No announcement yet.

Goodyear acquires Cooper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

25 years after our Firestone 500 experience, I purchased a set of Firestone Radials (cheap) at Sears to prepare my 1993 Dodge Grand Caravan for resale.

It dang near cost me the sale as the lady of the house buying the Caravan refused to buy anything with Firestone Tires.

I negotiated a deal with the male side of the household, to have the Firestones removed and a set of Cooper's installed. My Goodyear dealer, who recently sold out, was also a Cooper dealer, and gave me a reasonable deal trading in the unmolested Firestones.

Not to rain on anyone's parade here, but Firestone would have and deserved to go out of business after their mess with the Ford Explorer and the Firestone 500. Bridgestone saved them, and only now that we 70's types are aging out and dying, their name is not poison like it once was. Seriously, Firestone had a terrible reputation with my age group.

Comment

My brother and his wife bought a new Ford Granada in 1977-78. It came with Firestone radials, including spare. Only one tire of the five survived long enough to show significant wear on the treads. There were no accidents as a result, fortunately. But my brother, being a bit of a CASO, kept the remaining one as a spare despite my urgings to get a good tire for his spare.
      -Dwight

Comment

I've had cars with Goodyear, Firestone, Goodrich, Pirelli, Cooper, Kumho and Coker (Firestone rep).
        Lucky I've never had any issues with any of them.

The Coopers on our VW have been outstanding in value and performance.
        I just hope they keep the remaining U.S. factories going as that was a determining factor replacing the OEM Pirellis.
        Andy
        62 GT

Comment

My take is that back in the early 90's it has always been that Firestone took the brunt of the blame when the real culprit was Ford. They built the Explorer at a time when this SUV was extremely popular. In fact Ford sold in excess of ten times (my estimation) more than the closest competitor. The Explorers' door sticker placed the air pressure recommendation at 26 PSI because their trucks rode so harshly and Ford was trying to smooth the ride quality because these SUV's were being mostly used as passenger cars. Therefore the exposure for Firestone was incredibly more than say BFG, Goodyear or Michelin on those same Explorers because of their massive popularity. When did you hear of Firestones exploding on an Isuzu Rodeo? In our service center we would regularly check air pressures and it was not uncommon to find any number of tires down about 10 lbs from the original recommended pressure. This isn't such a big deal if you are starting with 35 PSI BUT it is a huge deal when people who don't check their tires regularly, are now running at 16 lbs. Although not such a problem in mostly cold Canada, it was a huge deal in the southern HOT states where speed limits allowed speeds up to 75 or 80 MPH. Have you any idea how much flex was happening, which quickly leads to expanded temperatures well beyond any safety margin? I always said it wouldn't matter what brand you were driving on at high highway speeds, in hotter climates with only 16 psi in the tires due to neglect. Sooner or later a tire failure and usually a crash was evident.
          Adding to this was the fact those early Explorers were so top heavy with very sloppy handling traits resulting in the Firestone's failure ending up in roll over accidents.
          When ever we replaced tires on the Explorers we would use either a P metric rated to a maximum pressure of 40 psi or a Light Truck 6 ply with a 50 psi maximum. We never adhered to Ford's pressure recommendations and all vehicles left our premises with a minimum of 35 PSI .
          Just my take. Been there done that.
          Slight drift from the Cooper posting but right now I am running Cooper Avalanche Studded Winters and believe me I need them.

Comment

Good point on the pressure recommendations and the reason for them bearing a good deal of the responsibility, Buzzard. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
            X