Controversial Posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controversial Posts

A while back one of our members added a post with his opinion of Facebook. Not trying to start any new commentary on that, I am completely neutral on the subject. Our moderator followed his comment with a warning, and threatened to close the thread, and delete the post. I responded (with no opinion about facebook) that I felt that he should be entitled to his opinion. There are peoples opinions on every topic imaginable, posted here every day. The moderator deleted both of the posts, and now I see what seems to be a new warning at the top of the stovehuggers page. Quote: Topics and posts concerning or involving politics, religion, or other subjects intended to incite or inflame others are not allowed on this, or any other, portion of the SDC Forums.
    Such posts will be immediately deleted, and users who post them may have their right to post revoked temporarily or permanently.

I believe that politics and religion are definitely topics that should be avoided, but does one mans opinion of facebook really incite or inflame others? Our moderators do a great job, and keep the forum running smoothly but if they choose to censor one mans OPINION, then where does it end? If we can't post our opinion on things that come up on the forum, then I believe that it will shrink down to just a few posts with documented facts and figures. I have really enjoyed the forum for a few years now, for both learning, and adding information that I think could help others with their projects. I log on daily, and have a fairly large reference base to look up info for new SDC members with questions. If our moderator feels the need to delete my posts on what I consider to be normal every day business, I will likely find a better way to spend my time. For better or worse, I had to get this off of my chest. Thanks

It seems these days that anything can be certain to set at least someone off. You never know who or when, either.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

My opinion is that it is not what is said but how it is said that creates a problem. I think we should consider how what we are saying will be received by others.
      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
      50 Champion 2 door*
      53 Commander K Auto*
      53 Commander K overdrive*
      55 President Speedster
      62 GT 4Speed*
      63 Avanti R1*
      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
        ... now I see what seems to be a new warning at the top of the stovehuggers page.
        Pretty certain that policy has existed for quite some time.
        Perhaps Clark recently moved it to a more prominent and recurring spot.

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10,
        '51 Commander Starlight,
        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

A M E N. A lot of people have left this forum, and this club, due to hypersensitivity. As the saying goes about moderators though, it's their world; we're just trying to move around in it.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I tend to agree with tsenecal, as I'm not sure I would know in advance what is likely to inflame someone else. Facebook seems to be the current hot topic, but most of the discussion has been in the context of whether the Stude Fanatics group there was/is taking away a lot of our posters. Given that circumstance, the attributes of this forum vis-a-vis FB seem worthy of discussion. That said, I think the moderation of this forum is excellent, which is one of the reasons that I much prefer this site.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

It's winter.
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                It's winter.
                Jeff, How could you post something so offensive and controversial? We all know that in Argentina, South Africa, Mozambique, Australia, Antarctica, Bolivia and dozens of other places it's Summer. In the future please try to be more inclusive.

Bob

Comment

I joined the forum in 2016 looking for information for the restoration of a 60 Hawk. In that time, I have not really seen a lot of disagreement. Mostly small differences in opinion, that would be expected with the diverse group of people that make up the SDC. I appreciate the responses, and am happy to see that it has not caused any new controversy. I am quite invested in the Studebaker community, as my wife and I operate Studebaker Glass & Rubber. Our customers are, for the most part easy to deal with, and we are happy to help them accomplish their goals of saving, and driving , their Studebaker cars and trucks. If their is a problem with the order, we make it right, and we appreciate their patience when it it necessary. I still work full time, and my wife takes care of things as well as she can on my work days. Again, thanks for the input, and I hope that the forum can continue to provide the great information and friendly banter that we enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                    A while back one of our members added a post with his opinion of Facebook. Not trying to start any new commentary on that, I am completely neutral on the subject. Our moderator followed his comment with a warning, and threatened to close the thread, and delete the post. I responded (with no opinion about facebook) that I felt that he should be entitled to his opinion. There are peoples opinions on every topic imaginable, posted here every day. The moderator deleted both of the posts, and now I see what seems to be a new warning at the top of the stovehuggers page. Quote: Topics and posts concerning or involving politics, religion, or other subjects intended to incite or inflame others are not allowed on this, or any other, portion of the SDC Forums.
                    Such posts will be immediately deleted, and users who post them may have their right to post revoked temporarily or permanently.
                    Tom, there's really not a lot that's taboo here. As you noted, they are pretty much listed at the top of the page! Although I don't really think I need to explain the situation, I will anyway since you've brought it up.

Sometimes people message me privately about the tone of some replies to posts. Sometimes these complaints have merit, and I usually deal with it behind the scenes. Sometimes I need to make a statement in the clear to catch peoples' attention. This was one of those times, and after the poster and I had discussed it privately there was no need to keep the posts or my reply public. They were deleted.

In general we have a great crew here that doesn't need much moderation. But it's always good to read what you're writing from the perspective of the people reading it, pefore you hit the "Post Reply" button .

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                    Pretty certain that policy has existed for quite some time.
                    Perhaps Clark recently moved it to a more prominent and recurring spot.
                    Believe it or not, I have not touched that banner since we fired up the new Forum software 2 years ago. I guess sometimes it's easy to look right past things until the occasion rises up that makes you notice them

Kindly,

Clark

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks Clark, that explains things, and thanks for doing the job that most of us would not care to take on. I may be a bit sensitive when it comes to censorship.

Comment

Tom, you can blame me for closing the "Facebook" thread as I did it. As Clark said, we were requested to close/delete the post. I personally read all of the posts in the thread daily and after that request I did as requested. I look daily at all of the forum posts. However, I do not generally say much unless they are way out of line. The major problem that we need to be careful of is how all of us says things when we post. As, a very famous person said "You can please some of the people some of the time but you cannot please all of the the people all of the time." That's what I try to do when reading forum posts. Our forum is really good at keeping things on the right track. Others I have been a part of are not so good at it. Our goal is to let all enjoy what is posted here and keep it civil. personally I think all who post on our pages do just that.
                        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Thanks Avantidon. I generally try to stay neutral on most topics, and if I feel that my opinion is too far out of line, I try to resist adding anything to the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                            It's winter.
                            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10,
                            '51 Commander Starlight,
                            '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                            '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

That took some effort but was totally worth it. Thanks for the smiles here.

Comment

Working...
                              X