Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer Perry Mason sought...In the case of the "missing" DVD Drive...............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Perry Mason sought...In the case of the "missing" DVD Drive...............

Ok to try to follow this PC for dummies person. When I go to "my computer' among listings for removable drives are two listings that is the subject of this note ..............one listing says DVD drive "I" the second says DVD RW-Drive "D" Follow me so far?? Ok...now when I attempt to send pictures on my hard drive there is no listing for the DVD "I" drive, so I can not send something to something that does not appear. Now I do have a 32GB thumb drive...when I put it in to the PC the following comes up..."removable disk "J" Now if I go to my pictures I can send those images to the "J" thumb drive. My question is where the H is the "I" DVD drive It does not come up as a place I can send picture to? It sure is part of the PC but no ability to send to it????

Dumb question #1: So you do have the actual drive hardware installed, right.

So far as I know, you cannot just copy files to a CD or DVD drive like it was any other drive like the hard drive, a flash (USB or camera card) or a good old floppy disk.

Those disks are "burned" and you have to use a utility program to do that. Most computers come with such a utility. Can't say I have done this for some time so not sure what is out there for that. I made some home-made music CD's years ago on a different computer after using some sound editing software to capture audio from some old LP records. The burner program had to be configured to load up the music files. Depending on the drive and settings, the process can take a while.

Right now, this current computer I have all the home videos from the 80s-2000s in files on a 2nd hard drive and I have been meaning to burn all those to DVDs but have not yet.

Jeff in ND

Comment

But when I go "my computer" it does show what hardware is installed...........it is just that when I want to send picture to this "I" drive the picture is not in the drop down box, Hence impossible to send something that there is no final address for . Remember if I put my 35GB thumb drive into the USB port it does come up as "external" device...drive "J"....and yes I can andhave sent picture from my hard drive to the thumb drive "J"

Comment

Right,

You cannot save or copy files directly to a CD/DVD drive. Those need a utility program to "burn" or write to them. So, no copy/paste or drag/drop of files like any other drive.

Its like carving a master record with a lathe in a sense. In this case, a special program is used to record the disk with your info.

Jeff in ND

Comment

But why can I send to the "J" drive external device? (35 GB thumbdrive)

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
            But why can I send to the "J" drive external device? (35 GB thumbdrive)
            Because the J drive is another formatted drive like your hard drive. So you can move files around by just dragging and dropping. These drives are programmed to see the files and let you manipulate them as you see.

As Jeff said, a DVD/CD drive has no internal capacity to understand what you trying to do nor memory or space to do it.. Just a machine to read/write files so until a program under control of the computer tells (instructs) the DVD/CD drive what to put on the plastic disk it has in it, nothing happens. If not plastic disc nothing to write on. The CD drive is the CAM part of a CAD/CAM. It needs a program to tell it what to do.

The other drives know what to do when you add a file as they are pre-programmed and have memory. CD drive, dumb as a stump until the computer tell it what to do. Each drive will have a letter assigned to it by the computer no matter whether it is as long as the computer sees it.

Lastly, as long as the computer can see the drive, it will work with it whether it's internal or external. It doesn't care.

Bob

Comment

LOL for some reason all the "burning" programs I had on the PC stopped working? Like "Nero Burning" etc?

Comment

Now this is nuts!..........if I go to my pictures and click on any picture the drop box offers....."send to.................." so for the Heck of it I clicked "D" drive..which is DVD-RW............then when I go to this drive and click open, the specific picture is there??? Can someone tell this PC dummy what the H is going on???

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
                  Now this is nuts!..........if I go to my pictures and click on any picture the drop box offers....."send to.................." so for the Heck of it I clicked "D" drive..which is DVD-RW............then when I go to this drive and click open, the specific picture is there??? Can someone tell this PC dummy what the H is going on???
                  Did you have a DVD Rewrite-able disk in the D drive when you first attempted writing to it? You can save/write to the C drive (HDD) as well as a thumb drive. You will also be able to see the picture in the temporary file for the “D” DVD-RW , but won’t be able to write it (save) until you insert a writable disk into the “D” drive. Good Luck!
                  1963 Studebaker GT Hawk R1 63V-33867
                  1964 Studebaker Avanti R1 R-5364
                  1970 Avanti II RQA-0385
                  1981 Avanti II RQB-3304

Comment

Many thanks.............jeeze I rather bet doing an oil change on my Stude:-)

Comment

Working...
                    X