Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody had / having problems with a Subaru H6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the correction. Yes, I am thinking of the sensor located in the intake tube, Mass Air Flow. Good Luck Noxnabaker, hope you are able to find one.

Comment

Ok... You'll never guess what... or maby you think you can...

Yesterday I borrowed a (ten years younger but felt like at least ten years older) Ford but today I couldn't do that & I had to get to the truck so I took the Subaru. I had two thoughts in mind; to get brake cleaner & try to clean the sensor but not before I've tried to disconnect the electric from the sensor when the car was running bad... & I knew that I had to walk Carmenzita due to she just had breakfast.
      So after a while she started to make noices & at the same time the car started to miss out a little so I stoped, shut off the engine, disconnected the contact, started the engine again & it behaved the same... I threw a stick for her a few times to "get her stuff working faster" & when she was done we continued driving, & the car behaved as it always does when I've waited a while; it ran perfect.
      It's about a 40 km drive & when I had about 2 km left the car started to go bad again, & worse & then the engine was dead. Tried (as usual) to start again but it's only firing a few times as if the timing is way wrong. (as usual) Went out, disconnected the sensor, tried to start but the car behaved just the same as when the sensor is connected.
      So it aint the map/maf sensor at all cuz it don't matter what mood the engine/timing is in; it runs the same connected or disconnected when it runs bad! When the engine runs good & I disconnect it runs on all cylinders but the rpm's wanders up & down like an old diesel engine.

So something is sometimes causing the coils to cut out but not all at once...
      Gee I can't wait ti get back home & drive a car with old ignition system!

& NOW! ...you all knows the isue & will tell me! Right..?

Click image for larger version  Name:	SonjasCoolaZodiac ( Scania.JPG Views:	0 Size:	89.9 KB ID:	1885620
      Last edited by Noxnabaker; 03-18-2021, 07:33 AM.
      sigpic

Josephine
      Champion V8
      4d sedan

Comment

Strange; on the way back into town yesterday & also out to the truck today, the car drove perfect, but on the way back today, almost home it started to go bad for a while, then worse for a short while & then died. So as usual I try to start it but it only fires one cylinder a little now & then so I sit & wait for about 2-3 minits & then it starts fine & runs perfect.

(But this seems to be a bad day for me... I was doing stuff with the truck but found I didn't have coverage on my phone (that's why I'm back in town by my laptop & writing this & other stuff) so I thought "it's pro'ly out here on the island, I'll just drive a bit towards town" but I drove all the way back & still no signal. So now I've e-mailed folx & just sits & wait...)

sigpic

Josephine
        Champion V8
        4d sedan

Comment

I have a couple of Subaru friends. I will point them at this post and see if they have any ideas.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My friend Gus's comments after he read the post:

Sporadic spark appears to be their current train of thought?

I have no experience with the 6 cylinder. But I am reading in their words electrical based on their current ideas.

I'd suggest checking grounds all around first...if there is corrosion or anything causing ground issues...

This video shows a process to get to the ignition packs...dude states 1 hour...I'd say 2 the first time based on what I am seeing
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wqH03iBuxY

Testing resistance on coil pack
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJhUksfK3pQ

Testing MAP sensor just in case. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSR6pIXzvl0

I'd likely start here before going any deeper.

New plugs if there is a bad coil pack as well...if the MAP sensor isn't the issue...

If the packs are good...then they are chasing wiring to ensure the connectors / wires are good. From there...I have to think a bit.
          Last edited by BobWaitz; 03-18-2021, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Thanx Bob, seems promesing!

Ok, now I've watched them, the cars are newer & different but I sure got an idea about how to continue...
            Last edited by Noxnabaker; 03-18-2021, 09:58 AM.
            sigpic

Josephine
            Champion V8
            4d sedan

Comment

Nox,
              As mentioned by Bob in post # 19, I thought about a poor ground (corroded?) on the computer I mentioned under the passenger floor mat.
              Luck,
              Bill

Comment

The car is very unpredictible, we went to Norrtull (google that ) & it ran great but on the way back it was the worst & in city trafic too, but we had to go there & back. & then at the way from Slussen to Danviken (now yar learning 'bout my home town) where we finaly turned off it shut itself off several times, lots of waiting...
                Back here it's a shop & my pal said "go there to get him to find the trouble" but it was crowed both inside & on the street so I had to park it where I'm alowed to, far away. My pal has done some work for a 85 year old woman so we get to park it there for free, but it's to small to do anything & I have to put it to one side to just open the door enough to get out & then it's tightly inside the gate & I can just about walk behind the car + it's not allowed to even fill water in the radiator there.
                Anyway, to morrow we're heading out to the truck again, no time today, & there I'll be at it, maby even before as there's a really good gas station on the way.

I've put it out for sale to see if anyone wants it...
                sigpic

Josephine
                Champion V8
                4d sedan

Comment

I am on my second Subaru and have had no problems like what you have. Of course my present Outback is much newer than yours. The one I had previously was a sedan and had well over a hundred thousand miles on it. When I got rid of it it was still running great and still got well over 30mpg on long trips.
                  Last edited by JRoberts; 04-02-2021, 01:03 PM.
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Of all forums & people I've spoken to this seems very rare to happen.
                    The Subaru garage Sonja uses has one as lend-out car to customers while they're working on the customers car & that one has done 530 000 km so far without overhaul. Sonja & me has driven it & it's just a really good car.
                    It's the blue one in front of Sonja's two:

Click image for larger version  Name:	001,1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	75.6 KB ID:	1886456
                    I now suspect it's the cam sensor, the thing is that I've been way to busy the last days to check it & in the town there's no way I would be allowed to work on a car myself outside, the days when even city people took care of their own stuff are long gone in Sweden...
                    sigpic

Josephine
                    Champion V8
                    4d sedan

Comment

The car has been doing good every second time it's been used & bad to nothing at all every second day... Exept today when it ran just as bad as yesterday.
                      Or, no it didn't; it ran worse than ever & then not at all.
                      It was me, Carmenzita-the-dawg, my pal Ludwig, tools & so on (& Ludwig was hung over, pretending to be 22 years old yesterday night) & suddenly we were about 15 km from Stockholm in a unfamiliar neighbourhood with a car that just said "poff!" a little now & then when I tried to start it...
                      So Ludwig phoned a friend that I've never met before & we got towed all the way! (& me being a "Stockholmer" by birth suddenly heard real oldtime Stockholm melody for the first time in many many years... Nice!)

& so finaly I took time to do what I should have done long ago; I got into cleaning the cam sensor! Strange thou that I only found one when there's two cylinder banks.
                      On the way back to town, after also working on the Scania Vabis, it ran ok but that it does at times so if I succeded I aint got a clue about yet.
                      sigpic

Josephine
                      Champion V8
                      4d sedan

Comment

I hate it when the only way you know if you solved a problem is that it never happens again.

Comment

I don't know if it helped for a while or if it just took a longer brake but it didn't take long before the car was unreliable again.
                          I have an idea thou; maby some old sludge pieces are being thrown up on the cam sensor from the cam..? Gonna do an oil & filter change tomorrow & then clean the sensor again, it's a bit of work getting to but it's probably worth it. I hope...
                          sigpic

Josephine
                          Champion V8
                          4d sedan

Comment

Working...
                          X