Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody had / having problems with a Subaru H6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody had / having problems with a Subaru H6?

One of Sonja's -01 Subaru H6 are making life stressy for me at the moment; I'm 600 km from home & it starts to behave baaad...
    It starts to cut out a cylinder or two for a while, then it goes worse & then it just dies. It starts after a while but the breakdowns are coming more often now & it takes longer time before it runs ok again.
    I've made sure there's no vaccum caused by the filler cap, filled up with new gas, put what we call "k-spirit" in the tank too.
    Now I suspect it might be an electric problem, I tested it by giving a lot of gas when it was running real bad & then it made some knocking sounds + a few "bang" sounds as when there's gas in the cylinders that hasn't fired & then ignites at a wrong moment.
    I've tried disconnecting the battery to re-set the computer but no change.

Any experiances out there?
    (I'm sure some are just dying to say "go to a garage" or to get one of those things you plug in to see what's wrong but what I need is someones answer what the problem is.)

& for those who don't know; there's no sparkplug wires to see & getting to the plugs takes a lot of dismantling...

Click image for larger version  Name:	001.JPG Views:	0 Size:	79.1 KB ID:	1885099
    sigpic

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Ask Google! When all else fails - someone will have the answer for you - some simple and some not!

Comment

Our neighbor had one , Headgaskets failed , He was told it was a poor pick of headgaskets by Subie . Ed

Comment

It must have coils on each plug, hence no plug wires. Is it setting a check engine light? I know that you said this was not the answer you wanted, but most computer controlled cars will have to have a code reader to diagnose most issues. Many parts stores in the States will read the code for you, then you can google the code and figure out the problem. Any chance that a friend would have a code reader that could help you out?

Comment

Yes WCP, I've googled & looked at youtube & I'm on a Subaru forum but the answers I get are quite the same all over, nothing spot on so far...
          If I don't get a good answer I'll ofcourse have to go to a shop, I'm far away from friends here, I moved away from Stockholm in 1985.
          sigpic

Josephine
          Champion V8
          4d sedan

Comment

Hi Nox,
            My Sonja also had a 2002 Subaru H6 Outback. Although it didn't fail us our 2001 Forester with the flat 4 did. In fact Subaru here in western Canada could not get it to start and run properly for 11 months. Eventually I found a used computer in California and that solved the problem. The new ones were prohibitively expensive (well over $1000.00) precluding the option to try one as you can't return electronic components. This trial unit cost only about $50.00 so no big deal if it didn't solve the running problem but as I stated, it did fix it. They are located under the floor mat recessed into the passenger footwell. I hope this info helps you.
            Cheers,
            Bill

Comment

Thanx Bill, I'm gonna look there!
              I discoverd a group on facebook but they seems mostly interested in making the cars go faster.
              Tomorrow I'll be working on removing a gearbox from my friends -72 Scania Vabis L50S to change the clutch, so I don't know if I'll be at it that soon.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Per + Art.JPG Views:	0 Size:	53.2 KB ID:	1885244
              & it has to be taken down from up under & it's not made of alu...
              sigpic

Josephine
              Champion V8
              4d sedan

Comment

Not much to add here, but wanted to say that it's mainly the EJ series 4 cylinder that has the head gasket problems- I don't believe the 6 cyl is usually plagued with those problems. Can be a rough go troubleshooting modern cars without a scan tool... more than likely a fuel, ignition, or electronic control thereof that's at fault... even could wager a guess that it will be ignition or ECU, but...
                Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

#2 for the Computer. Did it with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Got a newly reprogramed one, online...

Comment

I got some answers, it's not a common failure; & it's the map censor. Cost in US is $40 but in Sweden we have to pay $568 & you can only get it at a Subaru shop!
                    Order it from the states..? Takes ages to get it & I aint got that much of time.
                    I disconnected the electric from it, the car runs but the rpm wanders up, down, up, down & so on so that aint a sulotion.
                    Modern cars...

A friend took it to a garage today to get code read & they came up with 3 different things that I know don't make this problem.
                    sigpic

Josephine
                    Champion V8
                    4d sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
                      I got some answers, it's not a common failure; & it's the map censor. Cost in US is $40 but in Sweden we have to pay $568 & you can only get it at a Subaru shop!
                      Order it from the states..? Takes ages to get it & I aint got that much of time.
                      I disconnected the electric from it, the car runs but the rpm wanders up, down, up, down & so on so that aint a sulotion.
                      Modern cars...

A friend took it to a garage today to get code read & they came up with 3 different things that I know don't make this problem.
                      How long would it take to get the part from some place like RockAuto.com? If it takes two weeks, you could rent a car for replacement usage and come out ahead.
                      How new year/mileage is this "modern car" that you are referring to?

EDIT: I went back to the beginning and see that you are referring to a two decade old car. How many miles/kilometers?
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

$568.00! Yikes! Some of the old map sensors could be cleaned with a Q-tip soaked in carb cleaner. They had a thin wire that would get contaminated, and not read correctly. Not sure what Subies use.

Comment

Not knowing Subaru, does your car have a fuel pressure regulator? I had symptoms similar for over a year until it just got to be unstart able and un drivable. Flooded the engine and had a gas fuel lock. Replace the regulator plus new plugs and wires. Car runs better than ever. Starts on one tick and smooth.

Bob Miles

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                            $568.00! Yikes! Some of the old map sensors could be cleaned with a Q-tip soaked in carb cleaner. They had a thin wire that would get contaminated, and not read correctly. Not sure what Subies use.
                            What you're describing is a MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor . Nox mentioned a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure- aka: manifold vacuum) sensor. I'da guessed that a 2001 car would be using a mass air flow sensor, as it seems like most manufacturers abandoned using manifold vacuum to set baseline fueling around the switchover to OBD2 in '96... at least in the US. And on top of that, I'm not all that familiar with Subes produced in the last 30 years, so I suppose I prolly shouldn't keep blabbering on, eh.
                            Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Yep, map/maf sensor it is.
                              (As for age & milage; the garage we (Sonja, it's her Subies) use have a H6 about 5 years older than ours that's dome 530000 km without engine overhaul, so in my opinion age & milage aint a big isue as long as you maintain the car good enough.)
                              Renting a car is totally out of the question & I'm also 600 km away from home.
                              There's a site that covers swedish scrap yards & I've been at it to find that the only Subarus they have of this age is 4-cyl cars & the sensors on those are different.

sigpic

Josephine
                              Champion V8
                              4d sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X