Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jay Leno: "Appreciation for hard work is fading, and old cars aren't easy ." Hagerty article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jay Leno: "Appreciation for hard work is fading, and old cars aren't easy ." Hagerty article

Leno: Appreciation for hard work is fading, and old cars aren't easy | Hagerty Media

One amusing anecdote from the article:
    'A very famous country western star called me not long ago and said, “It’s my husband’s birthday, he’s always wanted a 1953 Ford F-100, a red one, and I want to get one for his birthday. Can you get me one?” I said I couldn’t promise it would be red, but I would look around. Then I asked when his birthday is. She said, “Thursday.” I said, “This is Tuesday! I’m not going to find a car in two days. It takes awhile!” She didn’t get it.'
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Beautiful, perfectly stated. It's a constant in every aspect of the hobby. "Wow, that much to pick up and deliver a car for me? Aren't you retired?" Never mind the cost of expensive trucks and fuel and new trailers every few years, even if you think my time isn't worth anything. "The auction charges 10% buyer's/seller's fee? Why so much? What crooks!" Nah, it doesn't cost much to rent a huge venue, and pay a few hundred people to handle everything from logistics to setup to accounting to security to operations. "How much did you say to buy/sell for me at auction?" You're right, it costs nothing to travel, or get a room, and 50 years' experience isn't really worth anything lol. One of my favorites is diminishing the effort with "Real Quick"... as in "hey could you scoot over to Ohio real quick and pick up a car for me" or "hey could you get my car in and change the clutch real quick". Or going all out by adding the "Throw": "It's got to be worth more than that, you could 'throw' a paint job on that 'real quick' and make money". People. It's all part of life.

My father told me as a kid, focus on body and paint, people are more willing to pay for things that make their vehicle look better; they don't care as much how good it runs, as long as it does. He was right on, but today it's at an all new level.

What Jay said won't change a thing- this will always be a part of human nature, and the decline continues- but it's a good try.

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Yup. Paint and chrome will sell. Good mechanicals with poor paint, not so much. Look at any used car dealer.

45 years ago a friend said that he could do mechanical work, but not paint.

Although the trend may be reversing. Some folks are getting into "patina" on their vehicles. No doubt fueled by the exponential rise in the price of paint jobs. Matthew sold his mechanically excellent truck with a "patina" paint job for a good price recently.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Yes, 'patina' is a subset of the hobby, only a small part of it. Like girls paying extra for jeans that have been purposely ripped. Hopefully the trend fades soon. But it fits right in with what Jay is talking about.
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

An excellent article; thanks for the post. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
          X