Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The newest 1980 F-250 4X4 on the planet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The newest 1980 F-250 4X4 on the planet...

and someone paid $97,000 for it! Unbelievable. (Thanks to Dwain Grindinger for the link.) BP

https://na01.safelinks.protection.ou...%3D&reserved=0
    Last edited by BobPalma; 03-10-2021, 02:49 PM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Bob P. - Did you notice that it went to the Ford dealer in Rockford, Ill. (like Unique Motors, IIRC)?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

This 78 F150 did $95.5 2 days ago...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...150-ranger-15/

2 years older and 924 more miles

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Bent pushrod at less than 1K miles? Non-factory wheels that cheapen the look?

As soon as this Ford gets onto the road it will look like every other black ‘78 F-150 that is showing 101,000 miles on its “5-digit” odometer.

I am so glad to not be a part of the Ford-Chevy lunatic money circle. That’s incredible.

Comment

Lots of luck finding decent 16.5 tires today.

Comment

That looks so much like the sort of farm truck you'd see around where I grew up. Many similar on the rural roads in the early 80s. In farm country, many of them would have a "shock hitch" bumper. Aftermarket heavy bumper with built-in hitch that was on springs or rubber cushions (not sure). Farmers would tow loaded grain wagons with their pickup and those shock hitches to absorb the jolts from those heavy wagons on rough roads. An extinct thing nowadays as semi trucks and massive grain carts are used and nobody pulls 200-250 bushel wagons on the road anymore.

I wonder if the dog dish caps are missing on that '80? I would expect to see such on a work truck like that.

Jeff in ND

Comment

I realize that value is subjective, but I am curious as to why the purchaser was willing to spend $97,000 for this F-250. If the other bidder had continued to bid, I wonder how much higher the selling price would have been. What do you do with a $97,000 F-250 that is 41 years old with nearly no mileage? Did the Ford Motor Company purchase it for their museum? I suppose they could claim it as a tax deduction. I have too many questions.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Those holes visible in the frame photos of Ford going overboard to lighten weight is exactly why the 1980 models were easily the worst of that generation F-150.

Craig

Comment

Craig,

I had totally forgot about those weight reducers. That light-bulbed me to remembering reading some farm publications in those days where a snow plow was installed and the frame twisted and popped out the windshield, etc. I think Ford must have re-thought that afterwards as it seemed like it was not a issue in later years.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    Bob P. - Did you notice that it went to the Ford dealer in Rockford, Ill. (like Unique Motors, IIRC)?
                    Yep, Gary; I noticed that. I sent the link to my former associate. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Similar Dodge auction:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-dodge-ram-11/
                      sigpic
                      Dave Lester

Comment

Working...
                      X