Kanters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kanters

Can anyone tell me what is going on with Kanters. I have e-mailed them a few times in the last week, no response. Called today & got an answering machine- left a message but again no response. I need to order some parts, but haven't been able to make contact. Thanks.

I’m not sure what the problem maybe. They have a nice catalog but there isn’t much in it that I can’t get from one of the Studebaker vendors. Studebaker vendors know our cars better and have the parts that fit and work. If you looking at waxes or non Studebaker specific stuff go for it.

Comment

May be weather related. I emailed last week requesting a Packard catalog and got an immediate reply from Dan Kanter. The catalog arrived in just three days. Please don’t give up on them, they advertise in Turning Wheels.
      Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
      Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

Definitely not the "Go to" place for Post War Studebaker Parts, unless you enjoy spending Double for things.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I have no idea about Kanters other than I live in NJ and we have nothing but snow and ice for ten days.

Comment

On a related idea the beer stays cold in the garage near the door with zero help, and I can simply tell the wife I'm checking the cars. She does notice yellow snow outside the the garage but I tell her the animals are incredible to come that close to our house.

Comment

That place scared me forty years ago......they Still in there?

Comment

I can remember over 50 years ago they were renting warehouses in the Morris county N.J. area for all their Packards and parts , One of our members who has a Packard seems to be happy with them , Ed

Comment

Well, speaking of NJ and snow and snow. At the Jersey Shore, I measured 12 inches and a few drifts. Our lawn guy arrive last night around 10pm and plowed and piled snow. Spring will be fun as our gravel driveway is all over the place, except on the driveway.
                  Nonetheless, Its a nice time on weekends to really detail and polish all the chrome. Decided to pull and check on the sparkplugs on my 64 R1 Hawk after about 1500 miles. Seems all good. A couple of cigars later, and life is good again.
                  Mark

Comment

I spotted a dandelion in the back yard last Sunday! Just a brisk 52 today, but has rained almost all week, Tomorrow, 52 and rain, but Sunday 52 and sunny!
                    I feel for you guys, there IS a reason we left Indiana.

Jim
                    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                    their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by jts359 View Post
                      I can remember over 50 years ago they were renting warehouses in the Morris county N.J. area for all their Packards and parts , One of our members who has a Packard seems to be happy with them , Ed
                      Ed - didn’t Kantor grind the crank on the M5?

Comment

Originally posted by Silverplate View Post
                        May be weather related. I emailed last week requesting a Packard catalog and got an immediate reply from Dan Kanter. The catalog arrived in just three days. Please don’t give up on them, they advertise in Turning Wheels.
                        I am not too proud to subject myself to being corrected, so if any of you know differently, let me know. That said, my impression is that the Kanters are primarily Packard-oriented folks with a natural association with Studebaker as they have a connection due to the "death spiral clutch" both engaged in as they struggled for survival and relevance in automotive production. While their Studebaker parts offerings are not as prominent and broad as other parts, they are nonetheless Studebaker vendors.

In my opinion, the lack of Studebaker vendors outside the association of SDC membership is a compliment to the dedication of the SDC organization, members, and staff. The tenacity, passion, and longevity of members who have preserved parts, contracted for reproductions, and even passed on their enterprises to others willing to sustain the business is remarkable.

My hope is that, absent a definitive explanation, we exercise caution in publicly criticizing a vendor. For some, even successful long-time vendors, it is a sideline, hobby. Some a staff of ONE, and others, only a tolerant family with other interests. In spite of it all...we are very fortunate to have such an abundance of alternatives and options for more than a half-century after any business known as The Studebaker Corporation has been in production.
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

jclary, nicely said there.

Comment

No longer remember the details, but about 20 years ago, Kanter greatly expanded their product line beyond Packard parts to include parts for nearly all old American cars, including Studebaker. The expansion was obvious from the size of their regular ads in Hemmings and other old car pubs. Pretty sure most of the stuff was new, purchased in China, though I believe they also bought out a large warehouse full of NORS parts from another long-time vendor. I bought some brake parts and a carb rebuild kit for a 37 LaSalle from them. I never compared their prices with any other vendors -- the convenience of knowing they had the stuff in stock, and that I didn't have to make 20 phone calls made me choose them.
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                            X