New Ford trucks with generators in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ford trucks with generators in Texas

Kind of an interesting idea. I didn’t look close, but I’m wondering how these trucks would be sold when they came back, new or used? And, who eats the rest of the loss? I don’t picture $600 covering it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yah...155100064.html
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

According to today's Motor Trend Blog, customers who already own one of those 2021 trucks are using the on-board generators successfully during the emergency. Excellent testimonies:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021...7F63AA5FC796CB
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
      Kind of an interesting idea. I didn’t look close, but I’m wondering how these trucks would be sold when they came back, new or used? And, who eats the rest of the loss? I don’t picture $600 covering it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yah...155100064.html
      A curious conundrum regarding "used." The Automotive News report of this program says Ford is offering the $600 to dealers to put them in their "loaner" fleet, like trucks that would be loaned to customers having heavy warranty repairs done that required several days.

But if the trucks are just going out to have their generators used, they could come back with few miles on them. For example, say a person lives 20 miles from the dealership and the truck came back with 40 miles on the odometer...but the on-board generator had been run continuously for five days at full capacity.

I wonder if there is an hour meter, like on a tractor or industrial equipment, to indicate how many hours the truck was used in that capacity, rather than the miles it's traveled. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        I wonder if there is an hour meter, like on a tractor or industrial equipment, to indicate how many hours the truck was used in that capacity, rather than the miles it's traveled.
        Yes they do, Bob.

If one toggles the arrow keys on the steering wheel, there will be an on-board readout between the speedo and the tach that will show idle hours. It does on my 2015 F150.

Craig
        Last edited by 8E45E; 02-19-2021, 04:29 PM. Reason: added photo

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

A curious conundrum regarding "used." The Automotive News report of this program says Ford is offering the $600 to dealers to put them in their "loaner" fleet, like trucks that would be loaned to customers having heavy warranty repairs done that required several days.

But if the trucks are just going out to have their generators used, they could come back with few miles on them. For example, say a person lives 20 miles from the dealership and the truck came back with 40 miles on the odometer...but the on-board generator had been run continuously for five days at full capacity.

I wonder if there is an hour meter, like on a tractor or industrial equipment, to indicate how many hours the truck was used in that capacity, rather than the miles it's traveled. BP
          It will be an interesting decision as to how these trucks are classified. At minimum one would think it would be leverage for negotiation. And with today's truck prices, a buyer will need any help they can get.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post

It will be an interesting decision as to how these trucks are classified. At minimum one would think it would be leverage for negotiation. And with today's truck prices, a buyer will need any help they can get.
            It looks like they will be marketed as former "loaner" vehicles...which is fair enough, and certainly accurate. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

In relation to the recent widespread power outages, today I found an article about a Canadian train being used to supply power for a suburb of Montreal back in 1998.
              A Canadian Town Once Derailed a Diesel Train for Emergency Power (gizmodo.com)
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

That locomotive was built by the Montreal Locomotive Works, which at one time was owned by Studebaker-Worthington. It came to Studebaker as part of the merger with Worthington in 1967.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

I seem to remember that Norfolk & Western steamer #1218 spent the earlier part of its retirement as a (back up?) generator at a Union Carbide plant.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

Yes they do, Bob.

If one toggles the arrow keys on the steering wheel, there will be an on-board readout between the speedo and the tach that will show idle hours. It does on my 2015 F150.

Craig
                    Cool beans, Craig; thanks. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

31.0 MPH average for Craig's truck.
                      Last edited by studegary; 02-20-2021, 07:37 AM. Reason: added average
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                      X