1927 Buick and Chevy worth the price.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1927 Buick and Chevy worth the price.

I have an opportunity from an old friend who is selling his fathers cars a 1927 Buick Standard 6 Model 20 and a 1927 Chevy AA Capitol to me. The father had the titles but the friend does not have them. Bonded titles are easy to get with bills of sale and certified letters in AZ so titles are not a problem. They have been in a pole barn for 40 years. The Buick has damage under the drivers door and would need to be repaired. These are AZ cars with little rust. I have purchased cars I thought were a good deal only to have the parts cost eat me up. For the most part the cars seem to be mostly there. Missing door handles, inside and out, wood will need to be replaced top and bottom. They could be rodded out, restored or rat rodded. I have a spare Stude 289, 3 speed manual trans and Commander rear end. At $200 per car is this worth it? The parts may be worth more but I hate to do that to the cars. Thoughts?
    Jim

1927 Buick Standard 6, Model 20

1927 Chevy AA Capitol

51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Sadly these are parts cars only. Early wooden framed sedans have limited value in the collector car market and redoing the wood would require lots of time and cost even if you did the work yourself (many curves and finger joints).
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

I think that at least the Chevy is more than a parts car. Time has not been their friend, but they are both still intact, and look to be fairly solid. The restoration of the wood is a large project ( especially the wood buick wheels). For a street rod, people replace the wood with square tubing to stiffen the body and maintain the shape. I think that they are easily worth a couple of bills each.

Comment

If we rodded them out is there a donor frame that works or are we going to have to custom make one? At this point we are thinking more of a rat rod. I would like to save them but do not think it is worth it.
        62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

$200 seems very cheap. I would think the grill alone would be worth twice that.

The chevy looks good enough to make a resto rod with new running gear and leaving the exterior as is.
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I have a complete Stude 289, transmision and axle. Axle may be a wide but may find another that might fit.
            62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Not to throw the thread off, Jim, but how is the 51 Commander Starlight running?

Bob Miles

Comment

Good question, she hasn’t been on the road since last May. The DG 200 transmission as you know had problems so I decided to replace it with a DG 250m that I have. Transmission came out all right I decided to clean up the engine oil pan also which is a real pain to get out. Then with Covid and we decided to remodel our house which filled the garage with stuff. I haven’t been able to work on it until last week. The 250 leaks at the pan and the shift seal. So I need to fix those and then I can put the transmission back in. Hopefully it will run well.
                62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Both cars seem like bargains to me. It would be nice to get them back on the road. No offense to anyone, but personally, I hate rat rods, seem like the easy way out.

Comment

It's certainly not the money. The price is really the same as free. The question is are you personally dedicated to saving one or both? If your answer is no let someone else have them. IMHO becoming an interim owner, without the dedicated commitment to restoration, is not saving a car, it's just taking on someone else's headache. These are cars that would have to have a family tie, or some other emotional reason for the undertaking. Running and presentable these cars might be worth $15K@. To get to that point would easily cost three to four times that much. As a street rod the value would be about the same, but with a more limited market. If you choose the save them, good luck, better you then me.

This is just reality as I see it. I'm just one old car lover. This may not be the best forum to get a true picture of the hobby, or the market for these cars. If you still can't make up your mind, I would suggest that you take your question to the AACA forum and pose it the same way you did here.

Comment

I too think the price is right. The bigger question would be how much are you willing to pay out to make either road worthy.
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I agree that I don’t want to put very much into them. These aren’t cars that you’re going to be able to really drive about town. I have a couple like that already. At this point what I’m thinking strongly is getting them running enough to take to cruises and close shows and show them off as a survivor car. They won’t get anything more than just running and new tires. As someone said these will be great to take two cruises and shows and let the kids sit in them and be able to look inside them. You don’t get to see 94 year old survivor cars very often. These absolutely qualify as barn finds since they were in an old chicken ranch in Phoenix. They are in the chicken barn. I pick them up tomorrow and the owner said that somebody has got baby goats running around in there right now.
                        62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Absolutely worth $200 each. If they were reasonably close to me I would love to have them. Best market for them is rat rod builders. The reality is, the numbers even to get them mobile are far from making sense. They would have to be strictly a labor of love.

At least as rat rods they would live on. To me that's always better than having them lost forever.
                          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                          Romans 15:13
                          Deuteronomy 31:6
                          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by lelshaddai View Post
                            I agree that I don’t want to put very much into them. These aren’t cars that you’re going to be able to really drive about town. I have a couple like that already. At this point what I’m thinking strongly is getting them running enough to take to cruises and close shows and show them off as a survivor car. They won’t get anything more than just running and new tires. As someone said these will be great to take two cruises and shows and let the kids sit in them and be able to look inside them. You don’t get to see 94 year old survivor cars very often. These absolutely qualify as barn finds since they were in an old chicken ranch in Phoenix. They are in the chicken barn. I pick them up tomorrow and the owner said that somebody has got baby goats running around in there right now.
                            I think that's how I would have done it. Clean them up, get them running and enjoy! If the frame is wood and gone, I think I would try to make a frame out of steel rectangle tubing, faux wood paint it and put the body back on. But, I don't know what I don't know, so I'm sure it's a pretty naive thought process. I would love to have one of them and was getting around to convincing the wife I need a road trip.

Comment

Working...
                            X