Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Residential airparks, including houses with tuck-under hangars and streets shared by cars & planes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Residential airparks, including houses with tuck-under hangars and streets shared by cars & planes

Until I came upon this article today, I was unaware of such housing developments that catered to airplanes/pilots. Very interesting reading!

What it's like to live in California neighborhood designed for pilots (insider.com)

sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

I almost bought a house in a residential air park not far from Tacoma about two years ago. I don't have a plane, I only wanted it because it was sited 60ft. above the airstrip, giving it a great unobstructed view of Mt. Rainier, and it came with a hanger that would have made a superb shop. Though the house was great, and it was an unbelievable deal for such a house, I couldn't convince the Frau to move away from her church and all of her close friends in the Seattle area.
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Imagine such a community that catered to Studebaker owners. It would be like an international Studebaker meet every day of the week!
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Maybe that would be a good place for this

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0521-46...t-42-lear-jet/
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

That's not such a bad idea. You know, there are old airfields all over this country that have gone bankrupt and are no longer used by planes. The place I looked at had about eight (i think) four-bay hangers. Several hangers, including the one for the house I'd looked at, were where different types of businesses had set up shop in only part of their hangers and they were renting out excess space to plane owners. When I'd looked at it, I thought that I'd use one out of the four plane bays, evict the plane owners and rent out the other three for car storage. You can fit a whole lot of cars into the space which an airplane, even a small plane, occupies.
          Kenmore, Washington
          hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
          '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
          '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
          '69 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
            Maybe that would be a good place for this

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0521-46...t-42-lear-jet/
            Parking that sucker has to be a bee - atch.
            Kenmore, Washington
            hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
            '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
            '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
            '69 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Originally posted by hausdok View Post

Parking that sucker has to be a bee - atch.
              It’s hard to believe it’s street legal. I looked at it at Mecum Indy last July. I’d have to look it up but I believe it was $190k, no sale. I was shocked that anybody wanted it, let alone that much.
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Have a friend and fellow Avanti owner that lives in a development like this in Northern Florida. I don't know the age of the development but it's been there for decades. His place is a large hanger (2 or 4 planes?) with living accommodations. The biggest problem is maintaining the airport facilities. He loves it there as he loves planes and cars.

Bob

Comment

My younger brother did it the hard way. He was tired of living in South Carolina paying fees for moorage of his Ercoupe at the local private airstrip so he bought a 100 year old farm in Tennessee that has a nice long flat field and a big old tobacco barn. He's been stabilizing/renovating the old farmhouse for more than a year and is converting the barn into a hanger. They've sold the house in S.C. and are moving up there in a month or so. From the photos it looks like a really nice place; but, I dunno, I'd be nervous about flying around in a 70-year-old airplane. He's an A&P plus a flight instructor rated for multi-engine, so................

I'm the ex-paratrooper who isn't the least bit nervous at heights or when making parachute jumps and he's a pilot who is terrified of heights and would rather go down with a malfunctioning plane than jump out of it with a parachute. Oh yeah, and he's only got one real foot. Weird pair, huh?
                  Last edited by hausdok; 02-28-2021, 04:39 AM.
                  Kenmore, Washington
                  hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                  '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                  '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                  '69 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

I have a friend who bought one of these airport developments. He is a rated pilot and instructor, AP Mechanic and has I recall eight houses/hangers. This is in Illinois, we’ve lost touch over the years.

Comment

• John Travolta’s house is located in Ocala, Florida, a short hour and a half drive outside of Orlando. The home is located in the Jumbolair Aviation Estate, which is a residential airpark

Comment

Hey! He copied MY house!!

Comment

So the nose fits in the garage?

Comment

Here is one of the first Aircraft / residential developments in the country .
                            Spruce Creek Fly-in near Daytona Beach.

http://www.7fl6.com/2008/02/history-...ek-fly-in.html

When I was young , it was just an abandoned WW2 airport .
                            Over the years various Drag races were held there , some legal , some not .
                            I was involved in the latter years of the legal version .
                            Our club ( the DBCTA ) rented the airport for 24 hours , twice a month , and conducted a full race on those days .
                            We mostly ran at night , and rented a set of old WW2 search lights to provide the light , and put up and dismantled each night , all
                            of the things needed to run a good race . PA System , timing lights , scales , Concession stand , etc .
                            We provided to the City , an insurance certificate for each day .

Bill H
                            Daytona Beach
                            SDC member since 1970
                            Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

Several years ago, one of my pals at work in Smyrna, TN. said they were going to build one of these in Lebanon, TN. and he was going to have one of the spaces. Lost touch, wonder if that ever happened ?

Comment

Working...
                              X