Automotive Superstore in the 40s/50s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automotive Superstore in the 40s/50s

This picture really got me. What a destination it must have been in its day! Fuel, full service and repairs, and new cars, all in one facility. This is how I picture most Studebaker dealerships in that era. As Bill Pressler has said before, how I would love to be able to step into that photo

Click image for larger version

Name:	4C5ACA58-0692-43FE-8D16-7A00ED18E276.jpeg
Views:	246
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	1883089
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

I've seen lots of those, well into the 1970's; especially in medium-sized towns with populations of 25-75K.

Craig

Comment

The last dealership that I worked for was one of those all in one businesses. It opened in 1929 as a DeSoto-Plymouth dealer and is still run by the grandson of the original owner. I was just there this afternoon. It was fairly good size, but increased in the 1950s in a Village of about 1000 people. It grew to two showrooms holding 16 cars, a service facility that holds 16 cars, an attached two car Texaco service station with pumps out front and a body shop in a separate building. They later also had satellite locations with Fiat and International Harvestor. They even sold Mercedes Benz after DeSoto went out. Then they took on Chrysler.

The gas station went away and then the body shop closed. After they lost their Chrysler-Plymouth franchise, they sold used cars for awhile. Now, they are a power equipment dealer and service cars and power equipment and do not use all of the building, for example the newer showroom.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        The last dealership that I worked for was one of those all in one businesses. It opened in 1929 as a DeSoto-Plymouth dealer and is still run by the grandson of the original owner. I was just there this afternoon. It was fairly good size, but increased in the 1950s in a Village of about 1000 people. It grew to two showrooms holding 16 cars, a service facility that holds 16 cars, an attached two car Texaco service station with pumps out front and a body shop in a separate building. They later also had satellite locations with Fiat and International Harvestor. They even sold Mercedes Benz after DeSoto went out. Then they took on Chrysler.

The gas station went away and then the body shop closed. After they lost their Chrysler-Plymouth franchise, they sold used cars for awhile. Now, they are a power equipment dealer and service cars and power equipment and do not use all of the building, for example the newer showroom.
        Wow, I would love to see that
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post

Wow, I would love to see that
          Ketcham Motors/Ketcham Power Equipment, 1148 Main Street, Fishkill, NY 12524. The showrooms (mostly the newer five car and office location) and the gas station part are on Main Street. The service part is on Broad Street, Fishkill and connects to the rear of the older 11 car showroom. The service area has garage door entrances from Broad Street and from around the opposite side, where there is also a car storage lot and a storage building. I imagine that this can all be seen in its present state (mostly unused) on Google.

EDIT: Bob - If you find yourself in Fishkill, contact me and I will give you a tour and buy you lunch.
          Last edited by studegary; 03-03-2021, 07:05 AM.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post

EDIT: Bob - If you find yourself in Fishkill, contact me and I will give you a tour and buy you lunch.
            Gary, it would be great to see you! I have to go to Long Island at least twice in the coming weeks, I will make my schedule fit a stop to see you. Will keep you posted.
            Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
            X