Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behind the scenes of Super bowl Flyover

B1 Lancer, B2 Spirt and B52 Stratofortress - Air Power

Thanks Bill!! We live about 75 miles north of Tampa and the stadium, and we could hear the planes as they headed north. They were too high or out over the water so we couldn't see them, but we sure could hear them. Bill

Comment

Have there been any figures reported on the cost to the American taxpayers?
      I know, I know; the pilots are required to a number of flight hours and why not do it in a nationally televised event but, just curious how much it costs to fly any one of those for a given hour.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Ref; post # 3

It's priceless. They fly - we stay free.

Hope this isn't too political now.

Comment

John, that doesn't answer the question.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10,
          '51 Commander Starlight,
          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
            Have there been any figures reported on the cost to the American taxpayers?
            I know, I know; the pilots are required to a number of flight hours and why not do it in a nationally televised event but, just curious how much it costs to fly any one of those for a given hour.
            https://acquisitiontalk.com/2019/08/...20respectively.
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

rockne 10 ;

Yes you are right, it wasn't meant as an answer. DEEPNHOCK is taking care of that.

Several years ago a fellow that worked where I did asked me to go for a plane ride with him on a Saturday. So it turned out to be on a KC tanker doing refueling runs.....needless to say my jaw dropped when I saw how the day was going to be unfolding. It is too bad that every tax payer does not have an annual 'ride-a-long' time to inspect what we are funding each tax period. And yes you and I will bet there some areas of U.S. Tax Payer dollars that the folks would be embarrassed to see the light of day.....but that is a topic to have over coffee and breakfast at another time.

Yes you are also right that I am a 'how much does it cost & who is paying' type of fellow....way too many years in industry realizing that there is no free lunch and I will not give that view up with old age. So as I am looking up the rectum of my 8 th decade I have come to realize that certain charges are unavoidable and maybe even desirable considering the options. In that case I want to get the MOST I can for the $$ we have spent.

rockne 10 I bet you and I are looking at the same horse, with the same end goals, however from different ends ( you get to pick which end you believe I am looking up ).

And this is a great way to spend a -10 below winter day when the wife is waiting for me to help with the house work

And in closing to all

Comment

Originally posted by firestoper 25 View Post
                Yes you are also right that I am a 'how much does it cost & who is paying' type of fellow....way too many years in industry realizing that there is no free lunch and I will not give that view up with old age. So as I am looking up the rectum of my 8 th decade I have come to realize that certain charges are unavoidable and maybe even desirable considering the options. In that case I want to get the MOST I can for the $$ we have spent.

rockne 10 I bet you and I are looking at the same horse, with the same end goals, however from different ends ( you get to pick which end you believe I am looking up ).
                It looks like we are both riding that same horse, including that 8th decade.
                And I wouldn't take that bet we are looking at the horse from different ends.

And thanks, Jeff for the five-year-old figures on cost per hour of flying Air Force planes at that time.
                But I would bet our Air Force actually has a real number in their budget for last weekend's show; which was my inquiry.
                Last edited by rockne10; 02-15-2021, 10:09 AM.

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10,
                '51 Commander Starlight,
                '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Just last week, WE the taxpayer had a huge amount of OUR money wasted.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by billslark View Post
                    WE the taxpayer had a huge amount of OUR money wasted.

Bill
                    Bill, I didn't mean to imply it was wasted; I simply asked how much it cost.

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10,
                    '51 Commander Starlight,
                    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

But I would bet our Air Force actually has a real number in their budget for last weekend's show; which was my inquiry.
                      Yes, this kind of activity will be identified (probably as part of PR) in the AF budget. The manager of the that program in USAF HQ will reimburse the squadron(s) involved for the flying hours.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Bill, I didn't mean to imply it was wasted; I simply asked how much it cost.
                        Wow, You missed my point by a mile. I was not referring to the flyover at the ballgame, which I had no problem with.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by billslark View Post
                          Wow, You missed my point by a mile. I was not referring to the flyover at the ballgame, which I had no problem with.

Bill
                          I certainly hope you weren't making reference to anything political, as that is verbotten, and a direct route to getting deleted.

"Topics and posts concerning or involving politics, religion, or other subjects intended to incite or inflame others are not allowed on this, or any other, portion of the SDC Forums."

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10,
                          '51 Commander Starlight,
                          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

"incite or inflame" isn't that what happens in the combustion chamber (either naturally aspirated / turbo charged / super charged) ?

So to my related inquiry ....has anyone used one of those water / alcohol injection kits with the Studebaker SN blowers to control pre ignition? I remember looking in on a 'home built' exhaust smoke system at the E.A.A. fly-in many years ago that was used in stunt flying demos. The automotive kit they used was by Speed----something (I can't recall the rest....but they were a player in the turbo charged Pinto <oh-oh, back to the vertboten inflame topic again!!> , Vega 4 banger craze). The bomber fly over popped this into mind when the jet engines left on / off contrails during the flight = E.A.A. stunt plane = my 63R1089 engine rattle on Shell premium = water / alcohol injection experience.

Side bar question; did Studebaker airplane (or Packard's plane - marine engines ) engines ever have alcohol injection?

See, you knew I would get it all tied together - airplane's / Studebaker's / equipment question .

O yah, the darn injection kits are around $ 300 - 500, so I don't to whizz dollars out the window just to have a pretty toy. If it going to ride, it has to make it faster.

Comment

I certainly hope you weren't making reference to anything political, as that is verbotten, and a direct route to getting deleted.

"Topics and posts concerning or involving politics, religion, or other subjects intended to incite or inflame others are not allowed on this, or any other, portion of the SDC Forums."
                              Now you're just jumping to conclusions. Wow, what a jack wagon.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X