My Studebaker's Extended Warrenty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Studebaker's Extended Warrenty

Like many of you I get a regular phone call asking to talk about my vehicle's extended warranty. They always claim it is the last time they will call me. This time I pressed 1 to be connected with a representative. A woman with a heavy accent asked me for the year, make, and model of my car. I replied, "1947 Studebaker M5." She asked if I had another vehicle. I assured her this was my primary mode of transportation. She thanked me and hung up! I am outraged! I was so looking forward to having all future work performed on my truck by a competent mechanic while paying only a nominal monthly fee! This is fraud! Who do I complain to?

The Edsel folks.

Comment

The Warranty calls I get they say your Warranty has run out, when I say which Car is that, they are usually GONE!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Similar situation a couple of years ago. I would usually hang up but this day I was feeling a little froggy. Pressed one and got some young sounding, chirpy female; "Thanks for talking with me, what is your car? 1960 Studebaker Lark. A what? 1960 Studebaker Lark. I would really like to extend the warranty. Click"

They have started back again recently, so I have asked about getting the warranty on either my 2001 F-350 or my 2001 Windstar mini van. Same result, click.
        Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Comment

Originally posted by bumpkinvilledano View Post
          Similar situation a couple of years ago. I would usually hang up but this day I was feeling a little froggy. Pressed one and got some young sounding, chirpy female; "Thanks for talking with me, what is your car? 1960 Studebaker Lark. A what? 1960 Studebaker Lark. I would really like to extend the warranty. Click"

They have started back again recently, so I have asked about getting the warranty on either my 2001 F-350 or my 2001 Windstar mini van. Same result, click.
          I just hang up on them, but was wondering about your second case since my newest cars are both 2001 models.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I thought I might be the only one that held on the line and gave them the Stude. answer.. Works every time for me.

Comment

I've had a few more of these calls for both extending my car's warranty AND for lower interest rates on my credit card. When I start asking questions about the offers they just hang up on me. One guy called me a M-Fer. I am outraged.

Comment

Treat them like Jake from State Farm, by asking them "what are you wearing?". If the reply is "khakis", you might at least get a good laugh from it.
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I'll press the "1" button, and when the real person answers, I tell them they have reached the Colonoscopy Help Line, then ask them if they have a cell phone with a camera. If they say yes, I ask if they would be interested in the new Do-It-Yourself Colonoscopy Kit for use with their cell phone, complete with instructions. Most of them hang up at this point, but there are always a few that start asking questions.
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Ref post # 9

Well your idea is really going to make me think twice about buying a rebuilt flip phones . I would not want to get one of those ' colonoscopy ' phones that had been rebuilt .

Comment

I used to get a bit of entertainment out of answering these calls and messing with the sales drone at the other end, but have long since stopped with that... so many robocalls, and the amount of them received increases sharply for a few weeks after the computer at the other end chalks up your number as a "live one" if you pick up... and then proceeds to sell it off to other spambos.
                      Whirling dervish of misinformation.

Comment

Recently I received a scam call , as soon as the caller started talking, I knew what the scam was. The call went like this.................Grandpa is that you? ( I don't go by Grandpa to my Grandchildren) And I relied Yes. The caller said " This is your Grandson". I replied........Is that you Leroy? ( I don't have a Grandson named Leroy ). The caller said yes it is. I played along and asked some very easy to answer questions trying my best to burn up as much of the callers' time as I could.

Finally the caller said Grandpa, I've got a problem...............I'm in jail. I replied, with how , why, where etc. "Leroy" proceeds to tell me he was arrested for D.U.I. and is in jail and needs bail money. To burn up more time I asked "Leroy" for all of the details of how this could happen. I asked how he is being treated, how is the food, where is your car, anything to burn up more time. "Leroy" tells me he needs $5000.00 . As that point, I asked him to tell me again where he is in jail. "Leroy" tells me he is in some small town in New Jersey.

I then tell "Leroy" this your lucky day, and "Leroy" is puzzled by that statement and asks, what makes him so lucky.............all of this is burning up more time. I tell "Leroy" to sit tight, you'll be out of jail in an hour or so. "Leroy" says.........So you are sending the money? I relied, NO, his "luck" is that the Governor of New Jersey and I went to school together ( I have no idea who the Governor of New Jersey is ) and I'll call him and you'll be out in no time. CLICK

Comment

...... my technique is as soon as they start to talk, I talk. They stop, being polite. I wait till they start again and immediately I start talking. Oh this can go on for a bit.
                          Last edited by 64V19816; 03-30-2021, 05:14 PM.

Comment

After my greeting and finding out what the call is, I often just leave the phone connected until I receive the beeping sound. I figure that this ties up at least one of their lines.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post
                              Recently I received a scam call , as soon as the caller started talking, I knew what the scam was. The call went like this.................Grandpa is that you? ( I don't go by Grandpa to my Grandchildren) And I relied Yes. The caller said " This is your Grandson". I replied........Is that you Leroy? ( I don't have a Grandson named Leroy ). The caller said yes it is. I played along and asked some very easy to answer questions trying my best to burn up as much of the callers' time as I could.

Finally the caller said Grandpa, I've got a problem...............I'm in jail. I replied, with how , why, where etc. "Leroy" proceeds to tell me he was arrested for D.U.I. and is in jail and needs bail money. To burn up more time I asked "Leroy" for all of the details of how this could happen. I asked how he is being treated, how is the food, where is your car, anything to burn up more time. "Leroy" tells me he needs $5000.00 . As that point, I asked him to tell me again where he is in jail. "Leroy" tells me he is in some small town in New Jersey.

I got the same call and I don't have a grandson but played along.
                              After his sad story I said "You know how I feel about drinking, I won't help you with this." Then I hung up.
                              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                              50 Champion 2 door*
                              53 Commander K Auto*
                              53 Commander K overdrive*
                              55 President Speedster
                              62 GT 4Speed*
                              63 Avanti R1*
                              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Working...