What car brand is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What car brand is this?

A friend wanted to know what kind of car this is?
    (it was his grandfather who bought it in 1946)

Click image for larger version

Name:	wermland.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1881055
    sigpic

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Late 20s / early 30s Buick. Need a Buick expert to weigh in.

OOPS! More discriminating minds have weighed in below. I stand corrected. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 02-18-2021, 03:38 PM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Okidoki, that'll do for me, thanx Bob!
      sigpic

Josephine
      Champion V8
      4d sedan

Comment

Now I just got a tip that it could be Essex & I googled it & that seems right...
        sigpic

Josephine
        Champion V8
        4d sedan

Comment

Not a Buick, wrong shape radiator shell and suicide front doors

Comment

1929 Essex Super Six

Craig

Comment

I think Craig is correct. The thing I find interesting is the fact there were any 1929 Essex models around in 1946. The car was powered by a 160 CID engine with "3" main bearings. They were inexpensive in comparison to the parent Hudson, but not as reliable. In 1929, Essex was the third best selling United States brand behind Ford and Chevrolet.

Bob Miles

Comment

My grandfather traded a sack of potatoes for a 1929 Essex back in the 1940's. Can you imagine trading potatoes for a used car these days?
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Well maybe the 'Idaho potato ' truck with the red Studebaker pick up as a sweetener .

Comment

According to records, my father traded a mule for a model t pickup with the local water dept.
                    78 Avanti RQB 2792
                    64 Avanti R1 R5408
                    63 Avanti R1 R4551
                    63 Avanti R1 R2281
                    62 GT Hawk V15949
                    56 GH 6032504
                    56 GH 6032588
                    55 Speedster 7160047
                    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
                      According to records, my father traded a mule for a model t pickup with the local water dept.
                      So you're saying it was a half-ass transaction?
                      sigpic
                      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

In the waning days of the Hoover Administration, the Commerce Department purchase many Essex Panel delivery trucks for the Post Office. Their durability was not long with the small six moving lots of mail. Rod and Bearing failure was the main cause.

The Secretary of Commerce at the time was......Roy D Chapin, formally of Hudson. After the new administration came in March 1933, Roy D Chapin went back to the Hudson Motor Car Company.

Bob Miles

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                          In the waning days of the Hoover Administration, the Commerce Department purchase many Essex Panel delivery trucks for the Post Office. Their durability was not long with the small six moving lots of mail. Rod and Bearing failure was the main cause.
                          There was one in the now closed Hostetler Museum.

Craig

Comment

Craig,

You can always find anything that is referenced in the Forum! Truly amazing. You should get the needle in the haystack award.

Bob Miles

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                              You can always find anything that is referenced in the Forum! Truly amazing. You should get the needle in the haystack award.
                              I took those photos in 2012 while attending the International Meet in South Bend that year. The ASC incorporated the Hostetler Museum on its Friday Tour.

I expressed my disapproval over the fate of the collection here:
                              Interesting article RE: Car Museums - Studebaker Drivers Club Forum

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X