or for that matter people I thought I knew send me items I had no interest in. Besides, if I commented positively on an achievement that was posted, I was inundated with all sorts of items I had no interested in seeing.

If you can spare two hours from your busy schedule, here are a couple of documentaries on facebook:

FRONTLINE | The Facebook Dilemma (Part One) | Season 2018 | Episode 19 | PBS

FRONTLINE | The Facebook Dilemma (Part Two) | Season 2018 | Episode 20 | PBS

A series of mounting crises at Facebook, from the company’s failure to protect users’ data, to the proliferation of “fake news” and disinformation, have raised the question: How has Facebook’s historic success brought about real-world harm?

I am hoping that there will come a day when facebook is not mentioned in any post. Not optimistic that will happen, so post away. I will ignore away.

Bob Miles

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                I have an active Facebook account and I'm signed into Facebook, but get this when I click on the link in Post #1

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 8.39.59 PM.png
Views:	128
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	1885734
                I honestly don't know what to do. I click it from my phone and both computers, and it opens for me. I know I and others have posted facebook links before on here and they have worked. May be one has to be a 'friend'. My apologies, I just thought it was cool and I knew others would as well. As far as the sound, it was a cross between a prop plane at idle and some kind of jet when revved. Awesome. It starts with one of those motorized tools via a shaft that pokes through a hole in the nose. The innovation is amazing.

As for what to do with these cars- They belong to wealthy Indy enthusiasts who keep them in private collections or loan them to museums. Some do even participate in vintage racing. Steve has even been allowed to take his restorations around Indy. I can't imagine the thrill that must be!

Finally for Bob, re: facebook: I comment about it because it's a shame that some choose to miss out on all the good it has to offer. Facebook is like any tool; or like electricity- a great benefit to your life, or terrible harm, 100% depending on how you harness its power. It is easily customizable: you don't need to communicate, or be friends, with anybody or anything you don't want. If you want to learn about a specific subject, there are plenty of pages you can join to do so. I join, glean info, then leave, as desired. I cannot measure how much facebook has improved my business, my knowledge, and my life overall. I just hate to see good people miss out on that- whether it be misinformation, or irrational fear. And just about always, it's one, or the other, or a combination of the two.

It's a big world out there, with unlimited good to discover. With facebook, it's easy to eliminate the bad.
                Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

On Facebook you have to select share when you post, otherwise only people on your friends list can see it.
                  I guess you don't have me on your friends list, because I can't see it either <lol>
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                    On Facebook you have to select share when you post, otherwise only people on your friends list can see it.
                    I guess you don't have me on your friends list, because I can't see it either <lol>
                    You certainly are a friend, so now I'm even more corn-foozed
                    Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Just adding a finished photo. BTW it is a 1958 Kuzma driven by Troy Ruttman at Indy.

Name:	4049A4AF-A196-4EE5-B9C2-4689D2519823.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	1886619
                      Attached Files
                      Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                      X