Oshkosh Defense wins contract for U.S. Postal Service delivery vehicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oshkosh Defense wins contract for U.S. Postal Service delivery vehicles

USPS selects Oshkosh Defense for Next Generation Delivery Vehicle fleet (oshkoshcorp.com)

USPS SELECTS OSHKOSH DEFENSE FOR NEXT GENERATION DELIVERY VEHICLE FLEET - Oshkosh Defense

OSHKOSH, Wis. (February 23, 2021) — The U.S. Postal Service (USPS) announced today that it has awarded Oshkosh Defense, a wholly owned subsidiary of Oshkosh Corporation (NYSE: OSK), an indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity (IDIQ) contract to produce the Next Generation Delivery Vehicle (NGDV), the USPS’s first large-scale fleet procurement in three decades. The competitively awarded contract allows for the delivery of between 50,000 and 165,000 vehicles over a period of 10 years.

I believe this is what it looks like, based on a Ford Transit van:

sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

This weblink shows a different version of the delivery truck. Doesn't appear to be based on a Ford.
    This Is The Next USPS Mail Truck (jalopnik.com)

I went directly to the USPS website and they also show the vehicle shown below.
    Next Generation Delivery Vehicle Production Contract Award Announcement - USPS Digital Media

Last edited by Milaca; 02-23-2021, 02:52 PM.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

If Oshkosh is building them they will be good vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Colgate Studebaker View Post
        If Oshkosh is building them they will be good vehicles.
        I like their bib overalls.

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10,
        '51 Commander Starlight,
        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Different Oshkosh Brad. Same town though! LOL

Comment

I noticed the new vehicles will have air-conditioning. My mail man uses an electric fan in his vehicle on the 100 degree plus summer days here. I often wondered how he managed it.

Comment

Like all of the safety features built into this vehicle. Wonder whose power train will be in it.
              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

One safety item missing from the LLV is the pot lid mirror on the front. If a carrier got out of the LLV to deliver a parcel or get a signature the LLV had a blind spot in the front so that a small child or animal could be in the front and the carrier would not be able to see without the pot lid mirror. The newer model does not look any better for that and I am sure the forward collision warning would not help.

As an aside, the USPS ordered several K car station wagons in 1981 without Air-conditioning and without power steering. Fun to drive in 100 degree summers in Tucson. I used one to fix locks for the neighborhood box unit. As they were eliminated, I had to be checked out on the LLV.

Bob Miles

Comment

......I’ll bet this will all be swept away by a new executive order mandating an immediate switch to electric vehicles for ALL govt service. stroke of the pen.

Comment

I watched a very good video on YouTube about by Donut Media (silly name, but good information)postal vehicles. I did not realize they had been using the same vehicles for so long. I guess I assumed they just looked the same. The current vehicles average 9 MPG and apparently they tend to catch fire.
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                      I did not realize they had been using the same vehicles for so long. I guess I assumed they just looked the same. The current vehicles average 9 MPG and apparently they tend to catch fire.
                      You hear a lot of half-truths about LLVs. I drove one for many years (now retired) in all conditions. They were just over 4000 lbs., powered by GM's Iron Duke 4 cyl. They were perfectly designed for their intended use. I suppose that if you tried to drive them at Interstate speeds with their high gearing you might somehow get down to 9 MPG, but that's not how they are used. I have no idea where they would come up with that, or any other, MPG figure. Also, I've heard the fire thing. Have some burned? Sure. Same as literally any vehicle ever made; some will catch fire. I believe it's one of those deals where a picture of one went viral and suddenly they are 'all' fire prone. My district has several hundred LLVs, and have for decades, and I never heard of one in our area catching fire.

BTW, the current LLVs (stands for Long Life Vehicle) were designed to last for 23 years. Mine, ol' 65, was built in 1988, and at 33 years old is still running every day. It's primitive by modern passenger vehicle standards, but was perfect for the job. I will always have a fondness for the ol' beast.
                      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                      Romans 15:13
                      Deuteronomy 31:6
                      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

My partner still searches out core Iron Duke engines to supply the local rebuilder who has the contract for the Post Office. They've been out of production for so long, they're getting scarce.

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

The one point that seemed to be a problem with the LLV in Arizona was the fuel pumps in the May to October period gave up the ghost with the heat. In the office, if a carrier had a fuel pump issue, I would have to take the spare LLV to where the carrier stalled, transfer the mail so they could go on the route, then wait for a mechanic to get there from the main office to replace the fuel pump. It was a snap as in the back you would remove the cover, take the four bolts out and replace the pump.

The LLV did not have a VIN. The USPS used their own set of numbers on top of the windshield header. If it has a 7, it was made in 87, 8 in 88 up to 4 for 1994. All of Tucson still uses LLV vehicles. The vehicles did have to once a year be sent for emissions.

As far as mileage, looking over the charts for gas use there was a formula in our computer to calculate mileage. Usually it was around 13-15 mpg depending on idling and driving habits. We did catch a couple of carriers when the mpg went way down that would occasionally use the station credit card to fill their own personal vehicle. They only did that one time. Usually they were not prosecuted.

Bob Miles

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                            My partner still searches out core Iron Duke engines to supply the local rebuilder who has the contract for the Post Office. They've been out of production for so long, they're getting scarce.

jack vines
                            Here in the northeast all ours come from Jasper Engines
                            https://www.jasperengines.com

One interesting story- maybe 4 years before I retired mine developed a lifter tick. Oil pressure was fine. I put in a work order. I was told to drive it until it blew, even if it happened on the route. I knew the lead tech at the garage so I called him and told him it was probably just a worn rocker. He told me they don’t do any internal repairs, they just replace them. About 3 months later they took it away, still running fine, and put a fresh Jasper engine in. Whatever.
                            Last edited by Bob Andrews; 02-24-2021, 09:30 PM.
                            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                            Romans 15:13
                            Deuteronomy 31:6
                            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

A fair number of Iron Duke 4-cyl engines in 1984 Fieros did catch fire, such that Pontiac issued a recall. I took my '84 Fiero to the GM dealer and they installed a new (improved?) valve cover gasket and a stamped-steel "tray" designed to catch any oil leaking from the valve cover gasket onto the exhaust manifold. (This would probably have been in the late 1980s.)
                              -Dwight

Comment

Working...
                              X