X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hallabutt
    replied
    Craig,

We were there too. The story of the collection dispersal was heartbreaking. With a number of rare and even one of a kind cars in the collection it was a national treasure. For me the pre-war display was especially inthrolling. Many were models that I had never seen before. Now I will probably never see them again.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
    You can always find anything that is referenced in the Forum! Truly amazing. You should get the needle in the haystack award.
    I took those photos in 2012 while attending the International Meet in South Bend that year. The ASC incorporated the Hostetler Museum on its Friday Tour.

I expressed my disapproval over the fate of the collection here:
    Interesting article RE: Car Museums - Studebaker Drivers Club Forum

Craig

Leave a comment:

• 6hk71400
    replied
    Craig,

You can always find anything that is referenced in the Forum! Truly amazing. You should get the needle in the haystack award.

Bob Miles

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
    In the waning days of the Hoover Administration, the Commerce Department purchase many Essex Panel delivery trucks for the Post Office. Their durability was not long with the small six moving lots of mail. Rod and Bearing failure was the main cause.
    There was one in the now closed Hostetler Museum.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• 6hk71400
    replied
    In the waning days of the Hoover Administration, the Commerce Department purchase many Essex Panel delivery trucks for the Post Office. Their durability was not long with the small six moving lots of mail. Rod and Bearing failure was the main cause.

The Secretary of Commerce at the time was......Roy D Chapin, formally of Hudson. After the new administration came in March 1933, Roy D Chapin went back to the Hudson Motor Car Company.

Bob Miles

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
    According to records, my father traded a mule for a model t pickup with the local water dept.
    So you're saying it was a half-ass transaction?

Leave a comment:

• 64studeavanti
    replied
    According to records, my father traded a mule for a model t pickup with the local water dept.

Leave a comment:

• firestoper 25
    replied
    Well maybe the 'Idaho potato ' truck with the red Studebaker pick up as a sweetener .

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    My grandfather traded a sack of potatoes for a 1929 Essex back in the 1940's. Can you imagine trading potatoes for a used car these days?

Leave a comment:

• 6hk71400
    replied
    I think Craig is correct. The thing I find interesting is the fact there were any 1929 Essex models around in 1946. The car was powered by a 160 CID engine with "3" main bearings. They were inexpensive in comparison to the parent Hudson, but not as reliable. In 1929, Essex was the third best selling United States brand behind Ford and Chevrolet.

Bob Miles

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    1929 Essex Super Six

Craig

Leave a comment:

• calntvs
    replied
    Not a Buick, wrong shape radiator shell and suicide front doors

Leave a comment:

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    Now I just got a tip that it could be Essex & I googled it & that seems right...

Leave a comment:

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    Okidoki, that'll do for me, thanx Bob!

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Late 20s / early 30s Buick. Need a Buick expert to weigh in.

OOPS! More discriminating minds have weighed in below. I stand corrected. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 02-18-2021, 03:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X